My mother in law constantly invites people over to the house: Advice?

There’s two sides… she lays rent… that’s like you paying rent and not being able to have your friends over… but yes it shouldn’t be every day kind of thing and there should be conversation about it before people come over. But it is your house and you should be able to have peace in your own home…really you need to just sit down with both of them and discuss that it needs to be discussed before people are over. And ask that it not be every day. Don’t completely say no guests when she is paying rent. Because she is paying to stay there.

1 Like

Sister. I will pray for you. I promise. We love you and your family. Hold hands with your husband and pray. The Holy spirit will find y’all

4 Likes

Its not that hard she respects the rules or gets tf out period. Your husband don’t like it he can go right along with her. Don’t allow them to dictate ur home

2 Likes

She has to go , that’s never gonna work telling u to get out of ur living room like fuck I would :joy:, also yes she has other kids and grandkids but how does she not go visit them at there houses sometimes no one wants vistors none stop am sure ur husband wouldn’t like it if the shoe was on the other foot and it was ur family I 100 percent wouldn’t allow myself to be bossed about in my own house and have no say over it.

If she pays rent she has every right to have people over. If you don’t need the extra money that comes in from her paying rent then have her move. The plain fact that she tells you to move out however is ridiculous :roll_eyes: If you and your husband own the house she shouldn’t be saying that unless it’s her house!!

10 Likes

Either sit down an have hubby see your side an if he doesn’t then take the steps yourself too evict her . You shouldn’t be talked down on around your child nor should you have to tolerate visitors if you don’t want them. Suggest her too something she may be able too afford… make sure your name is on that house…

1 Like

Can you not convert the garage into a granny flat with it’s own front door? She can have people over anytime she like then without disturbing your peace , brave woman who agrees to have their mil in her house , mine would of been under a patio :scream:

12 Likes

She’s got to go and if your husband doesn’t want her to, then he has got to go too.

12 Likes

Try agreeing to certain days for her visits, certain days no visits. Tell her you want her to be comfortable and you just need some down time. It really isn’t too much to ask.

3 Likes

I’d be giving her an eviction notice

4 Likes

Well she could always take her rent money and go get her own place then she ccx an have whoever se wanted over when ever

4 Likes

Legally, the only thing you can do is serve her with a 30 day eviction notice. Regardless of what paperwork she is on, anything, if she receives mail there and pays rent, she is a tenant and there is a legal way to go about evicting her. Also, evictions may not be happening in your state right now. As a tenant to the property, you cannot tell her she can’t have guests over. There is literally NOTHING you can do besides legally evict her. I also read it as she is having her other children/grandchildren over and if that’s the case then yes, you’re in the wrong as your husband says. It’s literal family she is having over. You just sound a little grinchy.

2 Likes

Find her a new place

2 Likes

Tell her to pack up n move out

1 Like

If she threatens to move out because of it. Help pack her bags… No need to live with parents or inlaws… That’s just asking for trouble

5 Likes

She needs to move out! It never works living with another person.

1 Like

She pays rent, sooo… yeah, she can have people over. As you said IT IS HER OTHER GRANDKIDS…,Not strangers and MAYBE there is more to the story and that is why your husband is taking his mother’s side. If you don’t like it, let her move out and stop complaining about her seeing her grandkids

If she threatens to move out then let her move out.

4 Likes

She needs her own place. Girl bye.

2 Likes

Yikes. Serve her an eviction notice and if hubs isn’t on board with it, he can go with her :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Compromise for the situation would b leaveeee. It’s covid and she’s bringing people over every day she’s endangering ur households & if hubby can’t understand that then mayb he should go with her!

3 Likes

Time for her to leave

2 Likes

“She threatens to move out…” so let her? If you don’t want her to move out, A. She shouldn’t be paying rent B. Deal with the situation you’re putting yourself in. Also, without further information, kinda sounds like she’s doing it because she knows it bothers you. Awful and childish, but more reason to wish her well, that the door doesn’t hit her on her way out.

6 Likes

Talk to him.
Tell him you’re stressed out and annoyed. That its she leaves or you do.

