My spouses family dislikes the baby name we picked out: Advice?

He is your baby. Name him what you want. They should be ashamed of themvelves if they will make fun of their grandbaby’s name. If they don’t like his name, then they don’t have to visit him. Enjoy your baby

1 Like

Please make your child what you and your SO want and ignore every single other comment. My in-laws made comments about the names we chose as well. We stuck with them and have not regretted it once. We love all their names and the family sucked it up and dealt with it. I would tell them if their intentions are to make fun of your child in any way they are not family anyway. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My mom didn’t like the name I picked for my daughter but no ones opinion matters but mine and my husband’s. If they think it’s okay to make fun of a small child over their name, they don’t deserve to be around that child. Tell them to act like adults or they’ll never get to see their grandson.

3 Likes

Who cares tell them to have a baby

1 Like

My twins dad’s family didn’t like the names we had chosen for them (even though they were family names) and claimed they’d be made fun of when they go to school. Yet they have never been made fun of… Also they are not named after a holiday like their dad… A name that easily is made fun of. My twins have very old and unique family names and my newest baby is named after two of his great gpas. Some people don’t care for the first name but my husband and I do not care. We made him. We got to name him.

1 Like

I love that name. Sounds like So’s family is a bunch of bullies. Correct them every time you hear someone make fun of him.

1 Like

That is fucking awful. It’s not up to them what you name YOUR baby. Screw them :woman_shrugging:t4:

In-laws are assholes, the sooner u accept that and choose to live your life for u and not them the better off u will be. Name YOUR kid whatever u want and if they can’t handle not making fun of him then they don’t get the PRIVILEGE of being around him🤷🏼‍♀️

Your baby, your name

1 Like

They will get over it!

1 Like

None of our family (mine and hubbys) liked the name we chose but we liked it so we named him it anyway. They soon forgot about it when he was born and all was fine when we told them that we’ve named him Rhys. It’ll be fine you choose what you like

2 Likes

My mom and my husband’s brother hates the name we picked out. We just remind them who the parents are​:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My mother was like this when I named my oldest daughter Phoenix Ophelia… now my mother couldn’t see her named anything else… my daughter was a rainbow baby and the reason why I left a abusive relationship…

1 Like

If someone threatened to already bully my unborn child, they wouldn’t be invited to visit after delivery or future birthday parties, and my child would never be around them unsupervised.

3 Likes

They aren’t giving birth, you are! Tell you don’t like their own names!

1 Like

Alot of people didn’t like that I was making my daughter Sunshine. I ignored them and I’m happy I did because I couldnt have chosen a more prefect name.

1 Like

Your baby Your baby Your baby. Anyone that thinks it’s ok to make fun of a child needs to be cut out.
(Luka is a beautiful name, I love it)

1 Like

That’s why you don’t reveal the name until the baby is born! :wink:

2 Likes

Tell them to do one they ain’t gotta like it it’s your child x

2 Likes

Your baby’s grand parents are talking about they’re going to make fun of your son? They’re trying to control you using your emotions. Today it’s the name. Later it’ll be how you feed him, raise him in general etc. Don’t back down! I would however limit their involvement in your son’s life. Inform them that if undermine your parenting in anyway they won’t get to be in his life. Stick to it. One & done.

9 Likes

It’s not anyone elses baby their opinion shouldnt matter

They start shit, they don’t see him. Really that simple. Respect the name he was given, that was CHOSEN by HIS PARENTS. Period.

Luka is a great name. Don’t let anyone tell you what to name your kid. My FIL tried that with me and lost my son was named after his 2 grandfathers

1 Like

And I adore the name Luka btw!

2 Likes

I don’t care what people think, & you shouldn’t either. Your baby, you name him whatever you want! They will get over it eventually!

2 Likes

You know names are a funny thing. My daughter named my first granddaughter- Harlee. I was just like “yuck “, but now it’s just so perfectly her! Name your child what you want as long as you think of how that name works for an adult!!

1 Like

My son was the first boy on my dad’s side in 50 years! No one really liked my son’s name (Damien, no judgment please lol) but it grew on them and they all say it suits him now. If anyone made fun of my kid’s name, like they plan to with yours, I wouldn’t hesitate to cut them out of his life. You don’t make fun of a baby!!

2 Likes

It’s your choice. My niece named her little girl Ruka. She is now 9 yrs olds :heart:

1 Like

Their opinion is irrelevant at this point then.

1 Like

My youngest is luca and no one calls him yuka lol we call him luc like luke

1 Like

they need to remember:
who made that baby,
Who birthed that baby,
who cares for that baby,
And who is raising that baby.
If they can’t show respect, and want to taunt a CHILD over them not getting their way on something, they don’t deserve to even have a relationship with that child.

55 Likes

I think Luka is a beautiful name.

