My Mother Wants a Relationship With My Baby Daughter But Not With Me: Advice?

Nope. Grandma needs to get over herself!

Sounds childish…remember no one is entitled to your child/children no matter if they are related. You have to be able to feel comfortable with your child being at anyone’s home. And if there is no reliable form of communication I would not recommend it.

You aren’t wrong.
Tbh I really dislike my daughter’s boyfriend (baby daddy) but I tolerate him bc I want my daughter and my grandson in my life. And I’m just not going to be childish about it.

Not a chance. If she wants to see her she can grow up and come visit or not see her at all.

Hells to the mother effing no. I’d be like “bye felicia”. Too much drama it sounds like. Not worth it in the least bit

So I’m going to say hell NO!

However, in my circumstances it’s different my mum has litterally helped me bring up my little girl( when I was pregnant I was alone and she was litterally the other parent I was really poorly physically and mentally) she helped me so much and helped my little girl! The midwife’s use to joke she was the daddy🤣 and now my little girl is nearly three now and she is the same so my mum could give me advice on who but even than she would never tell me x

Sophia Poulos imagine someone telling me they were gonna take my kids to someone LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

My man and I just talked about your post and we agreed that if it was our sister whom took OUR CHILD to someone we do not associate with anymore. She would never take our child again.

1 Like

No way! Completely in your right :heart:

trust your spirit, that is your child and I lift all of this up to Jesus, thanking our Father for his Will in your life, amen

Your child, your rules. If she wants nothing to do with you, I honestly wouldn’t leave her alone with your child. She has no say in that matter and I would not send my child with someone who has made it very clear that they will not respect me especially a child so young.

As parents, it is yours and your husbands decision who is in your children’s lives. Legally however, she can take you both to court for grand parental rights…but let her if she is that desperate and wants to spend the money

1 Like

Nope. If she can’t respect you enough to communicate with you, then no. If she were to have baby and something God forbid, were to happen… and she won’t talk to you… that is not a person or situation I’d put my child in. Hell to the no. She doesn’t get to dictate your life or your child’s. If she cared that much about seeing and having a relationship with your daughter, she’d make it a point to start with you. No flippin effing way. Shame on your sister for letting her use and manipulate her into even asking for her. If she doesn’t wanna be an adult and talk to you, the answer is ALWAYS no.

2 Likes

You’re right, don’t do that, that’s crazy

Absolutely not … your mother needs to have a relationship with all of you or none of you . Your child , your decision !!

3 Likes

No!! Not an option.
You’re the parent not your mother.
Your child your rules.
If anything happens to your child? Its on you not your Mother.
You need to tell her no & tell your Mom to go back to Wonderland.

1 Like

You are not wrong at all. What if something were to happen? If she’s not communicating with you, how would you know? If I can’t have a relationship with someone then they can’t have one with my kids. :woman_shrugging:t3: not sorry. You do for YOUR kids. Not your mother’s feelings. Your kids safety trumps anyone’s emotions. In my opinion.

1 Like

U are sooooo wrong for wanting to keep your daughter from her grandmother… Just bc she doesnt want to have anything to do with you doesnt mean YOU as a parent should keep your child from family… Your daughter will resent you when she is older if u keep her from family…

3 Likes

Ummmm. Heck to the NO!!! DoNot send your child over there…YOU are the parent YOU decide what is best for YOUR child…she CAN NOT see your child UNLESS there is communication between you two…Really?? What if something bad happened (God forbid) YOU as the parent would be the last to know…don’t let her power trip try to convince you otherwise…she’s the one missing out and she will regret it one day.

4 Likes

Wow!! So sorry your having to deal with this instead of just enjoying one another and your precious new baby. No I absolutely would not let my child go with someone else even my sister. Your Mom is an adult and needs to put on her big girl panties and realize your daughter deserves all these wonderful people loving on her. I did not like my x new wife but I sucked it up for my daughter and made a point of inviting them to everything so that she never had to feel like she was in between. Invite your mom over. It may take a few times but eventually she will choose to be In your all’s life or she will lose out on an amazing grandchild. Be strong and be blessed

1 Like

You are right for feeling that way absolutely because in your mind you would probably think I’ll my God this mess is so chaotic but I don’t want to put my towel in the middle of this craziness. You are the mother so therefore you have every right to make whatever decisions you feel fit for your daughter. When poop people been married and divorced eventually either they remarry or they start dating so what if you want to bring her around your father’s girlfriend.and I’m sorry that your relationship with your mom is on the fritz. So don’t think that you said or even done anything wrong because you’re only watching out for the baby that’s it and family members have to realize that you are the mother you do make the decisions and whatever you decide is Switchfoot stick plain and simple but you’re not wrong

My mother was that and more. I encouraged my son to contact her via phone as he was growing up. Things were too toxic to allow him to be with my parents. He chose over the years to steer clear. He knew my mom’s fakeness and he knew she left him out of control and gifts and more. Let your kids make the decision but make sure to have safe and clear boundaries for both parties to follow.

