Should I allow my 18 year old son to have a sleepover with his girlfriend?

If they were respectful of the other people in the home I wouldn’t care. There adults and will be doing things with each-other weather you allow it under your roof or not lol

i would say let them do it. there is no point in trying to keep things from happening. it’s most likely already happening whether you realize it or not, take it from an 18 year old girl😂 just make sure they know how to be safe and are being responsible.

2 Likes

No. All me "old fashioned ". They don’t sleep together under my roof unless they’re married

8 Likes

I would rather them be at home then somewhere unsafe! It is going to happen regardless! They have to many crazy people in this world and at least they are in a safe place! Just make sure they have protection! This is a new world we live in and I am not happy with it happening but it is going to happen!

1 Like

Educate your son about safe sex and then buy noise canceling headphones. Let teens be teens. :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

He at least he asked. I would say yes for that score at least.

1 Like

Nope he can go do that at her house not in my home

2 Likes

My husband moved in with me and my parents when I was 16. We slept in separate rooms until I was 18 or 19 then my mom told him he could start sleeping in my room if he wanted. We never asked just let it be what it was because we didnt want to get in trouble. My mom was scared about what people would say and scared I would get pregnant (never did though) we hung out in each others room every single night though until bed time. My mom always told me so wasnt as strick with me and my brother because of the way her parents kept her from doing so much. Honestly I think it depends on how mature you child is also. :woman_shrugging: me and my husband have been together 12 years married for 4 now and have a 2 year old. I feel like if my parents hadn’t let him stay we wouldnt be together. I know it’s not exactly the same as just staying the night but :woman_shrugging: but either way they are gonna do whatever they wanna do weather at your home or the girlfriends

1 Like

He’s 18 so just even that he asked your permission show something but he really don’t need your permission

Honestly, he’s 18 chances are they probably already did it. Just make sure he has condone and I’d allow it to happen. I slept over my boyfriends house when I was 18, he also moved into my house when I was 18 and he was the love of my life.

2 Likes

I let me 2 year old have sleep overs with her boyfriend. They’re adults let them do their thing.

1 Like

It’s your house your rules

Idk why teenagers having sex is something that should be normal.:woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face: they can have sleep overs when they move out. Just my opinion​:woman_shrugging:t5:

9 Likes

My boyfriend lived with me from the time i was 17 until we moved out. We slept together in my room. Were now married with 2 children.
Not letting them spend the night together isnt going to prevent anything thats probably already happened. Its better than them sneaking around and being unsafe. Buy him some condoms make sure they both understand ovulation

6 Likes

There adults so tbh they didn’t have to ask. But they did it shows respect. So how about u show ur son some back and trust him. And allow him to be an adult or ur gonna push him away.

11 Likes

I always said no it’s a home not a motel

3 Likes

Nope. Want to sleepover? Get your own place. Least in my home… if her parents allow it that’s their house their rules. 18 or not my children will not be having sleepovers in my home

15 Likes

He paying any rent? A bill?
Then…no

2 Likes

I guess it’s your house your rules, however my oldest son has a girlfriend and they are always at my house. As long as they are good and taken care of I really don’t care as long as my
Kids are home safe and sound.

10 Likes

Maybe this is a discussion you should be having with the girlfriends parents. See where their head space is regarding the sleep overs and take it from there.
Have they been dating for a long time?
It’s a delicate situation, if you say no and her parents say yes, then your son will be at her house all the time. Or if you both say no, it may cause lying and they will sleep in all sorts of different places, which is not what you want.
However scary this is for you, there is a lot of discussions that need to be had.
Good luck!

1 Like

They’re adults. The more you restrict them, the more they’ll do behind your back x

2 Likes

Legal adult I would let me kids as long as they know how to be safe but will happen regardless if you want it to or not but sound like you and your son have a really good relationship since at 18 he has the respect to ask your opinion seems responsible to me

2 Likes

There going to have sex if there in your house or not just make sure they use protection

4 Likes

Not unless you want another baby

1 Like

There gona do it somewhere :joy:

I wouldn’t take advice from people who can’t spell.