Oh hell no!! You should leave???!! Wth!??? And he didn’t put a stop to that right then and there!!??? Um. Nope!!!

Nope there needs to be a conversation, mom need to move to the others siblings, her own place or an assisted living place if she needs more care. I don’t care who you are , my home is mine and you will respect it or you won’t live here!!
If my own spouse couldn’t respect me and my wishes I’d be rethinking the whole relationship!

If she’s paying rent she has as much right to do as she wishes in her home as you do in your home. Besides compromising & coming to a solution which doesn’t sound possible at this point it only option is to move out. Take your daughter. File legal separation & child support immediately. Have him file for visitation right before he can see your kid. He’ll get mad & fix it to get you back.

4 Likes

Give her certain days for company. Either that or the next time she threatens to move out. Tell her you will help her find a place. Your husband needs to support you.

5 Likes

We are in a pandemic tell her to move out if you don’t want ppl there you don’t want to risk getting you or your kids sick.

2 Likes

Any other time I would say pick your battles. But during a pandemic, nope. She can go see them. It makes much more sense than everyone bringing germs into your house.
Husband should get in board with this unless he wants a divorce

2 Likes

Hmm sounds like a situation where you tell ur husband either she leaves or you leave :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

When you take rent from someone that’s what you will deal with

1 Like

This is why you can’t have people living with you. IT’s hard enough when nobody lives with you much less adding extra stress. I would advise working toward getting her out of your home before it ends your marriage.

3 Likes

Since she pays you guys rent you cannot tell her who she cant have in the home. What these other folks keep saying about her leaving well legally she has every single right to be in that home because the poster must of not known about the laws regarding other ppl living in their home especially someone who pays them rent. They will need to legally go thru the courts to evict her after giving her a 30 day notice and if shes not out by the 30 days then they can evict BUT they have to give a judge a good reason besides her MIL having ppl come over. But if u wanna go ahead and leave then you’re more than welcome to leave but legally you cannot kick your mother in law out cause you got your panties in a wad over her having ppl over cause you should’ve thought of that before allowing her to live with yall and before accepting any type of money as rent from her.

6 Likes

Maybe all three of you sit down and discuss all the issues, see if you can compromise somewhere, if not then maybe it’s time to leave

1 Like

If she pays rent it’s her home too she should be able to invite people round the same as you should be able to if you both can’t agree maybe you should both look for separate houses

4 Likes

give her certain days to have people over and for her to tell you go to your room dont think so maybe send her and her guests to her room rent or not dont let her treat you like this and if hubby dont like it put them both out

2 Likes

she tells you to leave and in front of your daughter? … and your husband takes her side ? … maybe you should tell her to leave since she is choosing to disrespect you in your own home … and maybe you should tell your husband to leave since he is letting his mom disrespect you and won’t take your side like he should

12 Likes

Giiiirrrlllll !!! I’d be petty and give the silent treatment AND tell hubby to sleep on the couch. When he asks why, tell him “You don’t care about what I have to say? You wanna disrespect my feelings? You want to treat me like an outcast? You wanna act like I don’t matter? You gotta lot to think about so until then, since you don’t want a partner in this marriage, you don’t get the benefits either. You either love me and want us to work or you don’t.”

14 Likes

For the record, just because someone pays rent in your home, it does not give them the right to do whatever they want in your home. The renter does not have the same privileges as the homeowner. Period. There may still be rules and conditions. Just like landlords can have a no pets or no smoking clause in a lease, this homeowner can choose to limit the frequency of visitors to HER home. She didn’t even say the MIL couldn’t have guests occaisionally - she just doesn’t want people in her house every single day. I think the MIL is being very inconsiderate and I she feels comfortable doing so because she has the support of her son. If the MIL wants daily visits with her other grandchildren, then she is free to go visit them at THEIR homes sometimes.

10 Likes

Punt her ass along with the other strays

I would tell the people to leave. Just because she pays rent doesn’t give her the right to just do whatever she wants. Just tell her either she clears people coming into your home with you or your going to start telling people to leave simple as that.