1 Like

You are right to feel that way ! Your mother needs to grow up . If it was my mother whom I love dearly but if you don’t want to be in my life don’t be in my child’s either.

5 Likes

Nope. Your baby your choice. She needs to practice good parenting right now and get along or get out.

3 Likes

Your child, your boundaries, Grandma needs to be a damn grownup and communicate with you.

2 Likes

No I would not, I was in that situation with my ex- mother in law and she tried to take my daughter away.

You’re not wrong at all. Your mother is being selfish to not want to be in you or your husband’s life but wants to be in your child’s. I wouldn’t let your sister take her either. If she can’t be in your life then she can forget her granddaughter

3 Likes

Nope! Just nope. As you stated it’s YOUR child. If she wants no relationship with you or your husband (the child’s FATHER) she gets no relationship with your child(ren) (cuz maybe you’ll have more in the future). If she won’t communicate with you, how do you know where your child will be or if she’s following your schedule/rules about where, what, when, why, and how to take care of your child. Not worth the worry or hassle or drama.

2 Likes

You are correct! As both a parent and grandmother I would never allow anyone to be in my child’s life without me even my own mother…maybe when they are older like a teenager and can understand the why of everything otherwise I would have no doubts as to your child being lied to and believing the grandmother over you -this actually happened to my sister and her son with my mother

Nope. You’re baby, and if she cant respect YOUR CHOICES she doesnt need to be involved. Shes only ruining it for herself.

Nope. I wouldn’t let someone take my child to a family member with out ( Hell no) first of all the baby is way to young to be away from it’s mom for that long ( what if u was breastfeeding)

Grandparents are allowed some rights but this is a child a bit over 3 months. Your mother needs to GROW up and be an adult with a realistic idea of what family relationships are.

1 Like

Your momma! You make the decision, but by not wanting a relationship with you because she can’t dictate who sees baby, I don’t think it would be a healthy relationship if she were to see baby.

1 Like

She has raised hers now this little blessing is yours to raise. How us she going to feel when this baby grows up, finds out what grabma put her mommie thru.

Your definitely not wrong if she wants a relationship with your child she needs to have one with you it doesn’t work her way so if she wants to be in child’s life she needs to grow up and come to you

If you don’t want a relationship with me sorry you don’t want one with my child either!! Your child is a part of you!! And people are crazy family or not. I would be too scared she would try to hurt my child to get back at me!! So the answer is no you are not wrong!!!

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. I can’t help but to feel sorry for you😭 what mother wants something to do with her grandchild but not the child who had the grandchild? That’s just horrible. That’s not a mother let alone someone who deserves to be a grandparent.

Girl that baby is yours. Your mom needs to get over her self and if she doesnt want you or your husband around then she doesn’t want the baby around. Stand your ground

Your not wrong for not feeling comfortable that’s your daughter u say what goes

Naw you aint wrong
How are you to trust that you would know if something went wrong???
Nope nope nope

No your not wrong. Stand your ground.

She needs to grow up and fix things with you first

You are right. I feel if they want nothing to do with you, eventually your child will wonder why, and then there is a possibility of lies being told.

1 Like

If she wants to be in your daughter’s life she can deal with your rules

A little one that young with all that’s going on right now? Stand your ground. If anyone questions it say your not comfortable with the baby leaving your covid bubble.

I feel like she should grow the hell up and stop throwing a temper tantrum like a toddler , put on her big girl panties and apologize to you, if she wants to be around her grand daughter :woman_shrugging:t2:

You are right if you couldn’t be around me an my husband you will not be around my children

Keep the baby away from the mother

Duck that bit…some kinda mom she was…nope nope nope,eat fish

Bottom line, she’s gonna have to communicate with you to have possession of your new born baby. I would not block the interaction between grandmother and grandchild. You never know when you’ll need your mom. Sounds like she wants to be in control but she also sounds hurt by being left out. Send an email, text or smoke signal and fix the rift between you and your mom. Babies are good at bringing families together. You take the baby over to your mom’s and have a heart to heart but not about your father’s girlfriend but about the bond between the two of you. You will need to set boundaries as far as her control issues are concerned but i wouldn’t keep the baby away unless you believe she would cause harm.

