My spouse has not touched a tooth brush in 5 years

I literally broke up with a guy for this reason. It was disgusting and I couldn’t even look at him anymore.

Thank you for posting. I have a similar experience and thought about posting myself.

You shouldn’t have to tell a grown man to take care of his hygiene. But hinting isn’t going to help. You guys are adults so sit him down and talk like adults. Be honest about how you feel. Regardless of how you may think that will make him feel. And ask him why he’s not caring for himself the way he should be. Let him know that it’s affecting you and your relationship now. And that things need to change it he wants things to work out. There may be something going on with him mentally.

9 Likes

Why you waited 5 years??

3 Likes

Sounds like it may be depression related. Self care for someone who’s depressed is super challenging. Does your husband suffer from depression at all?

4 Likes

Sounds like depression he needs help and if he isn’t depressed and just being a pig leave him yuck

This is just disgusting. I would like to know the reason for piss poor hygiene? Does they wash their @$$?

OCD perhaps I know someone like this

Straight up tell him…

1 Like

I would leave someone that nasty. I hope your not touching him.:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

So you have hinted and hinted. Stop hinting and tell him like your just told us. He’s your spouse but why are you scared to tell him? Instead you hint around.

5 Likes

Don’t mean to laugh but this is funny!!! Looool and my partner is considered nasty if he has a bath only once per day especially if he leaves home even for a few minutes. Teeth brushing should come naturally at least twice per day. Madness. I simply couldn’t, I’d go madddddd

Have you spoken to him outright about it? I can imagine how gross that’s got to be. I find hinting with a husband very ineffective. Straight forward ‘ your hygiene is atrocious and it’s why we don’t have a physical relationship. Is a good start. Good luck.

Why hint come right out and tell him. That its not ok with you.

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you just tell him?

I’d stop hinting and just flat out tell him. Men are pretty simple and don’t always pick up on subtle hints… it might sound harsh but you probably just need to be blunt with him about it. It might hurt his feelings, but that’s a pretty serious issue when it comes to personal hygiene/health.

1 Like

I would flat out tell him to shower and brush his fucking teeth rank :nauseated_face:

I’m shocked u even lasted that long :see_no_evil:I would be out in a week

1 Like

I mean, he sounds really depressed, he should see a doctor

14 Likes

5 years later ?? Your just as nasty then if it’s taking you this long to be tired of it…

2 Likes

Sooooo………while I am not condoning poor hygiene. Do you think maybe they are depressed? I’m just saying some people get so depressed they can’t even bring themselves to get out of bed and brush their hair. Depression shows it’s ugly face sometimes in subtle or strange ways that we may not catch immediately. I would honestly sit down and talk to them. It could just be they don’t care but honestly and in my experience. One of the first signs of something being wrong is poor hygiene. I’m just saying, I think having a sit down and talking everything out may not be a bad idea. That’s how I would approach this. Especially if I know this isn’t normal for them. I know five years is quite a long time. But were they like that before? Just some things to think about. I really hope things get better and hope this helps. :heart:

5 years later and your still HINTING about it :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Game over on a dirty mouth…I broke up with my boyfriend over this…his breath smelled like a cow barn on a hot summers day.:nauseated_face:

5 Likes

No hints…just tell him he needs to do better or he sleeps elsewhere
Honestly…you shouldn’t need to be teaching an adult basic hygiene

2 Likes

Leave today he’s a loser

I know everyone is telling you to leave, but it honestly sounds like to me that he is suffering from some sort of mental health issue like depression. People don’t just ignore personal hygiene for no reason.

12 Likes

And he still has teeth? May as well yank those at this point. I’m not sure how one goes 5 years without brushing…

1 Like

Gross… and your still with him?

2 Likes

That absolutely would be a deal breaker for me. I can not handle hygiene issues.

Does he have teeth problems? Could I possibly hurt? Or?
Either way he needs to be clean about his teeth/mouth.
But could it possibly be too painful?

How has his teeth not fallen out from rotting?? That’s disgusting

My husband had this issue ( not for 5 years but for a couple months). I would tell him his mouth stank like a garbage bin full of meat on a hot day and remind him daily to brush his teeth at this time. He was working extremely long days and struggling with basic self care. So I decided that if he couldn’t help himself that I would, after some delving… it turned out to be a mix of things 1. That he was having mental health issues 2. That he was actually in a lot of dental pain which stopped him from being able to brush properly/ made him dislike brushing his teeth 3. We didn’t have much money and he didn’t think he was worthy of having money spent on him.
So I went behind his back and got financial assistance and booked a secret apartment at the dentist because if he knew he wouldn’t have went. Turned out he had 2 teeth that had grown into each other and needed to be removed. After his mouth had healed he went back to brushing daily and his mouth smelt fine.
Sometimes you just have to look a bit deeper instead of running or leaving :confused:

17 Likes

Does he have any mental issue going on? Maybe depression?

