Should a 9-year-old shave?

I used my mom’s razer at that point but I had gone through puberty very young. I say go for it. :woman_shrugging:

I started at 8 :woman_shrugging: and did they same thing, was using my mums razors til I came to her with a mishap decided to shave my arms also :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: hahaha but mum got me shavers and told me not to shave anywhere else besides down there, under arms and legs haha

My oldest bonus daughter is ten. She just started shaving. However, her sister is 8 and her mom let her shave also. We don’t allow our 8 year old to shave with us but we do our 10 year old.

If she is already doing it I would just buy her one and explain to her how to do it properly so she doesn’t end up cutting herself. It may be too young but if it makes her feel comfortable about her own body then I say let her do it.

2 Likes

Jfc get the girl a dang razor. She’s obviously uncomfortable.

1 Like

I was so embarrassed and teased over my legs being hairy my grandma refused to let me shave until I was in like 8th grade so I would steal ones we had in the bathroom closet. Ended up with lots of cuts and scars because I was never taught properly. Please let her but also explain to her that she does not need to shave “down there” and that that is private and normal. Legs and armpits are fine right now unless she is going to be in a bathing suit and you can visibly see. Kids are going to find a way to do it regardless so might as well teach them how to be safe about it.

11 Likes

I feel like when they start getting self conscious about their body hair, it’s fine to let them shave. That being said, the youngest I would let my daughter shave is probably 8 or 9. Shes 10 and still doesn’t care to which I actually think is great.

1 Like

yes, I remember being made fun of! let her shave! but help her…

I started at 9 :woman_shrugging:t2: if she’s already doing it just make sure she knows how to do it properly and that she lets you know when she needs a new one and how to know she does

Who is seeing the ‘down there’ area that’s causing her to be self conscious about it?

6 Likes

Um a little girl should NOT be shaving down there period!! The legs are one thing but that’s a complete other!

8 Likes

I was 12 and my mom was SO agents it but a friend of her’s finally talked my mom into it and got my a raiser

I feel like they can’t even wash their arses right at that age so giving them a sharp object to shave a sensitive area might be a little too dangerous :rofl: now Nair for her legs would work great, just tell her no one should be seeing her no no square at 9 so she’s fine with how it is.

I let me daughter shave her underarms and her legs but not her lady bits. Seems too young for that

7 Likes

A 9 year old doesn’t need to be shaving her vagina…legs, arm pits, maybe if there is actual hair there. Why would a 9yr need to shave her vagina…I need answers to this…parents need to be parents and learn the word No. She’s way to young, stop sexualizing the children for gods sake!!

I wouldn’t let mine use a razor, I would buy her a trimmer though

Yes… I was 10 when I started

Electric razors till they learn to do it safely I’m 24 and have tooken gouges out I think it a little young to shave her private parts but to each there own

3 Likes

I was probably 9 or 10 (I was in 4th grade) when I started shaving…but just my legs.

2 Likes

Legs and armpits…but down there…but why?? I would discuss.

6 Likes

At this point, she’s already done it and she’s going to keep doing it whether you approve or not. Buy her own razors, give her a little safety talk and go about your businees feeling grateful she was comfortable enough to tell you.

5 Likes

She obviously doesn’t like the hair there for some reason. Maybe sit her down and talk to her about it.

1 Like

Little girls have no reason to shave the lady part. Arm pits and legs yes but not lady part. 9? Too damn young for that.

My daughter is 9. I only let her shave her under arms. She looked at her legs yesterday when she wore shorts to school and she said mama look at the hair on my legs. I told her she is still too young to shave her legs.

2 Likes

At 9yo, how the heck does she even KNOW about shaving “down there”?!?!:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

If they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to learn.

8 Likes

9 is way too young to be shaving that. And what school would a kid be completely undressed for gym class? At most, do the bikini line. But we start growing hair there for a reason.

7 Likes

When I was her age I get made fun of when I would wear shorts bc as a kid playing and sitting crisscross sometimes my shorts would peek and I got made fun of for it. Maybe talk to her about why she feels she needs to shave her bits and see if there’s a deeper reason like being made fun of. Some people who also shave pubic hair is bc it bothers their skin you could always ask again. It’s awesome she came to you about it and felt comfy enough to do so.

I would recommend getting her an electric trimmer and teaching her the safety of using it on her bits bc I’ve even nicked myself with an electric trimmer.

Ummm no. Df you need to do that for. Only reason why you shave down there is if someone is going down there. Legs, armpits fine, no argument from me but anywhere else, no. My first questions would be why and for whom?