4 Likes

My SOs family doesn’t like my daughters middle name because it’s Hawaiian (because I’m Hawaiian and it’s tradition). They all say it’s too long and it’s too hard to pronounce and she will be “so confused”. I just told them to fuck off.

Your child name him what you want very nice name

2 Likes

Tell them to grow up

1 Like

So? You’re baby you’re choice.

Stick with the name you picked out hun! My ex’s family hated the middle name I gave for my daughter which is Maree Jayde, saying everyone has the middle name Maree, but we combined both my mum’s name and my ex’s sister’s name in her middle name. They wanted me to change it but I liked it!

1 Like

I love the name Luka but spelled Luca. It is one of my baby boy names I would pick.

1 Like

I didnt even read this whole post but, 1st off it’s your and your mans baby not thiers. You like the name Luka then name him Luka, that’s a very handsome name. 2nd, SHAME on them for thinking it’s okay to make fun of someone because of thier name let alone a child. That is TOXIC period. If I were you i would put them in thier place.

2 Likes

My youngest, Artemis (Artie) Virginia’s name got a lot of hate, but I have no regrets! You name your baby what YOU WANT!

Excuse the language but… tell them to SUCK IT! I’m sorry but it’s not their kid and they don’t get to have an opinion on what you name him. I named my kids what I wanted regardless of what others thought. Luka is a cute name and a completely reasonable name and not something totally crazy like little sweetmeat lol you do you!

1 Like

There opinions do not matter. If they can’t respect the choice you and your SO make, they don’t need to be around the child.

1 Like

Your baby! Screw them.

1 Like

Screw them. Its not their baby to name. My gma was like this too but i said im naming my baby what i want. His name is Atreyu Phoenix. Dont let anyine else name that baby. I love luka. Unique and different. Its not the same ashley jacob matthew jessica… All very overused.

Thankfully no I picked names for all of my children 3

1 Like

I can understand them trying to pick out things he can be teased with, I did that with every name to make sure I wasn’t picking something that would cause my kids any grief later on in life… but Yuka!!! :rofl::rofl::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: That isn’t offensive, I would laugh if my name was Luka and someone called me Yuka being serious :woman_shrugging:t2:

Your child you pick the name

Stick to your guns. If they want to act juvenile and bully your sons name then they dont have to see him.

1 Like

What is it: Yuca, pronounced YOO-ka, is the root of the Cassava plant. Its name can be confusing because of its similarity to the southeastern United States desert plant native called the yucca (pronounced YUHK-a). The two are unrelated, though the spelling is often used interchangeably. We even had to check our shelves to make sure we had it right!

The large tapered yuca roots are similar in size and shape to a sweet potato and can be anywhere from one to several pounds in size. At the co-op, you can find yuca roots in the produce aisle. They look very much like its close cousins the yam and potato, with a rough, bark-like skin that must be removed by grating or peeling.

Yuca, or cassava, is a major staple food in the developing world, providing a basic diet for over half a billion people.[5] It is one of the most drought-tolerant crops, capable of growing on marginal soils. Here in the US, the name “tapioca” most often refers to the starch made from the yuca root.

Eh? My baby, my responsibility

Your baby correct? You name him what you want

Luka is a beautiful name. Not everyone agreed to what I named my son either (also a family of mostly girls) but the first time one of them everrr makes fun of my son is the last time they ever see him. I would never let anyone disrespect me or my son, even family

2 Likes

Its not their kid sooooooo

2 Likes

I went thru this with my SO’s family with both of my boys, we went with Isaac and Jakob but the other names I had picked I got told to pick a real name :roll_eyes:

Yeah, nobody liked my son’s name Myles Ellis when I announced it. They purposefully will misspell it (Miles) so I just said fuck it and started giving them back Christmas and birthday gifts that have the wrong name on them. Wanna be petty? I can be petty.

Luke is a lovely name You call your baby what you feel when born xxx

1 Like

Yep, sure did. Both pregnancies! I was told my kids HAD to end with ie like they all do and it was unfair to only use like my side for middle name inspo… My kids names are Nate and Isla and middle names are after my brother and my mum​:joy::joy::joy: they grow i MY belly and my partner 100% agreed we weren’t carrying their dumb tradition of ie​:joy::joy: and they no longer share a surname with those toxic people.
Now they dont even know our kids and good ridance to them. Their loss.

Do what YOU want. Thats your baby, not theirs. Tell them to shut up

3 Likes

I think it’s a sweet name Name! Name your baby what you want-he’s your child! I just don’t get people that feel they need to share an opinion on your baby’s name. I guess I’m lucky-I never had anyone express an opinion on the name we chose for our son. Neither of my sisters had trouble with family expressing opinions about their babies names either, and they had 5 kids between them before I had my son.

