Should I kick my daughter out if I think she will cause problems with my husband and I?

“should I make my daughter homeless even though she pays rent and follows my rules because my husband doesn’t like her and we don’t like her boyfriend?” LOL. Let me guess, a few years from now you’ll be on here with a “why doesn’t my daughter let me see my grandkids” type post :clown_face::clown_face::clown_face:

37 Likes

I dont see how who shes seeing is any of your business. Shes an adult. That has nothing to do with you helping YOUR CHILD.

5 Likes

She’d be out on her arse if she was mine.

If she’s married but they are spilt and they just haven’t done the divorce then it’s her choice there not together I’ve known people that have stayed married for years yet dated other people because divorce papers etc are expensive

You can’t control what your daughter does or dates.

And in the end of the day if you wish to have a relationship with her & kids ( if she has any )

Then telling your gown adult child what to do and who they can see and what not is one way to go with not seeing her anymore.

I just turned 24.

1 Like

I would never kick my daughter out…everyone has problems and gets down on their luck at times…she needs help right now…just because shes not doing things that you and your husband approve of doesnt mean its wrong .I agree if she has kids she should be there for them but going out now and then doesnt hurt anything or anyone for that matter…the best thing you can do is stay out of her personal life. If she wants your advice she will ask you for it…if it literally came down to losing my daughter or my husband then sorry but he would have to hit the road. If he would make you choose then why would you even want a man like that…He should support you in trying to make things work with your daughter living there…shes 23 not 14 and even tho shes not perfect she still needs your help right now. .just being there for her right now is the best thing you can do…Good Luck

12 Likes
  1. Of course not she’s your daughter
  2. She’s an adult (blaming her for things she did as a teen is just silly in my opinion)
  3. Her marriage and choices of relationships are none of you business
15 Likes

No if she is following rules of the house cleaning up extra you have no say in who she sees she’s an adult obviously she isn’t with her husband anymore

Umm…its her life. If she isnt causing issues with YOUR life, then leave her alone an let her make her own mistakes. Kicking her out for something that has nothing to,do with you is over the edge here…

1 Like

I could never kick my daughter out w no where to go. You do whatever is best for you but may I suggest talking w her as a friend as she’s an adult? She may surprise you and open up to you & listen as well.
Best wishes.

3 Likes

She’s 23 you can’t control who she goes out with. :joy: Tf? I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t think what she’s doing is right but you can’t control what she’s doing. She’s an adult.

4 Likes

If she is cleaning up and helping out…dont see why she shouldn’t be able to stay. Her life choices on who she dates,etc,is not your concern unless he wants to move in. Leave her alone about her relationships. Seems like a petty reason to think about tossing out family. Only get onto her if stops helping out around the house. Otherwise…her offending your morals isnt a good reason to toss someone with kids out onto the street.

3 Likes

Be there for her :woman_facepalming:t4: sounds like that’s not your daughters dad no wonder why he’s annoyed.

2 Likes

It sounds like everyone in this shituation has some growing up to do here. Hire a therapist to counsel the three of you would be my advice. I know I’d tell my husband to f*** off and my kid to tread carefully because I love her and don’t want her getting hurt; but that’s just me.

A therapist may be a much needed perspective for everyone. Better than coming to fb if ya don’t want the ‘negative’ comments. Most are just sincere attempts at constructive criticism and I’m sure you’ll get it from a therapist for sure. But at least they know what not to do…

Imagine being taken into your parents house when your marriage failed and you had no place to go, only to be kicked out cause dad hated her YEARS AGO and mom n pop don’t like her boyfriend😭 whack.
I’m glad my mom isn’t like that. A parents love should be unconditional. Shouldn’t you ask your husband why he doesn’t (or never did?) like her? Yikes.

14 Likes

Absolutely then she will move in with said mom and that will really teach her!

1 Like

Kids are resilient, and sometimes stubborn/determined. She will figure it out and return to you stronger than you could ever imagine!

2 Likes

Idk she’s an adult making adult choices. I think the only thing you have any authority of is making sure she don’t bring this guy home. The rest is her circus.

5 Likes

My mom chose her relationship over me as a teenager too…
And I made the same mistakes as your 23 yr old daughter… looking for love in all the wrong places because I was starved of the attention I needed as a child.
Do yourself (and her) a favor… Choose HER over everything. Later is better than never.

21 Likes

I’d never kick my daughter or grandkids out and maybe her marriage was so bad and she felt alone and she needed a friend, I’m sure her husband is dating too

3 Likes

Where is she going too go? Straight into living with her new bf? If that is the only issue, at least be there for her. I mean how many more chances will you get in her adult life too be needed by her? Don’t ruin it. Especially over a guy she’s talking too bc she trusted you her mom.

