Should I cut my sister off or forgive her?

If she acknowledged that she was in the wrong and sincerely apologized, accept it. You guys dont have to be best friends, but she is your sister. People saying to cut toxic people family or not, thats not the case here. It was ONE incident, everyone had their moments. I lost my sister who was my all time best friend a few months ago, snd I’d give anything to get that back. Ive even reconciled with my other sister who ive never had a relationship with in my life. Cause she’s my sister, my blood.

1 Like

She sounds toxic and dramatic. I wouldn’t go out of my way for her. I also wouldn’t get myself involved in dealing with her or her issues in depth. I would let my mother deal with the problem she created and stay out of it. She’s got issues a therapist can handle. Why would anyone go to the length to record someone on a random conversation? It’s one thing if they are a known liar and drama starter it’s another when you weren’t even expecting the conversation to begin with.

1 Like

It will take time to get the trust back. However, forgive her, put it in the past and move forward. Family is always family and life is too short to not forgive. You never know when someone’s final days are and you are going to regret the time you could’ve had with her.

Go to counseling with her. Tell her if she’s really sorry she needs to work on healing herself. Those type of actions and words don’t just go away. She needs to know that how she acted towards you is abuse. It’s not right to physically hurt someone or threaten them or yell at them. Your sister must have some past trauma that is being triggered. Family is important. You all have your mom and she sounds like my mom. All she ever wanted was her three kids together and she never really got it and the few times she did we didn’t really get along or straight out toxic fighting. I would have very firm boundaries with your sister but I wouldn’t shut the door on her. But she will probably act out and manipulate in order to get what she wants instead of just having honest open communication. People like that usually just have trouble being vulnerable and you’re family so she’s being kinda childish but she can’t see that. Maybe you’d slowly be able to help her if you wanted to. I hope this helps :purple_heart:

Everyone deserves a second chance x

Please forgive her. I lost my younger sister in January please please forgive her.

It’s sisters. It happens. Move on and get ur sister back into ur life

1 Like

Life’s short. What happened isn’t something that can’t be forgiven. Reconcile.

It really depends on of this was a single situation or if this is an ongoing issue. She honestly may be having a mental issue and is in need of help.

4 Likes

You can forgive her…but keep your guard up around her…she sounds a little off…

13 Likes

It’s possible she was going through something and did lash out. I’ve gotten angry and regretted saying things before. If she apologized, I’d forgive her. If she pulls anything like that again, then you know what to do. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Family is not always family.
The fact that she accused you and threatened you in front of your daughter- is not ok. I would cut her out :woman_shrugging:t2:

11 Likes

Yaaaah, no. You physically threaten me in front of my child you’re dead to me after.

4 Likes

Family is family but that doesn’t mean you have to forgive and forget or even associate with them. Honestly, your sister may have some mental health issues. Especially if she has acted this way before. If she hasn’t, she may have just been hurt. Regardless, the situation really didn’t have anything to do with her. Your mother should have sent the other sisters boyfriend on his way home.

2 Likes

First of all, I honestly think your sister has mental health issues blowing up that way for no reason. Secondly, she is your family and she’s apologizing. Maybe consider giving a second chance, but keep being vigilant.

3 Likes

It depends. Is she always like this? If so, family or not , toxic is toxic. If this was a single heated incident , I’d cautiously forgive her.

5 Likes

She’s crazy. Bye bye

I say give her a chance, but not close till you trust her

Well she physically threatened you while you had your daughter over her thinking that you were recording your conversation. You could forgive her for the peace of mind, but if it were me, I wouldn’t go out of my way to talk to her or see her.

I lost my brother in 2016. Forgive her.

2 Likes

Was it a one time thing or is ongoing issues with her? I would probably forgive her but keep her at a distance for a while and see what happens. Does she have a drug problem? Other things going on like a break up and she just wasnt herself, etc?

1 Like

You can forgive her without being around her again. I wouldn’t invite that craziness back in my life or around my kids. Who knows what will happen next or how far it will go.

3 Likes

It’s ok to forgive her, but you can also love her from a distance. You don’t have to put up with toxic behavior just because they’re family. Love her from a distance and keep the peace in your family.

5 Likes

Toxic is toxic…let the trash go

Was drugs or alcohol involved? Sounds like she’s unstable and may have mental health issues. I’d forgive her, you didn’t come to blows, she called and apologised. But only you know joe you feel about it.