1 Like

I lived with mine by 18 and had a baby on the way, its only a night together :joy:

Nope!!! End of discussion… love for them…

I don’t see why not, they’re already sleeping together, just ask them to be respectful and not doing anything under your roof. There’s potential that she could be a part of your life for a long time so why not make her feel welcome

4 Likes

It’s what ever you are comfortable with - for some families it’s a big no no others feel once you are an adult it’s ok :ok_hand:
The fact is at that age they are sleeping together anyway at this point so it’s whether you are happy for that to happen under your roof .
My boyfriend was allowed to sleep over once I had been with him quite a few months I was 17 ( age of consent in U.K. is 16)
I only ever had one boyfriend and I’m actually still with him and married to him now 17 years later lol

1 Like

My sons girlfriend stays over every weekend, they are both adults and both very sensible. You know your child best, have an open, honest conversation with them both then decide. They will appreciate the trust.

2 Likes

They are 18, they are probably well at it anyway. I would allow it, so long as Contraceptives are being used and the other patents are in accordance.

Met my husband when we were 17… by 18 he became my boyfriend. We were both 18… I was a senior with two pt jobs and responsible. My mom and dad saw our attachment and knew I spent every free, waking moment with him. When we asked my parents if he could stay… it was allowed with restrictions. For the first six or so months he was bound to the couch and my bedroom was off limits unless the door was open. My parents also realized that I had met all the Hs goals we had set together and by the time spring had rolled around my parents came to see that he wasn’t a “fly by night” kind of guy and through respect and trust he became a part of our home and family and was allowed into my room. We were honest with my parents. My mom was less impressed with the idea of backseat, hidden in the woods sex. She didn’t want that for me. She also knew we were adults we were 18 and nature is nature. My parents could have said no! They could have put tougher restrictions on me. They didn’t! I thank them for that to this day. I didn’t have to sneak, lie, park in a hidden place… I was allowed to experience being a woman in the safety of my home. We used protection and had honest conversations with my parents about sex and responsibilities. Our first child came seven years after we met… still together to this day and currently riding the wave of teenagers. It is not easy. But this situation belongs to you, your adult child, his gf and her parents. There is no right or wrong answer here. The answer lies with you guys, what works for you, not anyone else.

17 Likes

At 18 they’re both adults! In Scotland you can legally get married and set up home at 16.

Their old enough in my opinion. I’d let him

3 Likes

I let mine do it when the freeze happened because I didn’t want him driving on those roads but they slept in separate bedrooms and had 2 parents there with them.

2 Likes

Yes, if you tell them no they are gonna sneak anyway…

7 Likes

If you want to be a grandma, go for it.

8 Likes

I would speak to everyone at once including her parents. Yes they are of legal age however they are both still in school relying on parents.

11 Likes

Better than sex in the car

1 Like

They are legally aloud to , if they are responsible , maybe chat to the parents and teenagers about birth control ect.

2 Likes

They’re legally adults, so yes. Obviously continue drilling sex ed into his head lol.

4 Likes

Their consenting adults i say let them or honestly they will just sneak out anywaus lol

No, they’re still in high school. They may legally be adults, but if you’re in high school, you’re not an adult and shouldn’t have adult privileges.

3 Likes

They are adults, remind of safe sex tho.

1 Like

He’s 18 let him do it

If you’re okay with them presumably having sex in your home then let them. Even if they say they won’t I’m sure they will… they’re 18, I’d let them sleepover. But I also grew up with parents who let me do that kind of thing starting at age 16.

1 Like

Either that or he’s going to do any why ? Cuz he is an adult

1 Like

Id say yes, they’re both old enough to make good decisions.

1 Like

They are both 18… They are adults. But if he still lives at your house, he has to live by your rules. Then again, deny him this, and they will sneak around. My opinion… Give him condoms, and allow it. On the condition that they use said condoms… Jmo

9 Likes

My parents didn’t let boyfriends sleep over. My husband couldn’t even stay at my parents house while we were engaged. It was just their rule. I didn’t question it. I just stayed at his place.