1 Like

Don’t leave. Be blunt.
You stink. It’s unhealthy. And it’s unattractive.
You need to start doing this this and this regularly. Or I go.
Be upfront and honest.

1 Like

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww. Run girl

Ew!!! Girl how do you deal with that?! I bet his breath smells like absolute shit!! Please move on!!!

Deep depression or addiction…either can make you not care about your hygiene.

1 Like

You have to have the conversation with him. No hinting around. If nothing else you deserve to make the effort to change what could make you desire him again. He deserves to know too, even if it hurts. You never know what understanding a proper conversation could bring. Is he depressed?

2 Likes

This is gross AF … I’d of been gone after a day or two … hell no

1 Like

5 years and your still there?

2 Likes

I feel ya girl… I thought it was me posting this :rofl::rofl: my SO is the same way. I bet mine is worse. He lives in the same clothes for days until he decides to shower. Like I know they say you can’t smell your own stench but I don’t believe that. I can smell my pits if I don’t use deo in a day. Couldn’t imagine not showering for a whole week or longer…

6 Likes

My daughter is autistic and hygiene and brushing teeth is hard for her with her sensory issues. It’s quite common in neurodivergent people. I would sit down and have the conversation in a nice way that he might not think he needs to wash but for his health he needs to. Some of these comments are more rotten than not washing!

7 Likes

Just tell him. What the heck. Lol i dealt with that in my last relationship. I told him. I had to remind him the way you remind your kids . I told him i dont want that on my juice box. Give me some kind of infection or something :face_vomiting: never kissed him either . Anyways its over. Lol

Ew. My ex was like this. He refused to brush his teeth and he used his excema as an excuse to only shower once every two weeks. I was with him for 10 years ( that’s a whole other story ) Now 4 years after leaving him, he has nubs and black gums.
Long story short, tell him to brush his teeth. Set an alarm on his phone to remind him if he has memory issues, if it’s depression, get him to a doctor. But my guess, he’s just dirty

5 years!! Hell naw!!

4 Likes

Na baby, go ahead. You deserve better.

7 Likes

Instead of “hinting” actually sit down and tell him out right. It’s your husband. You should be able to communicate with him, not expect him to pick up on “hints”. With that being said, gross.

12 Likes

My I take a shower regularly but yea for the last 3 years I’ve struggled with brushing my teeth. I went to the dentist the other day for a quote on some work that needs to be done. Just need to save up some money. I’m really trying. Maybe talk to him.

1 Like

Time to move on this is disgusting​:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Girl hes going to end up with some jacked up infection. That’s a no from me :grimacing: real talk tho hinting isn’t going to work you need to just be like dude your teeth are going to rot out of your head & you’re going to get some crazy ass infection

5 years?! :flushed: Damn you are tolerating to stay with that guy? I would left if he didn’t take care of himself for 1 month!

I have questions:
How long have y’all been married?
Has this always been?
Is there a medical reason?
Have you had an actual conversation?

1 Like

When I was going through my PPD it was really bad, I didn’t wanna shower or brush my teeth. My husband would talk to me about it and it honestly made me want to do it, because I can only imagine what he was thinking of me. Maybe try and have a blunt conversation with him, it could be something that’s hindering him. Personal hygiene is so important but it’s one of the main things people neglect during depression.

4 Likes

:thinking:you must not shower regularly or brush your teeth or else you wouldn’t be with a man for 5yrs who’s like that. He never brushed so why is it a problem now :thinking:

4 Likes

Have you ever thought that maybe he’s going to depression? Maybe something else? Depression is not always just crying, can be manifested in many ways. Think about, what can be more strong and bigger than to not care for himself?

4 Likes

Hinted…maybe try telling him. Talk to him!! If you would leave him before doing so then you relationship fucked anyway.

5 years OMG!!! 1 day is enough YUCK NOOOO

2 Likes

How did YOU last 5 YEARS?! Seems a bit late to complain…

4 Likes

I don’t think he will change some people are just like that

1 Like

Depression, anxiety and multiple other things can cause this. Mental health can have an effect on his personal hygiene.

1 Like

Poor hygiene is a sign of severe depression. He probably doesn’t love himself because yes men have emotions too. He needs help. But if you haven’t came out and RESPECTFULLY spoken to him about his hygiene he probably doesn’t really think you notice most likely because he doesn’t love himself so how could anyone care about and love him let alone care about his personal care. RESPECTFULLY talking to him, not using the words ew or gross or disgusting he may realize that someone does love and care about him.
In SICKNESS and in health, right? Well, this is a sickness and he needs your help.