4 Likes

So you basically want to kick your daughter out because your husband doesn’t want her there and y’all are mad that she has a boyfriend?:thinking: I mean she’s grown. You really can’t stop her from seeing this man. Just tell her you don’t want him in your home until she gets a divorce. :woman_shrugging:t4: But seriously, it sounds like y’all are looking for ANY excuse to kick her out. Hey go ahead and kick her out because your husband doesn’t want her there. I guess it won’t bother you if your daughter decides that she doesn’t want you in her life anymore. :woman_shrugging:t4:

8 Likes

So one she is a adult she can see amd sleep with whoeber she wants. 2 as long as she ia obeying your rules it shouldnt be a problem 3. Why is yoir husband angry with her over normal ahit she did aa a teenager and 4 why the hell is this even a question you should never put an above yoir kid husband or not

5 Likes

Jesus. Just delete this whole post and rethink your relationship with your daughter.

8 Likes

I would never kick any of my children out on the street for ANY man, husband or not. There was probably an issue with the way she was raised to have behaved that way as a teenager, and now as an adult. Look in the mirror before you judge her choices. Unreal

4 Likes

Daughter comes first imo not your husband. And if she has a boyfriend while still married that’s her business, Jumping her ass and trying to control the situation isn’t going to change anything.

Don’t be mad when your own daughter resents you for the next 10 years lol BEEN there

4 Likes

Your role as a mother doesn’t end when your child turns 18. It’s a lifetime commitment as a mother/parent, it sad that some mother are having this kind of thoughts of kicking or cutting their childrens out of their life just because of some issues.

4 Likes

Who she sleeps with and spends her time with is none of your business. At the end of the day she is your daughter and needs your support. Especially if she’s paying rent and following house rules I don’t see the problem.

5 Likes

I’m married and have a boyfriend. I’m not with my husband and it’s none of my parents business who I see. She pays you rent as agreed, you can’t evict her. She’s an adult. Y’all need to get over yourselves. Most you can say is no overnight guests. Period

3 Likes

You kick her out and she’s gonna move in with that new dude because she has no other choice

2 Likes

When this lady gets old and is needing someone to live with because she doesn’t want to goto a retirement home it’s not gonna be this daughter lol hopefully she has other kids :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s your home set boundaries, timelines , rules, help her get counseling & find resources. Help her become a strong woman :pray:

2 Likes

Support her, through it all. She is struggling and seeking affection elsewhere, that’s normal. Put your morals aside and be there for her, don’t kick her while she is already down.

2 Likes

You’re a terrible mother, support your children in their decisions even if you don’t agree the girl isn’t robbing houses or doing drugs she simply fell out of love with a man and found a new one as an adult you should know divorces are not cheap, you’re choosing your husband over your child for things she did as a child that’s a pretty garbage thing to do if you ask me but hey what do I know ? Just the outside eye looking in

5 Likes

I’m not a mom, but I would never chose my spouse over my child whom I gave life to.

9 Likes

I’m sorry but she’s paying rent, cleaning up after herself, and because she’s dating someone and you don’t agree with it then you’re considering kicking her out? I’m sorry but that is controlling and manipulative behavior. Your daughter is 23 years old and an adult and who she dates or does not date is no longer your business. You’re welcome to say he’s not welcome at the house but anything other than that is wayyyy out of bounds.

7 Likes

If she can’t afford to live on her own, maybe she needs another job. Sometimes a grown child needs some tough love.

2 Likes

Who your daughter sleeps with is none of your business she’s paying rent that does not give you the right to control her life regardless if you agree with her choices or not plus it’s only been 2 weeks what kind of mother does this ?

Kick her out your house your sanctuary

2 Likes

I had to move out my son because it was causing problems found him an apartment made sure the rent was paid and it was sometimes you just have to be tough love you can’t let them walk all over you because they will if she needs to be able to stand on her own two feet and she can’t do that you can help her but don’t enable her make sure your grandchildren are taking care of and the rest is up to her she’s got to learn to stand on her own two feet all my children had to ain’t easy but that’s life life is not easy there’s places that you can get help basically I had to kick my son out because my husband didn’t want him here but I made sure he had a place to live he had food did what I did he wasn’t out of my life and now he thinks me because now he stands on his own two feet God bless you and I hope you come to the right conclusions

1 Like

Love your daughter. Do not try to control her every action. If she’s paying rent, and following normal rules, let her be.

4 Likes

What I take from your post is she is willing to pay rent and she is not causing problems like when she was a teen you two are just too concerned with her personal life. If she is living by your house rules, not causing problems and paying you than her personal life in none of your business. She may be at home for now but she is an adult.

7 Likes

If she’s in a rough place then the last thing you should do is kick her out especially with the Covid stuff. She clearly needs you or she wouldn’t have come back HOME! Let the past go. And lastly maybe her coming home was a result of an issue in her marriage. Divorce can be expensive and nasty. Maybe she doesn’t know what she wants and is figuring it out. Let her make her own choices and maybe mistakes. Let her decide that. Your children should come first no matter their age. As for your husband it’s the role that is taken when someone has children.

4 Likes

Yes, your house your rules. She is 23 years old time for her to grow up and be an adult. You are being her enabler. Yes she is your daughter but she has zero respect for you or her husband and you have small children yet.