6 Likes

IMO no girl needs to be shaving down there at that young of an age. :woman_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Like some others are saying… I’d take this opportunity to talk with her and see what her feelings are, talk with her on why she wants/started to do it. She brought it up to you so see what’s up. It could be other kids talking about it… it could be something else.

People are saying that she’s too young to shave.

But really it’s probably bc she doesn’t like the change her body is going through.

She’s been used to no hair being there and wants it to go away.

7 Likes

I’m sure she probably thinks she’s supposed to shave because her mom may shave down there :woman_shrugging: my little wants to do everything I do, probably doesn’t stop when she’s 9.
I’d teach her to shave her legs and razor safety. I use the hydro one that has the trimmer on the other side. Maybe the trimmer for her lady parts won’t tear her up!

2 Likes

10 was when I started shaving my legs…Seems a little much for a child to need to shave their private area

1 Like

Try an electric razor? Let her know it’s for her safety and if it’s irritating her (bc it’s new and she doesn’t care for it) this is a safer alternative. That’s awesome she’s talking to you about it instead of being instantly shut down or shamed for her honesty.

3 Likes

She’s probably uncomfortable about her changes. I’m not sure exactly how to go about it but my kids are the same age and I already know mine won’t tell me. It’s cool that she’s open with you so I’d take advantage of talking about it all and make sure she feels confident about herself and the changes. I feel it’s young but I feel also she likely isn’t going to stop either so I’d look at some of the electric ones so she doesn’t cut herself by accident. That’s a sensitive area for nics and cuts and ingrowns

1 Like

My 10 daughter has been shaving for about 18 months now, but only her armpits.

YES! help that baby! Or she will learn to do things behind your back! It’s our job to guide them. Not make them learn things on their own. She was Honest with you, now reward her by teaching her. Obviously she doesn’t like the hair, explain the purpose of it and help her find a solution!

11 Likes

It’s not my body. If my daughter feels uncomfortable with hair there, I would teach her how to do it safely.

9 is not too young to know what’s happening to her body. Little girls should have had the puberty talk well before that.

2 Likes

I would let her, just my opinion. Even as an adult, hair down there is really uncomfortable (at least to me), & I was really young when I started getting it, it was just as uncomfortable. & I lived with a single dad who didn’t want me to shave until I was 45, so I just snuck and shaved anyways lol. If she’s trusting and coming to you about it, definitely take how she feels into consideration.

1 Like

Not at all a nine year old got no bussiness shaving

8 Likes

I was a hairy child and got teased and bullied I was sneaking and shaving at 9 my legs and arms…can’t compare every child the same way

4 Likes

My 10 year old has been shaving her legs and arm pits for a year now I guess it kinda depends on the kid bc some kids start puberty faster than others now her other area she can wait until she gets a little older to decide if she wants to I’m not letting her rush that one

It’s just hair. Teach her mama! Help the girl out. I never got the big deal about not letting someone shave. Like I said, it’s just hair. :heart:

1 Like

All the people commenting she prob shaving down there because she doesn’t want it there, until she realizes its apart of life she’s gonna want to remove it, im sure many started out like this

1 Like

At 9 shaving her legs ?

Seems soon…but kids are pressuring peers more than ever…seems like it’s a go with the times kind of thing

I started shaving that when I first started my period ( think I was 10 ) BC it was easier to take care of , as an adult I still shave there, my just turned 7 and she likes to help me shave my legs , even tho she isn’t getting hair , but when she is older and she asks I’ll show her , its OK to show her how to do it safely , not all kids go to there parents about that stuff

2 Likes

‘Let’?
Does she want to? Obviously. She’s trying to. Follow her lead and let her. It is her body and there’s no harm that comes with shaving. Give her the info she needs and teach her.

We need to work away from the idea of thinking if we should ‘let’ anyone do anything with their own bodies. Age has no factor. Only factor is if there is hair or not to shave.

3 Likes

I started experimenting with shaving different areas when I was 10. Totally normal

Period + hair = feeling nasty. Honestly I’m 21 . I started shaving. Everywhere by 10/11 Bwcause Havinf a period . Sweat makes body Oder go up

3 Likes

I feel like that’s really young to be wanting to shave. What do you mean by “down there” where? Her legs? Her privates? I think this is good time to teach her to love herself the way she is

1 Like

Might as well if she’s using your razor

My kid started shaving her legs about 8 months ago, I noticed she was using an old one of mine that I still had replacement razors for so I bought her one that she likes. I just try and follow their lead tbh.