9 Likes

I had friends that were boys - NOT my boyfriends - that were allowed to stay over but my grandparents bedroom was in the middle of our home with a bedroom on each end. Grammy was a light sleeper and there was to be NO HANKY PANKY or it would have never happened more than once. And I respected them and their home even when I was older with my now husband after our first 2 children even!

1 Like

Well technically he’s an adult

My parents let my boyfriends sleep over when I was 14 since they knew where I was and if I wanted to do something I was going to do it no matter what they said.

4 Likes

I would. They are adults BUT it’s still your house and they need to respect your rules. I have an 18 year old as well.

3 Likes

They’re 18, They’re legally adults. You can’t stop him.

Theyre 18, really asking is just a courtesy so yeah id let them.

2 Likes

Better in your house than somewhere else. Just be sure they both understand proper protection for all the obvious reasons

3 Likes

If you want open and honest communication with your child, yes, stop judging him, trust you have guided your child to make good choices

3 Likes

The Oakey doke. Lol.

1 Like

Legally allowed to do what they want. However, it is your discretion on what to allow in your own home.

3 Likes

Safe sex talk - that’s all.

3 Likes

Oh hell no. My kids are not playing house under my roof :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

First, it says a lot that your son came to you and asked and talked about it. You’re already doing something right. The way I see it, sex is probably already happening, and I’d rather know that they’re safe—not parked somewhere or doing stupid shit. I shared a room with my much younger sister and my parents rule was the door had to be open. That seems fair to me :woman_shrugging:t3:

13 Likes

They’re not gonna be sleeping

4 Likes

They’re going to have sex regardless of if you say yes or not. However I understand being uncomfortable with the idea of a sleep over. My mom would have laughed my ass into next week if I asked if a boyfriend could sleep over when I was still in high school

2 Likes

My child hell no my mother didn’t allow it and I want either

5 Likes

Nope, before you know it, you are a gramdma…or she’s living with you permanently

4 Likes

Well he is 18, so honestly you don’t have any say. If you won’t allow her to stay at your house, fine. But if your ADULT son and his girlfriends parents are comfortable with him staying there, it’s their choice. Not yours.

4 Likes

Honestly they’re probably doing it anyways. 1 night over won’t make your chances of becoming a grandma any higher than any other day would​:woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

4 Likes

You might not allowed in your house but if the girl’s mother allows it as long as he’s safe then it should be fine

2 Likes

They’ve probably already done the deed anyways, can’t stop them these days

6 Likes

If he’s 18 he’s a legal adult and should be able to make his own decisions

8 Likes

Speaking as a child who was allowed to have my high school boyfriend stay at my house and come on vacations. My mom sat me down and explained what her expectations were when he was here. It was an amazing experience I felt understood, heard and respected of my wishes and came up with a set of rules that worked for everyone in the house. I will always respect my mom so much more for taking this step with me and allowing me to take adult steps while still under her supervision. I felt very responsible and respected. Just my experience but open conversations is the best start

24 Likes

Not only no but HELL NO

7 Likes

I’ve learned the hard way that saying no doesn’t always help. All children are different though. And it’s not about how you raise them…but how matured they actually are. Everyone here will be giving advise by thinking of their own children. Me included. However…at the end of the day, he’s your son. And I’m sure you know whether you can trust him or not. :heart:

7 Likes

We joked about “splitting custody” with my daughter and her boyfriend when she was a senior. He graduated the year before. My husband slept in the recliner. The boyfriend slept on the sofa. My daughter slept in her room with the door open and I “slept” in our bedroom with the door open. She did online schooling and vocational school. They moved the June after she graduated. And announced she was pregnant on her 18th birthday. I still to this day feel like the pregnancy is my fault since i kicked her out that June.

1 Like

If you think your son is mature enough to know that if he does do something he needs to be safe about it then I dont see an issue. Just personally every kid is different and you’re mom you would know the best if its irresponsible or not!

Your house, your rules, boundaries established should be respected.

3 Likes

I’m like seriously wondering what’s going on with this page lately… if he’s 18 he’s legally an adult even if he’s in your house.

