My neighbors child keeps stealing my kids toys...what do I do?

I don’t know of this is allowed or not but I have a problem with my neighbors kid coming into my yard and taking my kids toys she has brought them back and apologized but today ber child decided to try to get on my porch to take some toys but luckily my mom stopped him. I don’t know what else to do I’ve told.the little boy to not come back he doesn’t listen

225 Likes

I would either get a toy chest that has a lock, continuously involve the parents, keep toys inside, etc. I know it’s unfair to you and your child, you shouldn’t have to take these measures to ensure your property isn’t taken, I’m not sure how far you’re willing to take it. I think getting police or CPS involved is too far but you could google what options you have. I did a quick search on google and had a few suggested sites. Here is one of them: Discover How To Deal With Annoying Neighbor’s Kids

Good luck.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My neighbors child keeps stealing my kids toys...what do I do? - Mamas Uncut

Talk to the other kids parents. The child may not understand why he can’t have the toys. His parents should explain it to him.

6 Likes

How old is he is the question?

2 Likes

Motion activated sprinklers lol

8 Likes

Go talk to his parents and tell them what he’s doing and tell them he’s not allowed at your house anymore and ask them to enforce the situation. If not, tell them you will be calling the police for trespassing :woman_shrugging:t3: you don’t actually have to, but if you threaten it, it might work

4 Likes

Talk to the mother again say if this continues I’m gonna have to get the police involved. If that don’t work follow through with the threat

5 Likes

But seriously go tell the parents, hopefully that’ll work

4 Likes

Have you caught him? Sometimes it takes someone else to explain it.

Tell ur kid to bring back his toys from that kid…

4 Likes

Dont leave toys outside. Teach YOUR KIDS to clean up daily.

14 Likes

Have a talk with his mother. If that doesn’t work then just keep the toys inside.

Take a few bucks and BUY THEM SOME TOYS…u will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

9 Likes

Air horn. Or something spooky on your property. Can also use motion sensor lights to make him think someone is seeing him

He may have learning disability and not understand talk with parents first

2 Likes

How old is this boy?! Maybe some
Compassion? Maybe he doesn’t have much?
I get how it can be frustrating but if it’s such a concern have your child bring in their toys and put away. If it’s such a big deal , maybe do a nice gesture and get the boy a bucket pail from dollar tree with some toys and activities.

9 Likes

Make up your mind …….He or She

1 Like

Have Community Service Office talk to kid about
“stealing”
Some reason this kid needs toys this bad !!??

Maybe his mom can’t get him any maybe you should buy him some and put them out there and let him know maybe he’ll stop taking your kids stuff just a thought…

3 Likes

I tell my kids to clean up their toys in front of the house or they will get taken. Threatening police and making it more dramatic than it is, sends the wrong message. If the boys continues to come on to your lawn and porch walk down and talk with the parents!

Talk to the parents then involve police

6 Likes

Y’all are so nasty!!! How are you going to say a water hose or water ever. He’s a kid!!! If it’s such a issue, put the toys inside!!

10 Likes

Call children’s services.

5 Likes

Does he have toys at home? Does he have a good home life?

Can you purchase him some toys from the dollar store to give to him?

2 Likes

Maybe the boys mom can’t afford to buy him a lot of toys. Spend a little money and buy him some toys of his own.

3 Likes

Don’t leave toys outside? Duh

6 Likes

Is there something more behind him taking the toys? Does he lack them? Is he special needs? Talk to him mom and see if you can find a way to figure out “why”. That doesn’t make it ok but it might help him stop.

3 Likes

Sounds like one of my neighbors. I ended up finding out the child had ADHD and can’t control his impulses. Maybe this is the case as well? Not saying it’s ok but sometimes there is other reasons why this behavior keeps occurring with no change.

2 Likes

Talk to his parents, don’t leave toys laying around

3 Likes

At least she brought them back and apologized.

5 Likes

Stop leaving Toya outside. put them all back inside in the house after your child is done playing with them. We leave nothing outside. but again we have a fenced in yard.

6 Likes

Just let them enjoy the toys because your heart says more than being cheap…its just toys and life will never be replaced…do the right thing

3 Likes

There must be a reason he keeps taking them. Either they don’t have any toys themselves or they have a disability would be my guess. I personally would make sure to not leave the toys your kids really like outside but maybe go over to the house and have a talk with the parents to get a feel for what is going on. How old is the child?