2 Likes

I’d be more scared of her cutting something :joy: just teach her how to especially the legs and stuff. I still cut tf out of my legs on accident sometimes and I’m 25 so I have to use 5 blade women’s razors from food lion (the pink one) any other razor I get cut up. Tell her not to bare down so hard so she doesn’t get hurt that’s a painful spot to get cut or nicked. Let her pick out her own razor and maybe a shaving cream or something

What’s wrong with hair down there…she prefers to be super itchy. Once you start…do the mom talk about peer pressure nonsense?

2 Likes

IMO I don’t think a 9yo needs to shave “down there”, they wouldn’t have any reason to…but the legs and under arms would be fine. Again, it’s just my opinion and everyone parents differently and everyone is raised differently. My parents took any “abnormal” (abnormal for me based on how I was raised) hygiene or physical venture as cues that I was being sexually active when I wasn’t. So that’s probably a big part of why I think 9yo is too young to shave “down there”. But you do you. You have the best idea of what would work best for you, your child, and your lifestyle.

3 Likes

I’m extremely and genuinely surprised at the amount of people who had hair to shave at 9 I must have just been late hitting puberty, but I would let my daughter . I want to support anything that makes her comfortable in her own body

1 Like

I have 3 girls. My 10 and 12 year Olds have been shaving for awhile. My oldest probably 2 years and he sister a year. When they asked we went it.

I would educate her on why we have pubic hair before encouraging her to shave it. This society has sexualized women and girls too much, everyone thinks hairless is normal and good for our bodies but it’s quite the opposite. Occasionally shaving for damage control is understandable but at 9 yo??? Come on she can’t have that much hair there already. As for legs and under arms I’d only let her shave if it’s absolutely noticable and she feels she needs to shave it. I have had dark thick hair all my life and I wasn’t allowed to shave until I was almost 13, I constantly got picked on for it, still do sometimes even as an adult because I don’t shave my arms and have dark hair instead of blonde like most women.

I think if it bothers her and that will boost her self esteem, let her. Just teach her how

9 is young but if she is already getting hairy then I don’t see why not

Use the one blade !! Google it ! It’s amazing! No razor burn, no cuts, and inexpensive!!

1 Like

I was 10 when I started shaving my legs and armpits. I never started shaving downstairs until I was 16. Let her do what makes her comfortable and happy

If she has hair down there or anywere she wants to remove as long as being supervised d being really careful its her body at the end of the day who are we to tell anyone they can’t shave if they more comfortable shaving

1 Like

Why does anyone need to shave their pubic hair, much less a 9-year-old?

I would explain to her not to use yours or other peoples razors! Take her to the store and let her pick out her own. My daughter is 10 and shaves her legs. My husband thinks she to young but I allow her to. :blush:

1 Like

If she’s already using yours I would buy her one and go over how to use it.

1 Like

Buy her a Billie razor. They sell them at Walmart now because you used to have to order them. Best razor ever!!

If she already did she is going to use your razor again anyway I would buy her some nice ones or she will cut herself or have horrible razor bumps

2 Likes

My mom let me start when I was in 3rd grade. Kids made fun of my hairy arms and legs in class and field day was coming up… lol water games etc. She she got me nair kit that had a rubber razor

3 Likes

Could buy her a trimmer I have a razor with a trimmer on it

Respectfully,
If she’s already using yours I would get her her own. Maybe like a cute lil self care package type?

7 Likes

My mom taught me ALLL the ways to remove hair I got a full lesson on pros and cons of each method and i feel that REALLY helped me. At 7 I was more hairy then ALLLLL my brothers combined so when I turned 9/10 I got a razor, nair, AND a wax kiNair, we experimented.
I’ve been waxing since! Shaving is easier at times and sometimes faster but the cons vs the pros for my hair type is not worth it to me in my opinion.

6 Likes

My mom didn’t want to teach me since I was too young ( i was 11) but I was so insecure I tried it by myself and shaved off about 1in 1/2 of my skin off

2 Likes

This is insanely inappropriate. Why does your 9yo even know about shaving that part at this age? What makes her think she NEEDS to shave her privates at this age? She learned it from somewhere. You need to teach her self love. She is too young to be worrying about shaving anything let alone thinking she needs to shave her privates. Do better

21 Likes

I refuse to encourage my daughter’s to shave anything other than their legs and underarms until 18

6 Likes

Gone are the days where there is some magically appropriate age for this or that.
I was ashamed for years because of my hairy little body. It was unnecessarily cruel to make me wait until 13 to shave.
Teach her and empower her. Praise her for talking to you about it. Open communication with our kids is a series of showing up. Show up and hold space.