2 Likes

Even though it’s annoying/wrong whichever way you want to put it. She’s paying you rent so she can technically have whomever she wants over :woman_shrugging:t2: and you can’t exactly evict her until it’s allowed again or you can end up in legal trouble. All of you need to sit down like adults and talk about a compromise without arguing or y’all will just keep on fighting.

2 Likes

Kick her out.and him also

2 Likes

At this point my “ two can play that game” button would be deployed. If she can invite people in, so can you. Post Covid- I’d be picking my loudest friends, or hosting local community groups perhaps.

3 Likes

Family counseling so u can see its a symptom of their disrespect of u, and that u should get a lawyer

I’m confused… You said your husband feels the same way and has talked to her, but then you say your husband takes her side all the time?. Which is it?. Then you said she treated to move… So let her move then. If she pays rent and bills she should be allowed to have over who she wants when she wants. So if she wants to leave let her leave it’s simple, I think there is more to this than what’s being said.

10 Likes

Kick her the fuck out

No offense but if the husband takes her side then it sounds like he wants his siblings and nieces/nephews there too. You said you and him don’t want them there but if he’s agreeing with her then he wants them there and you’re the only one that doesn’t. He owns the house too so you and him need to come to an agreement on when to have them over then discuss it with the MIL.

This is her home…to bad you don’t have seperate space for visiting…
If she wants someone over its her right as she rents…
I can understand never having time in your own space . maybe set up date…for instance say Monday,… Wednesday nobody over etc…this is something you two have to discuss…sounds like you are berating her for having company in her home…

1 Like

Literally tell him you want couple counseling because maybe someone outside the marriage can point out how much of an inconsiderate asshole he is to you. Someday his mom won’t be here but you both will be. Does he want to be with you or not because eventually you’ll be done with being second to his mom. It’s damaging your relationship every time he side with his mom

Kick her ass out. And if he doesn’t side with you, he can go with her.

Start Eviction process now or start divorce proceedings. Do NOT put up with the disrespect in your own home.

7 Likes

Why don’t you want your nieces or nephews to come over?

I get wanting time alone, but the minute you accepted rent you screwed up. You can’t accept rental money, and dictate who she invites over. I feel for you, it’s not easy to live with someone who is very social on a daily basis if you aren’t but unless she were to move out it’s not going to stop and you have no recourse… unless you go naked which someone else suggested and I guarantee that will be affective lol

2 Likes

Three choices:

1. Move out
  2. Evict her
  3. Write her a formal month to month rental contract with all restrictions and allowances listed, including quiet hours, specific spaces rented, etc. This can include her using shared spaces but her guests being limited to only privately rented spaces such as her bedroom and bathroom.
    I’ve rented and been legally bound to limit the length of my guest’s stays, the number of vehicles I could have in the drive, and the hours in which I could be audible to my neighbors. You can write anything you want into a rental agreement. If she doesn’t like it, she doesn’t have to rent from you. There’s this saying that goes”this isn’t working out”.
4 Likes

Just leave let hubby have mum

If you are the owners and shes living with you tell her its your way or the highway, and you can find a new border easy as if she doeant like. It

Tell her to move out :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Mama has to go. Only one queen in your castle. And hubby would be getting an earful, because I doubt if your father would be able to pull this stunt and still be welcomed.

3 Likes

Honestly if you own the home !
Tell her that if moving out will make you both happy maybe that’s what’s best …and see what happens :slight_smile:
You deserve happiness!
Sounds like she is using her paying rent as a weapon

1 Like

Ultimatum time. Her or me. Ive done it and meant it.

If she pays rent there is not much you can do other than find a healthy compromise. I would be speaking with your husband on why he can’t see your side of it. Set certain days or times when she can have people over. That or tell her she needs to find another place live, if your husband doesn’t like it then they can go live together else where. Living with family usually doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

The movie Home Alone has some great tips to keep her out of your home.

2 Likes

She gotta go and if hubby thinks otherwise, then u gotta evaluate the situation and see if its really worth staying either
But I think issue should be resolved once the old crow is out :footprints::footprints::footprints:

1 Like

Tell her it’s lockdown and Boone should be coming over

Walk around your house naked.