16 Likes

My boyfriend used to have to sleep on the couch or in another room. It was that way until we got engaged. I would like to do the same with my daughter when she gets up there. I feel like letting them sleep together you know what they’re going to be doing and I rather not know what’s going on and they can find their own time to do that not in my house or while I’m in the next room. May be an unpopular opinion but :woman_shrugging:t3: I can see why my dad didn’t want his little girl sleeping in bed with her boyfriend. Out of sight out of mind maybe :thinking:

1 Like

Um…if they are already sexually active, I’d ask the other parents for a meeting. If they’re not sexually active, I’d say out of respect for you…they can either wait or pay to get a room🙄

Just make sure they have protection available and that it’s okay with her parents as well. At 18 he’s an adult legally even if he’s still in school. Stress the importance of safe sex and its perfectly fine.

2 Likes

I feel the only way hes allowed to have females sleep over or someone hes attracted to is if hes paying rent.

2 Likes

I used to stay at my boyfriend’s house when I was a senior in high school. It didn’t mean we were having sex. And if it did, that’s okay too. It’s gonna happen whether you allow them to have the sleepover or not.

1 Like

I mean you can be against it but he is legally able to do it if he wishes to so other than a casual reminder that if they have sex to be safe, there isn’t much you can do

2 Likes

My 16 yo daughter who was with her boyfriend from yr7 to yr 12 i.e from 13 yo to 18 yo asked me if she should go on the pill.
I told her yes but only do it if you want to, never just for someone else.
So yes.
But not at my place.

At this point I just need to leave this group :rofl: all of y’all sound ignorant as if 18 year olds can’t support themselves and a child they are RESPONSIBLE for!! Sit down with your fucking children tell them about sex and what the risks of it are!! They gonna do the shit with or without your damn consent

5 Likes

Yes. If they want to have sex they’re going to do it regardless of what your rules are. I would rather have them under my roof than in a parked car or something.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t if they’re still in high school. Just in case anything happens, at least they’re out of high school.

Only if you want to be a grandma by this time next year. He may an adult but if he’s still under your roof…your rules. If you say no, then no.

2 Likes

18 is considered an adult in Canada. At that age, ideally they can make adult decisions🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

Hmmm that’s tough…I mean my parents had the double standard lol I wasn’t allowed to have a guy sleep in my room til I was 24 and my ex moved in temporarily because he got a job transfer sooner than expected while we were waiting to move into our place, yet my little brother had his girlfriend sleeping over at 19 lol :woman_facepalming:t3: I know they are 18 so “technically” adults, but me personally, I wouldn’t allow it while still in high school. But yea DEFINITELY reiterate the safe sex too!

They’re gonna do it whether you allow it or not.

3 Likes

Absolutely noway!!.. still in school, still depending on parents, will also depend on parents for diapers and wipes in 9 months

1 Like

My grandma let me stay at my boyfriends house when I was in high-school, and go on vacation with him. But it was under rules and supervision. No doors closed, usually slept in the living room. On vacation we slept in the same bed, but his mom was in the same room in the next bed over lol.

1 Like

Ummmmmm…not the popular answer but no. My daughter is 19, and don’t give me the she’s an adult BS. We(her father and myself) pay her tuition, bought her car, pay her insurance, buy her clothes, everything she needed for college, pay her gas…point is she is not an adult! She is a 19yr old dependent on her parents. Now, she and her boyfriend may have sex when the are away from us, I am not condoning it happening in my house. She also doesn’t spend the night at his parents’ home. They’ve never stayed the night together. I’m not naive enough to think it won’t happen, but it’s not going to happen because I turned down the bed and left mints on the pillows for them.

7 Likes

My husband and I use to have sleep overs when we were in high school. Lol Wev been married 6 years now.

As a parent we all want to say no. At that age they are either about to or already sexually active and gonna find away one way or another :woman_shrugging:t2: the conundrum. My boys are 2 and 1 so I have awhile to worry about this lol. Good luck on your decision mama

1 Like

Talk birth control, safe sex, safe choices. I wouldnt condone a sleepover though, but I would have a talk with both of them together and maybe the girlfriends parents.