4 Likes

Nope. My mother in law got upset because we let my father in law and his wife come visit us. I told her that my son is our child and not hers and that honestly, what she thinks, doesn’t matter. I was raised around extremely toxic people and my son will not grow up like that. So I told her that either she chooses to move on, and not be toxic anymore, or she won’t be involved. She got it together and is doing a lot better. But bottom line, it’s your and your husband’s child. No one else’s. If they don’t want to follow your rules, then they don’t get to be around. Being around your child is a privilege. The only ones with any rights to your kids are you and your husband. You two are the first line of defense for your kids. They rely on you to make sure that the people around them contribute to their lives with a healthy relationship.

36 Likes

Absolutely NOT! She is your daughter and you can allow or not allow whoever you want around her. If your mom doesn’t want a relationship with you then too bad for her bc then she’s choosing not to have a relationship with her granddaughter as well.

73 Likes

Absolutely not! Anyone and everyone has to have YOUR approval to have a relationship with YOUR child. The rules are yours to make. I had to do the same thing with my mom…she refused to respect me, my husband and our rules so she’s never had the privilege of being in our kid’s lives. It’s a slippery slope when if she were to teach your child (later) that your rules don’t matter and don’t have to be honored

95 Likes

You are not wrong at all. If that is how she is acting, she’s trying to manipulate you and your husband for her own gain. It sucks, but you get to decide what is best for your family. I’m in a kind of similar situation, but I know my boys are so much better off because I chose to make sure they weren’t around the toxic, manipulative environment. Good luck. I hope it works out for you❤

65 Likes

No I wouldn’t let my mom see “my” baby if she doesn’t want a relationship with me or my husband.
My mom would of never done that. Mothers love their kids regardless. My daughter passed away in 2017, my mom in 2019. Trust me neither would of put me in a situation where I had to choose.
Tell your mom when she can act like a mom and treat you like an adult she can see your child. However on your terms not hers.

147 Likes

Your mother can either cling to her jealousy over her ex and his girlfriend or she can cling to her daughter and granddaughter. Simple. If she chooses the former, she’s not mature enough to be the mother or grandmother y’all need and you don’t need the drama.

138 Likes

Nope. Sorry but you are your childs mom and she needs to respect that. If she cant respect you , I would worry what she will do or say when she has your child. I can almost guarantee she would have never allowed that if put in the same situation when you were young. Sad that some people can not put hatred and resentment aside so they can all enjoy watching a new child grow and be loved.

64 Likes

Nope! She’s your daughter, you have every right to decide who is around her. If your mom can’t communicate with you then she has no right to see your daughter. My parents were just divorced when my daughter was born and I told both of them they had to get along at family gatherings because I didn’t want to start the going from house to house on holidays because one couldn’t get along with the other. We did that when I was young and it was ridiculous. When you’re that young you don’t understand that grandma and grandpa are divorced and can’t be in the same room cause one can’t stand the other. Put your foot down now so things don’t get out of hand.

23 Likes

Sounds like mom must be jealous of the girlfriend, so everyone has to suffer its called manipulation. A real grandma would not care and want to share and be around you all, she needs to grow up

52 Likes

I wouldn’t let anyone take my kid at that point. If she your sister cannot respect you and YOUR family, then cut her out as well. Your mom needs to grow up and get over herself.

40 Likes

Just a thought. Have you reached out to your mom? Relationships change when you become the mom and she becomes grandma. I am learning this. Maybe just say “so and so told me you wanted a relationship with the baby and I would love her to have a relationship with you. You are welcome here to visit whenever or we can come see you just let me know when is good. However until baby is comfortable with you and I am comfortable with her being away we will all have to visit together.”. Not sure how you feel about it all but those are just my thoughts. I would not let my child just be dropped off w someone they don’t really know though.

64 Likes

No way. If she is trying to dictate who YOU ALLOW in her life then nothing will stop her from trying to poison your daughter against that person. If that person is a decent person and she simply doesn’t like her because your father is with her, to bad for her. I wouldn’t allow it. It’s immature and she seems unreasonable.