6 Likes

She should move out I find your behaviour with family and family Extensions, this is really Sad and the control isn’t it her home too? she’s a Grandma seeing family. Your priorities are wrong.

2 Likes

That’s easy. Tell him she goes or you go.

17 Likes

If she pays rent/mortgage/bills you can’t be telling her who and when people are allowed over. Your landlord wouldn’t say who you could have over or when.

16 Likes

I’m sorry but this would be a deal breaker for me. She needs to show respect because she’s living in your house. If you were in her house I’m sure she would expect you to live by her rules.

20 Likes

Tell her she has 30 days to leave. Next time she threatens to leave TELL HER TO GOOOO. If ur husband has a problem tell him to go with his mommy🤷🏻‍♀️

28 Likes

When she threatens to move out, say “good, be gone” :woman_shrugging:t3:
But also, she pays rent, unfortunately you can’t stop her from having people over when she pays her part. That’d be like a landlord telling you “nope, no visitors every day”

8 Likes

Next time she says she’s moving out say ok bye.

3 Likes

Well this hard because she does pays rent but having people come over daily is rude !

2 Likes

I was on your side …UNTIL …the part about she pays you rent… Your MIL IS AN ADULT SHE CAN DO /SEE/INVITE OVER WHOEVER SHE LIKES. PERIOD. If you don’t like it to bad. You don’t get to dictate her life. If you don’t like it then you shouldn’t have her live with you end of story.

8 Likes

Build her a living room of her own.

1 Like

Tell her to move out!!!

1 Like

Why is it a “threat” that she’ll move out? Sounds like a toxic situation with her there.

13 Likes

Id make her move put if she was making life harder. That is simple. Of he complains tell him to go with her.

4 Likes

Kick them both to the curb

1 Like

I’d kick her to the curb, that’s your home, and if he has an issue or refuses to see the problem, kick him to the curb too.

2 Likes

girl it’s literally all of your homes. if you can respect her, she should be able to respect you no problem. kinda sounds like she’s going out of the way to not get your point, hoping you’ll stop bringing it up. so definitely keep making her aware that you’re uncomfortable bc she can’t just get away with that

2 Likes

If she pays rent. She has the right to invite whoever she chooses. If I was her I’d move out. By her threatening to move out seems like you need the money she pays you for rent. If not then just let her move.

8 Likes

Let her move then. Its not her home to just invite others over wt out permission. If she can work wt you .Then she can leave an do what she wants in her own place.

2 Likes

I was on your side until I read the part that she pays rent. If she pays rent, she has every right to invite people over at her will with or without your permission.

9 Likes

If she pays rent and you share the home she should be allowed to have her grandkids and kids there idk i dont mean all the time but i think youre wrong on this one even tho shes probably hard to deal with you should be allowed too have people in her home because shes renting from you so yes it is her or should her home as well. If not help her find a place of her own.

6 Likes

Have her move out of your house

2 Likes

I would leave and have my own space can’t deal with toxic people is a waste of energy and makes me sick.

2 Likes

I was with you until you said she pays rent. That make it just as much her house as yours. If you can get your husband on board you can give her 30 days notice of needing to move. Otherwise, that’s what happens when you let someone live with you. She has just as much right to the house as you. I’m sorry you’re in this situation. I also think it’s completely wrong what she said in front of your child.

11 Likes

If she’s paying rent you really have no argument… its her house too. If you don’t like it then have her move out.

4 Likes

So she is not allowed to have a life there just because its “your” house and you say so? Hahaha wow show some respect. Have an agreement that if someone is coming over she is to tell you guys ahead of time so you can decide to stay, leave, or go to another room. It might be your house but she is not a prisoner.

19 Likes

Tell your bitch of a husband go live with his mommy somewhere else

15 Likes

start walkin around naked when people r over :joy:

16 Likes

I’d start throwing her shit out and tell her gtfo of my house

4 Likes

She’d have to go :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to handle that, I hate people!!

1 Like

i would tell her that you want her out of your house and give her a time limit when she has to be out

1 Like

If she pays rent, then she is entitled to have over anybody she wants when she wants. She pays for that privilege.

5 Likes