1 Like

I had a falling out with one of my sisters awhile back. We literally fought not argued. Since then we have made up and become closer. Our mom is gone, our older sister is gone abs her only child is gone. One day you will need your sister when there is nobody else. Siblings fight that’s what we are suppose to do. But we also learn to forgive and be family when we need to

1 Like

Tell her you love her and forgive her, but are not ready to allow her back into yours or your daughters life.

4 Likes

Forgive but don’t forget and tread lightly!

5 Likes

Yes family is always family but toxic is toxic it don’t matter if it’s family or not …I don’t really have enough info on your sister and her personality and if she has blown up in the past ,was she under a lot of stress at the time… to say keep your distance or let her back into your life .only you know her and can make that decision

I mean was this incident a one off? Has she always been like that? I would say if this was a one time thing then move on and be in each other’s lives. If it’s a pattern and she’s just a toxic person then i would keep my distance. Just bc someone is family does not mean you have to have them in your life

2 Likes

Sounds like she’s got some mental problems and should seek help before you get together again - best of luck!

2 Likes

I think she wants something

3 Likes

Depending on the relationship prior I guess…has she always been this volatile? Mental health issues, paranoid over the phone , then wanting to fight …that’s not normal behaviour…the thing is as adult siblings, we don’t always agree or as in your case , things blow up and before you know it, you’ve missed years of being with family to hold a grudge. She’s apologised, you have already set boundaries by not speaking to her after her last display of awful behaviour…families are hard , but regret would be worse. Good luck

She went after you instead of the sister who brought the “boy” to a “no boys allowed” holiday because you are the more stable 1. She feels she can push her anger on you & you’ll still be there. If you go back watch out she’ll do it again. It may be years but she’ll come at you again. I’d say go with your gut.

2 Likes

Put your daughter first, if she could threaten you in front of her that should tell you all you need to know, just because someone is family doesn’t mean they get to get away with being toxic to you and yours.

5 Likes

Make things right for your sake tomorrow may never come!!:pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

I think its crazy that you brought your baby on a girls weekend. If she couldn’t bring her son why did you bring your daughter? This whole situation sounds shady. Either it’s a girls weekend with mom and the sisters only or it’s a family trip with kids and husbands and boyfriends and whoever. I would have been pissed if I didn’t bring my son and showed up and your baby daughter was there. Nobody should have escalated it to trying to make it physical but it sounds like the whole thing was pretty messed up and there was a serious lack of communication.

3 Likes

Toxic is toxic, whether it’s family or friends. You can forgive her but you don’t have to be around her. My brother is toxic and we have been better off without his conniving ways. Do we miss him? Yes, but at the same time, we know how he is and it’ll never change. At some point, you have to let go for your peace of mind.

1 Like

Somebody gets that type of way around my baby they better hope they don’t see me without em, that’s all ima say cause h*** nah.

1 Like

Let it go! Life’s to short!

As a sibling that had to bury her big brother I say make up and let it go. My little brother and I have gotten into screaming fights over the years as being adults and we always have made up. As long as this isn’t a constant thing and she was just having a off day and being upset with your guys other sister let it go. Honestly your always going to fight cause that’s what siblings do

1 Like

I haven’t talked to my sister In 7 years and don’t plan to she has had another baby and I never see them I have 2 new baby’s and she’s never met them and it will be that way some times family is just toxic

2 Likes

Forgive and forget life is really too short

2 Likes

She shouldn’t have escalated it to the point she did. But I can see why she would be so pissed. You were allowed to bring your child but she wasn’t? That’s not right at all.

3 Likes

WOW!!! this whole drama is very childish, You do what you think si best for you.

Look no matter what happened you are family your sisters are all you have till the day you die!! When your parents pass away they are who will still be there! Not the same thing but my youngest sister has disowned our family for whatever reason and went and legally changed her whole name!!! It hurt pretty bad finding out especially since she told me i didnt do anything to her personally but she still disowned me!! I wanted to be petty and when she needs me not be there for her but really she will need me and my other sister one day weather she wants to see it or not! Anyways give your sister a little break even if you have to talk to her about it and tell her how u feel everyone has bad days and makes mistakes so just talk to her be adults and then if you dont like how its going or how she acts about it then make your decision!!

I’ve gotten in a big argument and cussed out my sister in front of my mother and my aunt (not in front of kids) because how ungrateful she was. She came up to me and told me I was right and that she loved me and we have a stronger relationship now then we had before. What I’m trying to get at is that it’s harder to be the first one to apologize when they are in the wrong. I would accept the apology and if it happened again don’t be quick to allow it slip

2 Likes

Keep her far away
It’s toxic they don’t change

Toxic is toxic, it’s totally your decision on who is in you and your child’s life. If and when you decide you want to give her another try, do so than.