10 Likes

This cannot be real like cmon 5 yrs his teeth must b falling out of his mouth and after the 1st cpl of weeks why wasn’t this addressed no way this is so fake

Check in on his mental health.
See how he’s doing and feeling. .unfortunately I went months with doing the same thing. But I was depressed and a hot fucking mess.
Over 1k in dental bills later and I’m back on a great path.
Some people are battling inner demons they will never bring to the surface

Sounds like mine. And he smokes n drinks.

1 Like

Sorry… That’s super foul!!

Why are people so easy to go against their vows??? You loved him enough to marry him at some point…so love him enough to talk to him and get to the underlying issue. Don’t be a shitty wife.

Oh wow do we have the same husband?? I wish mine took better care of himself. I don’t passionately kiss him because of this, just pecks. I don’t even know how to bring the conversation up anymore :confused:

2 Likes

Get the fk…wtf jesus :face_vomiting:

1 Like

The teeth thing, how did you let that guy go 5 years and not straight up telling him he needs to Atleast use mouth wash?
As for showering? Maybe try to get him to Shower with you :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Natalie Lehew
I didn’t know how else to tell you…it’s a problem. Lmao

3 Likes

Hygiene is one of the first things to go when someone is struggling with depression and/or addiction.

8 Likes

Nasty. Ask your spouse what is going on! If it’s depression, your spouse needs to get help. If it’s laziness, you need to tell him to take care of himself, or you will be moving on. I cannot imagine how horrible this would be to put up with. How have you lasted 5 years. It’s time to stop hinting at this point.

5 Likes

And your still with him? Once it passes 2 days thats it

2 Likes

:dizzy_face:What are they saying at his workplace. How have you been married. Sorry to hear about this

Instead of hinting like a 5 year old. Have communication with your husband ? Grow up

9 Likes

He literally has a Science project growing inside his mouth!!! GROSS!!!:nauseated_face:

1 Like

Gross🤢 but have you checked into counseling or anything? Could be depression.

2 Likes

I can’t even imagine :nauseated_face::face_vomiting: Didn’t you notice any of this before you said I Do? Just gross sorry

Instead of hinting, you should probably just come out and say it.

2 Likes

That is :face_vomiting: disgusting!!!

3 Likes

Straight up tell him his ass stank and needs to practice better hygiene :grimacing: gag

Give him an ultimatum. Either he cleans up, sees a dentist, showers daily and brushes his teeth daily or so long. That’s disgusting and I would say mentally ill.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I’m not even sure if this is a joke or not but you’re ready to leave your husband before telling him you want him to brush his teeth? Tell him.

8 Likes

Tell him to brush his teeth ask him how he’s feeling he could have a slight depression wow take him in the shower with you give him a bath maybe he needs mental help geezus

5 Likes

Is there an underlying reason?

I would talk to him to make sure his mental health is okay. He could be severely depressed and you could be making it worse.

7 Likes

Sounds like we are in the same boat sis! I’ve had several conversations with him in regards to it and he still doesnt get it. I’ll even come out of the bathroom brushing my teeth with foam coming out and nothing from him!

Tell him? How did you marry this man and NOT tell him? And if he was cleaner before marriage, how’d you go 5 years without telling him? Just do it. And maybe ask if he needs any help, because sometimes people are busy and forgetful, or maybe he’s depressed, or just struggling. And if he isn’t struggling, THEN give him an ultimatum. Because he’s either struggling, really forgetful, or lazy.

4 Likes

Stop HINTING at it and start communicating about it.

3 Likes

5 yeeeaaaarrrrrrrrsssssssss?

Most men do not take hints. Five years?? You should have sat him down and opened up a real conversation years ago.

7 Likes

Dude!! Talk to your husband!

Stop hinting. Tell him straight.

4 Likes

Cesar Alejandro Rodriguez

He actually has teeth left to brush?!

7 Likes

I had a boyfriend that did that and I NO JOKE told his mom. His mom had a serious talk with him and it worked. :joy: It was the worst. Needless to say it did not work out. I’m sorry.

3 Likes

Stop hinting and be direct.

2 Likes

Bye bye adios :wave::wave::wave::raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like

Stop hinting. Either tell him he needs to keep up with his hygiene or you’re walking. Simple… Nobody should have to be with a stinky slob.

1 Like

not to sound gross but when i was depressed i hardly showered or brushed my teeth . I mean i did but not in a normal routine either. I ended up making a dentist appointment and got back into doing that better. just have a gentle conversation with him.

6 Likes