5 Likes

Talk to your local police department tell them what’s going on then when the kid come over to steal see if one of the police officers aren’t busy and try to scare the boy like that

5 Likes

You don’t know his home situation… maybe he doesn’t have enough at home. I’d give him some, but if it bothers you that much and he won’t stop, move the toys? So he can’t access them. Problem solved.

5 Likes

Ok unpopular opinion here !! First let me state I would never never allow my child to do that even if this was the case! Question is how old is the child ? Is he doing so because he has nothing to play with ? Does he always bring it back ? Those are some things to ask because imagine being a child with nothing to play with and being so young he sees a toy and wants to play with it, as long as he brings it back I see no issue and would most likely buy him a small toy and gift it to him. If the child is just stealing to be stealing definitely speak with his parents. Don’t do what other people say spraying the child with water hose etc that’s just not the way to handle it, you never know what’s going on in there life and why they do these things. Try compassion first 

6 Likes

How old are they? Maybe he doesn’t have much and that’s why he is taking them? (Not that that justifies it)… There is probably a reason behind the behaviors. Does his family pay attention or maybe possibly neglect him? Talk to the parents and observe

1 Like

I guess no one has ever saw a kid with a water hose before. They kinda love them. :joy: def not a deterrent.

1 Like

Talk to the parents of the child. If it still persists, call the police

3 Likes

Weird! U don’t have to share if u don’t want to! And that’s ok! I’d put a lock on ur porch door or any valuable toys move inside! Maybe you can put a picture of a stop sign on ur porch- maybe the child needs a visual reminder. U can speak to the parents but it may not get anywhere! This stinks good luck

2 Likes

Stop leaving them outside :unamused: :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Ive had this problem at 2 different places now. Once at our apartment, a boy stole my kids bike, went to the boys house, and the parents DID NOT CARE ONE BIT. Didn’t apologize or even get off their ass to go to THEIR backyard to get it, just told me “o yea its back there” and i had to get it. Second time, i called the cops and it didnt happen again. Now we live in a home in a nice neighborhood, and the neighbors 2 younger children took 2 of my sons basketballs out of the carport from the other side of my car. Saw them playing with them, and when they saw me, they hid. So i walked over and nicely asked if they had his basketballs. They shook their heads no and ran in for the mom. Again, i get no apology from the parent, just a “here u go”. Moral of the story is, most likely the kids r stealing because their parents havent taught them any different and genuinely dont care. Call the cops.

1 Like

When you catch said child, sit them down and explain to him/ her what they’re doing is stealing. Then tell them if they continue said stealing they’re not allowed at your house. Then, you take said child back to their own house and make a big show of walking them to their front door, ring their doorbell, and make them explain to their parent what they were doing. Then you tell said parent your concern and that you don’t want said child in your yard, muchless stealing toys.

8 Likes

I am curious as to how old the child is.

4 Likes

Maybe buy him some of his own toys for him to play with, I know it’s not your responsibility but it might just help with leaving behind your son toys…

2 Likes

Keep good toys in they house let old or broke toys for outside play anything that wont be missed some kids dont have blessings like others an just wants to play too

6 Likes

Consider that maybe this child has a mental or physical disorder. Can’t help himself or the parents don’t care what he does. Work around that and I suggest you bring in the toys. Maybe you can compromise and be there with the child and teach him. Watch him play with the toys on your turf and invite him back.

4 Likes

I guess I’m not a person who worries so much about toys I let my neighborhood play with my kids stuff even if we aren’t there if my son doesn’t want a certain thing outside we bring it in. But the kids on my block bring everything back when done I have never had anything missing and usually the stuff we keep outside is just cheap things anyways so I’ll just replace it. If the mom brings them back and apologes then she knows the issue and is probably trying to stop him

5 Likes

I’m told fences make good neighbors.

Do you have a fence? Lock the fence. If not store toys somewhere safe. Go talk to the parents of him. If that doesn’t work Honestly if it happened more than 4 times for me id then contact law enforcement. No reason a child should not get in trouble for stealing so many times. My cousin was like this from the day he turned 6 to everyone and never go in trouble until he got to 14 and he started robbing houses!:sob: So personally i cant let that stuff slide after so many times.