If that is not a normal behavior for your sister then maybe talk to her to better understand what happened, maybe she was going through something at that time that caused anxiety issues for her, you don’t know what was causing her paranoia is it so important to you to cut her out without finding why she did what she did? To me family is everything I would do anything to make my family members lives better. I don’t always get along with my brothers but that does not mean I stop loving them and caring about them. How would you feel cutting her off and finding out she died in a car accident, would you be happy about not trying to resolve the differences or would you feel guilty?

1 Like

Life is short. If she apologized, then let it go. But if it happens again, then I definitely wouldn’t let it slide. I would let her know that that she did to you was unacceptable and if it happens ever again, it won’t be the first time, but it DEFINITELY is going to be the last time. Tell her you’re still salty and need time and space to get process it mentally; there’s nothing wrong with that, and you’ll see if she truly meant it by her response. If she’s truly sorry, she will understand and give the space you need as long as you need.

1 Like

Let it go but be cautious. Next time, ask her what a physical fight would prove? That she is physically stronger than you? Agree that she is. No need to fight she is stronger. That she is right, just agree with her. Say she is right because does it matter really? Do you have to be right?

Forgive. Just take your time rebuilding. Not worth your child losing out on an auntie nor the added stress of inviting certain people, and not being able to freely speak with family as to offend another member of the family. I grew up with my parents not speaking to family, and it was tough. I never got to see my cousins or grow up with them. I missed out on amazing relationships with aunts and uncles.

2 Likes

I would never be able to trust her the way I had prior to that. However, life is short … and if something (God forbid) ever happened, you don’t want to live with any guilt. She was acting out of anger I think, but I still don’t think that’s acceptable at all

Forgive but never Forget……

1 Like

I say take a break from each other for a while. She will show her true self eventually and then you can make your final decision.

2 Likes

Toxic is toxic doesn’t matter if it cuts family. And her behavior is not normal.

1 Like

When my siblings get into it, we duke it out and leave it at that lol. So to me, :woman_shrugging:. It is what it is. Life is too short. But I have cut then off time to time for starting he said she said BS. Because I’m too old to be dealing with it. Positive vibes only. So you need to sit down and think about it. If this is a constant issue, then figure out what you want to do. If it was a one time thing, then forgive her. Everyone makes mistakes.

2 Likes

Healing but be cautious. Don’t fight with her!

I look at it this way she is your sister and who knows what tomorrow will bring you are not always promised another day . I have gotten into plenty of arguments with my brothers and sister but at the end of the day they are my brothers and sisters and I would give anything to talk to my one little brother again who passed two years ago .

Just have a break from each other for a while I’m doing the same with my sister she called me all sorts of names and went for me I know she’s got mental health issues and needed someone to blame but I’m taking a break stepping back her caregivers will look after her. All the best :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t even talk to my sister after what she did to by going to court and saying I’m not fit to have my daughter with me and I still don’t talk to her and I will never forgive her for all the abuse her and her husband did to me.

1 Like

I would have been ticket at the one sister for starting it all by bringing her bf

She does owe you an apology. If it’s truly sincere then maybe you should start again

You owe her nothing. Don’t feel guilted having her around because she’s your sister… These people on here don’t live your life.

I’d be done with her. Life is too short to be sealing with unnecessary drama.

Sometimes sisters are just toxic and you need to get them at arms length. Forgive her if you can find it in your heart to do so, but keep your guard up and lay down some rules. She should never yell at you or try to fight you in front of your daughter no matter what, you both deserve better than that. Remember, you can ALWAYS forgive but you NEVER forget!

1 Like

family is always family, so just let it go forgive and forget

Blood relatives are just that, relatives. Family are those who support you and bring happiness to your presence. Family doesn’t put a child or adult in negative toxic atmospheres. I’d politely tell her no thanks.

4 Likes

She may have just had a bad day an took it out on you. I would say y’all get together an just see what she has to say. she definitely owes you an your daughter an apology though!

She’s shown her true self. Toxic is toxic regardless if they’re “family”

6 Likes

I think that everyone deserves a second chance because we are all human who have good and bad days. However if she’s normally like this, maybe you should trust your gut and keep things the way they are. Was life more stressful with her in it? The more to love your child the better but someone in and out of your life isn’t healthy for anyone.

I agree with cutting off toxic family or friends etc however, I also suggest considering, if you cut them off and they died tomorrow could you live with that choice?

1 Like

Mad because they can’t bring boys? :rofl: How fucking old are these women?!

It sounds like she may have some mental health issues that you unfortunately got caught in the middle of.