33 Likes

You are not wrong. Agree needs to stop being so selfish & get over that your dad has a gf. That is just childish. If she can’t be mature enough to be a real woman & do anything necessary to be involved in her grandchild’s life then she looses that privilege! I’m a grandma of 2 beautiful grandgirl’s & I would do anything to be able to have a relationship with them which I do. They run to me screaming “Nana” every other weekend when I drive 200 miles each way to see them. It’s the joy of my life! She needs to grow up!

5 Likes

Nope I wouldn’t be doing any of that, if you don’t want a relationship with me your aren’t having one with my child. Sounds like your mom is throwing a temper tantrum she can’t dictate who you do and don’t have your child around. I say you stick to your guns

33 Likes

There are some excellent comments following. Your mom sounds like she has some mental and emotional issues. I think your 15 week old child is too young to go anywhere without you there to set boundaries about what is appropriate around her. Your mom doesn’t sound appropriate at all. YOU are the Mom to this child, what you and your husband say is what matters. Boundaries are so important when you’re around toxic people like your mom appears to be. Best wishes.

17 Likes

If she really loved her she would reconsider changing and let go of hate in her heart. Pray for her :pray: :heart: put your boundaries make her choose family or her selfish ways.

20 Likes

It sounds like your mom isn’t over her relationship with your dad. The fact that he has moved on and everyone has accepted it but your mom and she is taking it out on you! So I wouldn’t leave my child until she can have a relationship with me! She just sounds bitter and she needs to let things go! Good luck!

11 Likes

You are right. If she wants a reationship she needs to communicate with you. You dont have to be buddies but she needs to go thru you not your sister. You need to communicate about the childs care etc. If she is not wiiling to do that l would be uncomfotable with her having my daughter alone.

4 Likes

If she doesn’t respect your right to pick who is around your child she won’t respect your wishes with other things with your child and will do what she deems right… and if there is no communication then you won’t know until it’s too late… I’d say you don’t want me you don’t get my child.

24 Likes

If she wants to see her, she can visit. As long as everyone stays civil in front of the child, no issues. Her choice. She’s being manipulative

15 Likes

Why is this even a question? She doesn’t want a relationship with you her daughter she’s doesn’t get one with her granddaughter. It’s that simple.

39 Likes

I would never have let someone take my child to someone I didn’t trust. And by not speaking to you or your husband, and trying to go around you, she is trying to have her way. I would not allow that to happen. She is not thinking clearly, and I would not trust her.

3 Likes

definitely not! if she wants to be in that little girl’s life she needs to grow up and and come to see you and your husband also, If she cannot do this and love and respect you guys then she will have to die a sad and lonely women and it will not be anyones fault but her own! I have 3 grandchildren and 9 greats and I would not give up my right to see any of them especially because I am a foolish old woman!

1 Like

You aren’t wrong at all. YOU are the mother and YOU raise your child how you see fit. You’re allowed to dictate who you do or don’t want in your child’s life. That’s not for grandparents to decide. Until your daughter is 18, it’s either a relationship with both of you or neither.

11 Likes

You are correct in saying my child and my rules. I am so blessed to have my grandchildren around me. I can imagine not being near my grandchildren. It is your mothers lost. She is still trying to run the show. If she really wanted a relationship. She would come to you

7 Likes

No way! I wasn’t even ready to leave my little ones with a baby sitter when they were that young when it wasn’t entirely necessary. She sounds toxic. She can come to you or not see your baby.

10 Likes

She sounds toxic. Nope, don’t introduce that into your life. She will only use the opportunity to cause chaos and potentially poison your daughter against you.

11 Likes

Seems she made her choice. She sounds controlling! I never expected my ex to keep his new wife away from his own children!! I’m sorry your mother needs to grow up and realize she raised her kids she doesn’t have the right to raise yours!!!

7 Likes

No ma’am. She sounds immature and toxic. You don’t need it and neither does the baby. Your baby, your rules. Period.

11 Likes

No way! Grandma takes your family as a whole package or not at all. THAT SAID, your dad’s girlfriend doesn’t need to be around at the same time your mom is…that would be understandably painful and awkward for all.

6 Likes

No you are not wrong! She is making you choose her because she has still not let go over her anger of her husband moving on.
She should not ask this of you. If she has problems with your Dads new relationship. She should just make arrangements to visit YOU and your Husband and her grandchild and keep a relationship going that way. In no way should she be putting your sister in the middle. That’s just wrong. If she can’t do this than she has more
Problems than I would now how to fix. Good luck

4 Likes

Uhh usually I am all for grandparents being in a child’s life but no way… she doesn’t have to be your best friend but she needs to at least be civil in order to be around your child.