1 Like

unless they are the ones pushing that baby out, not their problem…as for them wanting to make fun of a child for their name…ypu and you SO tell them to get out of middle school and grow up

1 Like

I had the same problem with my husband’s family. It’s your baby not theirs. They can learn to deal with it or not be around that’s how I see it.

2 Likes

It’s your baby not theirs. Who gives a shit what they think. I think Luka is a beautiful name.

Love the name. My ex in laws didnt like either one of my daughters names, so what did I do?? Named them those names anyway…my kids my choice. They had their choice when they had kids now it was my turn (My parents loved the names, even if they didnt it was still our choice)

1 Like

It’s your baby your wish

Your son so no one else’s opinion matters, i would make a point if anyone makes fun of your sons name then they will not have anything to do with him!

Name the baby what you want

I love Luka, and they will love Luka. Stick to your guns

Is that baby coming out of their hoo-ha? Didn’t think so. Name your baby what you want.

1 Like

My son’s name is lucas but I call him luca, he always says i should of named him that lol

1 Like

If you like it do it! My parents didn’t like my sons name at first now they love it. It just takes them time to get use to it.

1 Like

Who is giving birth to that child? You or them? YOU. You don’t need to listen to other people’s opinion regarding your child

He’s your baby…

love that name my son is Seth Luka , who cares what they think ,your baby not theirs xx

Oh well, it’s your baby not his family’s. Screw what they like. Luka is a fine name.

l know a young man Luka hes well Mannered and is very respectful of many and just a Beautiful person

Plain and simple it’s your child

1 Like

We kept our kids names out of the headlight until they were born for this reason

I like the name Luka. Screw them!

1 Like

This is why my son’s name was Kermit until the day he was born. Then when everyone heard his name there was nothing they could do about it if they didn’t like it.

I have grandkids and I wasn’t a fan of a few of the names but once baby was here it didn’t matter. They all grew into there names and I couldn’t imagine calling them anything but.

2 Likes

Your baby. The name chosen is up to you and the father. No one else. And why in the world would grown adults make fun of a CHILD for their name or any other reason??

1 Like

I love the name luka.its your child.

If they make fun of your baby for having that name or for any reason you should punch them right in the schnoz

2 Likes

Sounds like they need to grow up!

1 Like

It’s your baby you name him. It’s not up to them.

I really like that name! Your baby, you get to choose the name. I ended up changing the name of my son because when I announced it my family started making jokes. I was so upset. If we decide to go for a third we won’t be letting anyone know the name.

I didn’t tell anyone my daughters name til she was born for that reason.

Long story short! Who
Gives af what they think. Case solved! You’re the parents

2 Likes

Nobody liked the name I picked out for my daughter (Juniper) but I didn’t relent and it grew on them over time. I also considered the name Luka for my son, but went with Lucas as a compromise, as it was pretty much the same situation. I think you should just let it go, it’ll either grow on them, or if they’re so petty that they wouldn’t get over something like a name, they don’t sound like the best role models to have around anyway.

Nothing wrong with that name. My son’s name is Lukasi (ᓘᑲᓯ) and I call him Luka for short. Your baby = your rules.

Yes my mom. I told her I had names thanks deal with it. We dint talk much but that’s her loss

dont let them decide baby name u name what u want and like . believe me been there and i stilled named what i wanted or we wanted but my middle daughter doesnt like a name she gets called by her grandma nick name

I have a grandson named Luca and can’t imagine him being named anything else. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love that name! Ive always used it for usernames but spelt Lucca or Luca. Its YOUR baby. Dont let them bring you down!

Like I told my daughter two months ago, this is yours and your husband’s baby. Name him/her whatever you want. It doesn’t matter who else likes it or dislikes it.

name Yuka means Reason, Fragrance, Flower and is of Japanese origin. Your baby name him as you please their opinion don’t matter.

If they want to name a baby they can have their own. If they want to tease your kid for their name then tell them you won’t bring him around them then.

My family hated my son’s name (Kylan ((Ky-Lynn)) ) and I ignored every negative response they had to it. It was my child, my choice. Once he was born it caught on and they didn’t say anymore negative comments about it. I think that because I was so unbothered by their negativity that they just stopped bothering with it :woman_shrugging:t3:

Diana Lucinda Portugal

Happened when I named my son Chandler. Everyone on his dad’s side hated it :joy: His middle name is Jacob so they call him CJ. I also wanted to name my daughter Monroe but everyone made me feel so bad about it so I changed my mind and she is now 7 and I wish I would have kept Monroe. Other people really don’t matter when this is your child :heart:

Yucca is a vegetable so I’m assuming his family is Caribbean, probably Puerto Rican like me. I actually like the name Luka. It sounds cool. Who cares what they think. It’s not their kid and they will love him no matter what. Just be prepared that they may give him a nickname and not a joking one because like you said he’s gonna be a boy, so he will be their treasure.