She sounds like she may be on drugs. A little paranoid skits or bi polar. That isn’t right

I don’t like it when people say family is above all else. If family isn’t right or safe for your daughter, then that’s not above all else. You can forgive her sure and even have a relationship but at an arm’s length I would

2 Likes

You know you can forgive her for yourself to not hold on to the bad feelings. That also means you don’t have to involve her in your life. She showed you exactly who she is! Don’t try to excuse her just because she’s family. This doesn’t mean wish her ill will for her future either ,but I’d definitely stay away after she went that far with your baby around.

1 Like

Would you ever let a friend do you that way? People don’t get passes just because they are family, toxic is toxic, she literally tried to fight you while your with your child? You should NEVER have to go thru that stuff with family, family should be the only people in your life that doesn’t screw you over so when they do it needs to be taken serious

2 Likes

If she said sorry start by only you adou d her

I would never entertain speaking to that toxic woman again!
I keep my circle small and have no room for nonsense

3 Likes

seriously if she drove up by herself she could bring who ever she wanted she wasn’t in the same car with you get over it.

Anyone that feels comfortable threatening to fight you over a simple issue (that they manifested in their own minds) has no business around you and your children. What if she gets pissed at your child later on and threatens them? What if next time she doesn’t warn you and just assults? Not worth it family or not. Actions have consequences and she will have to live with them. You’re doing the right thing, she deserves no second chance.

**Speaking as someone with mental illnesses and who has terribly bad days that would NEVER threaten someone, let alone family.

1 Like

Just because someone is family doesnt mean they are toxic and no you do not have to forgive her just because shes family

I am sorry. But. Family. Is family. If you cannot do it for yourself. Do it for your mom. She loves all her children. She must be so sad. Be the wise one. .

2 Likes

Toxic is toxic. If you can’t do it for yourself, do it for your child. They don’t need that type of environment

1 Like

I don’t speak to my sister anymore because she’s toxic. Hasn’t hurt me one bit.

2 Likes

Toxic is toxic family or not. You have the family you created to worry about not the family you came from!

2 Likes

Shes family. Arguments over little things shouldn’t be held onto long. If anything ever happened, would you be able to live life knowing you guys ended on a bad note? I say mend the relationship, forgive each other and enjoy the time you guys have together on this earth.

1 Like

Was this the 1st time? If it was I’d forgive her, but talk to her and tell there can be no more incidents like this as it really upset both you and your daughter. Remember just because you forgive her you don’t forget what happened and proceed with caution.

2 Likes

I haven’t spoken to my sister in almost 3 years because she did some shady conniving bullshit with her husband and my husband and I lost about $20k because of them. I’ll never have a relationship with her again.

My family is the definition of toxic. I think that was childish but I wouldn’t keep a grudge. I would forgive my sister (forgiveness makes you have peace also) and like someone said proceed with caution. You can forgive but not forget. She can still be in your life, maybe at a distance. Maybe not all the time. Distance yourself if need be. Love her harder. Pray for her. But life is too short! She’s your SISTER.

3 Likes

Tell her to get help and leave that bs behind.

I’d give a simple 2 word response text back: fuck you. You threaten me and bring drama in the presence of my children? We’re done.

Does she have a history of mental illness of any kind? I would probably forgive her but be very firm in telling her that her behavior was uncalled for , unnecessary,immature and will not be tolerated. If she wants to act foolish do it on her own time in her own world not in front of u or your children .u do not have to have her around just bc she is fam. See what she has to say about her behavior. Ask her if she thinks that she was out of hand. Idk. Good luck.

If it doesn’t feel right then it’s probably not right.

6 Likes

I always judge a situation that I’m struggling with by “would I look back and regret my decision”. If something happened to your sister tomorrow, would you regret the path you chose? If no regrets, then you chose right for you and your famil

To me family is family. She’s your sister and she got mad at that time so just forgive her and let this go :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’d forgive her and just keep my distance. Keep it amicable. Family is family and unless she’s done this before or keeps doing it, I’d just let it go.

2 Likes

Think long and hard before you make a decision. Only you can answer these questions at a gut level. Was this the first time anything like this has happened between you two? Has she ever really hit you before? Or hit you and your daughter saw it? Were you afraid during this? You do not deserve to be intimidated, physically or emotionally abused, hit, kicked or even screamed at especially when you are face to face with her. Other than missing her, how has it felt to be away from that drama? Write how you feel down on paper and read and re-read what you have written. You may find you are better off leaving it as is and not accepting her back in your life and that’s really and truly okay.