5 Likes

Your child. Your mom has to communicate with you to have a relationship. Other family members should respect and support you and encourage your mom to reach out to you to see grandchild and not be a go between enabling the mom’s bad behavior.

4 Likes

Um… NO? Why would you even consider sending your 3 month old with a 3rd party to visit someone who isn’t speaking to you, and who is showing signs of being controlling/manipulative with that child? Your mother is insane if she thinks it works this way.

7 Likes

No. The grandchild comes with baggage. If she truly wants a relationship with your child, then she needs find a way to make a relationship with you work. Without that, the child will pick up on that, and eventually resent one of you. You either love us both, or tell us both to get lost.

3 Likes

It’s none of her business who you let see your child. You are the Mom! I wouldn’t let anyone take my child to see her. If you’re not good enough, then her loss!

3 Likes

Listen to your inner voice, the one that’s already telling you that this is not a good idea!! If she wants to see your daughter, then she sees you right along with her.

4 Likes

You are correct that your daughter is your child and you (and the baby’s father if he is in the picture) have the ultimate say of whom is allowed in your daughter’s life. I find it very hard to believe that your mother really wants a relationship with your daughter. Relationships take more work than just saying “I want a relationship”, they take work.

3 Likes

Actions speak louder than words. She can say all she wants…it’s what she does that’s important.

And if you can’t trust her to talk to you now what happens if there is an emergency with your child while in your mother’s care?! If you’re willing to risk that…than do as you want. If not, then make her come to you where you can supervise and if she can’t put on her big girl panties and do that you have the actions you need to get your answer.

2 Likes

No I agree with you nobody spends time with my son unless they spend time with me my partner wants my son to go be baby sat he has only seen him twice since he was born he is 4 months old I said no it’s like sending my son with a stranger not happening my partner friends didnt want anything to do with me before now we have a child together they have no choice and we are going to get married

2 Likes

I would not let someone else drop the baby off to your mom however with that being said life is short. Try to make peace with your mom so you can all have a relationship. I would love to see my mom again. She died 10 years ago.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine, as a grandmother, EVER doing something like this! Sounds like narcissistic behavior to me.

3 Likes

Yep I wdnt want that to happen unless the mother was prepared to have relationship with you and hubby…otherwise its not going to be fair on the child in the long run…she needs to be prepared for restoration of your relationship with her…otherwise it wdnt work…my opinion anyway…love can be unconditional but relationships are conditional…has to work for both sides.

1 Like

Certainly not as an infant. Your mother needs to see that her unreasonable dictates will not be entertained. If your father’s girlfriend was somehow inappropriate, an addict or she acted in some other kind of unsafe manner that would be different. She would have a valid concern. Jealousy and hatred have no place in your child’s life. She needs to understand that her choices have consequences. In this case, the relationships with her family.

1 Like

I have not read the other responses … my advise is to tell your sister that your mother needs to be able to communicate with you and be civil to your hubby in order to see child. The child will have one baptism, one confirmation, one birthday, one prom, one graduation, one wedding. Gma needs to be civil to others important in your daughter’s life. Just my 2 cents. All the best to you.

1 Like

Absolutely not especially with your child being that young! If she wants a relationship with grand baby she needs to step up and have a relationship with you and understand your boundaries if she doesn’t respect your boundaries as a mom who’s to say what she will do/say/teach your child as they get older.

No you are not wrong. Someone in the family maybe your mom’s sister or brother needs to have a sit down with her or even a child psychologist to let her know what she is doing is not good for your daughter. If you let her see her this way believe me that she will notice when she gets a little older and wondering why grandma doesn’t ever come to our home. Children notices things early, it may not look like they know but they do. Also listening when you think they are just playing but they hear everything.

No!!! Don’t let her see her! You’re a package deal! It’s YOUR child, not hers!! Plus, I’d be worried about what she’s saying about you/teaching your daughter as she gets old enough to understand. I couldn’t be able to trust her…

1 Like

Hell no! At the very least she needs to communicate with you…if she can’t do that, how do You as the parent control what she is saying or doing with your child???

1 Like

For one I am so sorry that you are even going through this.
Secondly if she does not want a relationship or communication with you or your husband than she doesnt need a relationship with the baby. She has to communicate with you guys in some pretty important things like eating, allergies or medical conditions if those apply. I would not be comfortable in any way what so ever. Your the mama who is around your baby is your choice. It sounds like your mom is still attached to your dad emotionally if his girlfriend is the trigger behind this.