6 Likes

Electric fence(joking)

4 Likes

I live in apartment complex and it’s happened to me before cops won’t do anything because it’s a minor but what they did suggest,. Was for me to put my son’s names on his items where they can’t be seen under the back fender of his bicycle on the bottom of his scooter places like that where nobody can see them then when the toy gets stolen you can report it and you can claim that it’s your child’s toy because his name’s on it.

1 Like

Get a camera. Film it. Take the parents to court. They’re legally responsible for Sticky Fingers and his theft.

7 Likes

Speak with the parents. Maybe the boy has a learning disability and doesn’t completely comprehend that what he is doing is wrong.

2 Likes

I’d be telling the mother right fast to watch her child.

1 Like

Maybe buy him/her some toys…give them to the child and say please don’t take toys from our yard …I will buy u a toy every once in a while for yourself if u stop doing this

2 Likes

Honestly are they outside toys ? Teach your kids to play nice together he’s just a child it’s not that big a deal…. No reason for cops to be called he isn’t vandalizing your stuff is he ?, just have a talk with the parents maybe his can’t afford toys like that…… another idea is get a few cheap toys from the dollar store and let him know these are ones he can play with rather than the other ones!!! Some of these comments are dramatic and disheartening I really hope I never have neighbors like that being a good person to a child or to anyone takes $0

5 Likes

Talk with the parents

This seems more sad to me. He clearly knows this is wrong because he brought them back and apologized. He’s not doing it maliciously. My guess is his parents can’t afford to buy him toys and he’s most likely very lonely and bored. Nothing to play with. This is a child. Not an adult that needs to be taught a lesson. My advice? Buy him a couple of his favorite toys that he took from your child. You already know what he likes. Sit him down, have a talk with him. Let him know you need him to stop stealing your child’s toys. Tell him you got him a couple of things you knew he’d like. But he has to promise he’ll never do it again, or you’re going to have to talk to his parents.

6 Likes

Just keep putting them up at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Am I seriously seeing grown people telling this woman to call the police on a child? Are yall insane it’s fucking toys if your so worried about a literal child “stealing” your kids toys don’t have your kids toys out where he can take them. But honestly you sound like a jack ass ,they’re just toys which are easily replaceable get over it

Don’t tell the kid , go directly and talk to the parent’s. Be civil & talk to the parent’s.

3 Likes

Good grief! The child just wants to play. I’m sure he doesn’t think he’s “stealing toys”

3 Likes

Keep toys in backyard and put a padlock on your gate

1 Like

Some of these responses are so sad! Poor lil nugget. Sounds like maybe this little boy doesn’t have toys at home……
Aren’t we supposed to be setting an example for our children of kindness, empathy and sharing??- especially for the less fortunate??!

First of all I would invite this child over for a play date with my children so he has the opportunity to play with the toys he’s obviously interested in, with the re-direction of “you can play with them while you’re here OR if you would like to borrow a toy for home you need to ask first.”

Build a relationship with this child, get to know them! Then figure out which toy seems to be his favorite and have your children gift him one of those toys for his Birthday.

I don’t understand why we would call the police on a CHILD for taking a toy :roll_eyes: Comeon people do better!
Be a positive influence in this world!!

15 Likes

Have your kid bring their toys in

Man I have a community porch because not every parent has the ability to buy their kids outside toys. They’re coming back right? They aren’t keeping them or breaking them right? Then why not be the cool mom who actually shares and plays with other kids. If you don’t want to be that mom then bring the toys inside or get a locking toy box and have your child clean up every day. Talk to the child instead of yelling at them and telling them to stay away, you have no idea what goes on inside his home unless you do. For all you know his parents could be addicts or abusive and he might not have anything of his own. Idk after growing up in an extremely abusive house I’m thankful for the neighbors I was blessed to grow up around. I actually had a chance to have real meals at their house

7 Likes

We had the same issue our back yard is open concept after my kids would play I would pick them up a d put them in one place come back out and there Tonka trucks would be gone I would have to hide there toys cause ethe kids would just take them never got them back

1 Like

Stop leaving toys outside…

6 Likes

Bring the toys that you don’t want taken inside and just leave out a few outside toys. But if something happens to that child while on your yard or porch or with toys you’ve given him that’s on you. So regardless it’s a problem :joy:

Get a lock for the porch door would be the first thing. What’s to stop him from going into the house next time? And talk to the parents. Not necessarily about the outside toys but about him coming into the porch area, especially if it might happen when no one is home. Then what happens if he falls down the steps on your property or some such thing. Can never be too careful these days. I always lock my front door, even when I’m home.