10 Likes

You have to show her how. I wish someone had shown me so many cuts and ingrown hairs. Hitting puberty young is very hard

She needs her own razor. She needs to learn sharing razors with people is not safe.

2 Likes

Yes she is old enough to shave if she feels comfortable doing it

2 Likes

Way to early and she needs supervision be there for her that’s what mothers do.

2 Likes

Way too young. Stop her NOW.

1 Like

If she’s already shaving and using your razor, then YES, get her her own. ASAP! Not healthy or hygienic to use other people’s razors at all. Even moms.

6 Likes

Also, explain to her about shaving and that it means it can grow back faster and than you have to upkeep . And also, explain to her the dangers of using other peoples razors. And to never share a razor with a friend, relative, or even her mom. Not safe. Don’t want her getting infections or diseases. Explain it all. Get her shaving cream, and a razor :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

She is a little young but if it bothers her I’d let her. My mom gave me a woman’s electric razor when I started shaving… I loved it.

Why is she at 9 shavings there maybe armpits am I wrong?

4 Likes

Yes! Buy your kid their own razors! I had the same situation with my 12 yr old son using my razor to shave. Ugh :woman_facepalming:t3: lol!
But if she is self conscious, do not say no to shaving! Remember it’s her self esteem…

3 Likes

I think it depends she is already doing it, just teach her how to do it properly. My daughter is 11 and her legs are hairy but she could care less so I let her be. I told her when she is ready to shave let me know and I will teach her.

3 Likes

If she’s already started, get her her own. And please teach her the correct way to do it & what not to shave, etc. I started shaving around that age & my mom refused to get me one, so I continued using her razors & also would shave my arms, toes and other areas I didn’t need to be shaving (that fortunately didn’t become an longterm issue, but definitely can be something she’ll have to keep up w for life.)

5 Likes

Theresa Gnatzig Gleesing :rofl:

Absolutely not no never she is 9 years old let her be a child. This is wrong

7 Likes

She’s young, but since she’s already stealing yours I’d just allow her to and get her one of her own. More sanitary for you both. Clearly it bothers her. Sit her down and talk to her about it and other stuff that comes with getting towards and in puberty if you haven’t already. However it sounds like she already made up her mind about that hair. And if you say no to getting her a razer, she’s likely to keep taking yours. Even if you hide it, she’ll just keep looking for it. So in this situation I’d say you’d be better off explaining things to her and supporting her including her decision.

10 Likes

Yes, and shouldn’t be shaving that area

2 Likes

Bodily autonomy…she is old enough to understand and go behind ure back so let her. It’s not that big a deal.

1 Like

Shes 9 a preteen beside that hormones in every family and person is different which can make you feel dirty and stinky because hormones make your bodies chemical compositions change your bodies natural oder. She maybe uncomfortable with having hair in certain places cause some times it does get itchy or irritated and you should be open and honest especially being shes already tried shaving. Teach her the correct ways of shaving and the benefits and the cons but teach her properly with her own sanitary supplies let it be a good bonding process picking her own stuff a couple options what she could try including scents ,types of razors or wax stuff, soap vs plain water vs gel or creams, after shes made a well educated decision on her own. I was 8.5 when I started because my body also started puberty way before most of my friends and the long hair made me feel like I stink and it itched but I also had peoblems with hot flashes from my hormone changes so thats why I decided to talk to my mom about it and she let me pick out a few supply options and shoose what worked best for my just like during my period.

3 Likes

My daughter turns 10 in June and has had her periods every month since 14 days after she turned 9. She recently shaved on her own then told me so I have taught her how to and got her, her own razor, If they are ready they will find a way.

2 Likes

It’s not hurting anything for her to shave… I don’t see the issue.

3 Likes

If shes being open and honest with you about her body, insecurities ect, and what she’s doing, and you tell her she can’t… she might then hide things from you also in the future :pleading_face:
whatever you choose, just help make her feel comfortable and guide her. Trust YOUR mommy instincts, not every one else’s :white_heart:

5 Likes

She’s going to keep trying whether you tell her she can or not. It’s better for you to just follow her lead and teach here everything there is to know. You want them to be open with you with things like that, so don’t give her a reason to start being secretive. Tell her it’s okay to have body hair, but if she really wants to shave you will support her.

4 Likes