3 Likes

Put the name of your kids on his toys , the next time he steal something call the cops and have them talk to him ( his parents should do something about it, more than returning them and apologize, this kids of stuff only gets worse ) set cameras also ,if he continues take them to court

1 Like

He is a kid. Maybe you can share. Kids will be kids. Is he a mean kid? Does he hurt your kids? Is he an only child? We teach our kids to share. Why can’t adult.

1 Like

I can’t help but wonder if he has any toys to play with? Or maybe his toys don’t seem as fun as your child’s? Maybe invite him for a playdate and that way he’ll understand he can play with them while at your house but not take them? As a child I didn’t have a lot of toys and always felt jealous of my friends stuff, I remember wanting to take things from others because I just wanted to play with them. It was wrong but I was just a child who didn’t have much.

5 Likes

Get a big dog !!!

1 Like

lol yeah put them away haha

1 Like

My first line of defense would be to say something to the child. The apology means nothing if they keep doing it. Esp if the kids isn’t listening. Need to set some boundaries.

Then I’d definitely talk to the parent.
I’d also make sure I clean up the toys.

1 Like

set up a camera and call the law get him for trespassing

1 Like

You go have a calm conversation with the parents and if they don’t stop it you can take legal action but I would only do that as a last resort . Good luck

1 Like

How old is the child?

At the end of the day the only thing you can really do to ensure this doesn’t happen is to put them away (inside/garage/shed) when your child isn’t using them cause even his own mother can’t stop him

4 Likes

The kid must not have toys to play with

3 Likes

I would talk to the parents and tell them what is going on

2 Likes

Leave one toy in the yard cover in saracha and jalapeño juice bet it stops

9 Likes

Put the toys away and honestly have a camera. when it happens take the video proof to parents and say that if their son doesn’t stop you will turn it into the police. Hopefully it’ll scare them enough to teach them/him to stop.

4 Likes

If you really want to, scare the kid. Get it on recording then have the police come out and retrieve the stolen item and have a talk with him. I know a lot of ppl are gonna come at me for this but it does work sometimes

9 Likes

I’d tell parents you got a camera if her son is caught back on your property you will call law enforcement.

3 Likes

Hmmm… You sound like a petty Betty … please be better. Not every kid has toys to play with

9 Likes

How old is child, maybe not old enough to know it’s wrong, if any little kid sees a toy their going to play with it, should address parents, not child, maybe can find some older toys, leave them on porch and explain to child that he can play with them but have to stay on your porch

Kleptomania (klep-toe-MAY-nee-uh) is the recurrent inability to resist urges to steal items that you generally don’t really need and that usually have little value. Kleptomania is a rare but serious mental health disorder that can cause much emotional pain to you and your loved ones if not treated.

2 Likes

good fences make for better neighbors - build one with a solid gate that can be locked - also put the toys in a garage or bring them in the house when not in use.

some of these suggestions are wild lmao just simply over toys. like really? :joy::joy: either put the toys away or maturely talk to the parent about it.

6 Likes

Toy box you can lock, only solution

2 Likes

I’d tell the kid next time I seen her/him that if they play nicely with the toys, that they can play with toys and return them when they are done with it and that there’s no need to steal the toys. Stealing isn’t nice and all you have to do is ask to borrow. Orrrr put all the toys up when your children are done playing with them.

4 Likes

My son is having problems with the neighbor preschool child coming over to get on their trampoline. I guess. Now an adult comes over and jumps with the child WITHOUT permission.
I also recommend putting your child’s toys away.

5 Likes

Clearly if a child is going into someone else’s back yard it’s called lack of proper supervision and Cps doesn’t take kindly to that. And let the parents know if it happens again that you’re going to call cps on them if they can’t get their child under control.

3 Likes

Talk to parents if it continues file a police report and put up and electric fence

3 Likes

Maybe they don’t have any toys no need to blow fb up about it just be kind and teach your kids sharing is caring and teach yourself that while you’re at it!

3 Likes

Let the mom know there’s still an issue. If it continues call your local police and see if they will come talk to the child.

Scare tactic get video of photo proof and call the cops and just threaten charges. Apparently the kids parents don’t care to assist remedying the situation