2 Likes

Speaking from experience as a daughter whos parent always was in my marriage and busniess even when we separated, telling me what I should do with the belonging we had together and wanting me to just work and come home, also getting into all of our disputes as a couple…I was a grown adult. Everytime I would get nailed by them for everything they thought I was doing wrong in my life did nothing but push me far away. After a young marriage at age 18 and a easy divorce bc it literally lasted not even a year lol I am now 31 with 2 girls and I have been married for 6 years. We have 2 more years of mortgage and our house will be totally ours, we own our cars and have good jobs. I am not saying this to brag by any means I am telling you this because she will eventually work it all out and be on the right track, maybe not on your time but on hers. Dont kick her out. Give her advice and just hope she makes the right decision. If not she will fall and get back up again and learn from that mistake. Dont push her too far away because that is exhausting and 23 yr old is although an adult, very young to be divorcing just like I was. Let her have fun and be young. An early marriage takes that “fun” away from you bc you do nothing but work and come home, trying to adult and now she wants to experience life and having fun.

3 Likes

She is a grown woman and can see who she wants and when she wants. And there is not a man on this earth that would ever come before my kids!!!
Just my opinion

7 Likes

She’s 23 and paying rent? You’re her landlord lol

6 Likes

23 is extremely young their brains aren’t all the way developed they just think they’re grown she is still a baby give her some time I have a 24-year-old and a 20-year-old I know & she’s going to make mistakes this isn’t the 50s where you waited until you were actually divorced to start sleeping with somebody else or dating somebody else that’s actually normal her marriage didn’t work out she’s not cheating if she’s paying rent and abiding by most rules cut her some slack your husband needs to be more supportive don’t you dare kick your daughter And your grandchildren out on the street over a man if he loves you he will grin and bear it’s for better or for worse it’s a package deal‼️

7 Likes

I mean she’s your child… you don’t stop being her mother when she turns 18. She technically can do whatever she wants tho she’s a grown woman. I would never be able to throw my own child and grand kids out because I dont agree with her grown woman choices that she’ll eventually learn was right or wrong for her…

4 Likes

Never choose a man over your kids!!! Thats your daughter, Yes you might not agree with all her decisions but you clearly know she can’t afford to be on her own Then why put her thru a bigger struggle? If you her Mother kicks her out, then Whos she supposed to ask for help? And the main reason is your husband don’t like her?? Men come n go, but your children will always be your children. Be a good mother looks like you n your daughter lack alot of communication, you never know what tomorrow holds… Talk to your daughter and set rules give her advice if things don’t work out then at least you tried helping her, but Don’t just kick her out because your husband said! What kind of person are you putting men before your daughter specially when you know she needs your help.

5 Likes

Personally id rather kick my husband out over one of my children. I think your daughter is old enough to pick who she dates.

7 Likes

Nobody knows the circumstances that are really going on only what you put out there so I’m hoping that you’re not a bad mother which I presume you’re not people got to learn you know we’re not all going to be around forever you can’t control everything that’s why I had to move my son out and he was much happier when I did and made him snap that I couldn’t take care of him forever and now he stands on his own two feet and has his own home which is paid for everybody’s got to learn I’m 66 years old I’ve raised eight children they’re all doing good and I’ve had to do some tough love

1 Like

I really hope this is a joke. No rude comments? You are basically saying you are wanting to choose your husband over your child, But you dont know if its the right thing to do?
So, Heres where i see the issues, Your husband knows you have a kid. He should respect that, How would he feel if it was his kid and grandchildren who you wanted to kick out knowing they didnt have any where eles to go? She is a grown women, If she wants to sleep with every tom dick and harry thats her business not yours. Plenty of men and women have been with someone eles or dated someone eles before they were divorced, As long as she is not physicaly seeing her husband in that way, then no there shouldnt be any type of issue, But then agian it not yours nor yours husband issue on who your daughter dates, You are saying that this man isnt a good choice in men, But you are wanting to kick her out? Where do you think shes gonna go? Straight to the man you dont think is a good choice. You are going to push your daughter completley away from you. She will always be your child, no matter if shes 10 years old or 50 years old. SHE IS YOUR DAUGHTER, But if you are worried your daughter is going to cause issues with your marrige, Then you need to reevaluate your marriage and relize who the real issue is. Im trying to be as nice as possible. But coming from a child whose mother done the same exact thing to me, Stop while you are head.

Yeahhhhhh. No way in hell would I choose my husband over my daughter. If she is paying rent and cleaning up after herself, what she does with her personal life is none of your business. Maybe try talking to her about it…asking her why she feels like she needs to find affection from someone else. Coach her through it. Don’t judge her

18 Likes

is your husband her dad?
sounds like you choose him when she was a teenager and choosing him again when she has problems.
Sounds like she has some unresolved childhood problems that may ( or may not) be the reason for her marriage problems.

15 Likes

Please, help her get into low income housing. Give her that time, and your guidance to do it. (Ask at social services what they can do for her.) There are programs in place to help single parents. She will be forced to grow up for her kids. It will be in her best interest. It will also positively impact your relationship in the long run. (I ran to my mom from an abuser, with a 15 month old and 5 months pregnant. Before my baby was born, I had an apartment and a job. My work ethic secured my job while I took my leave. I grew into management quickly, and moved out of low income housing within 2 1/2 years. It helped me to get my feet on the ground.)

1 Like

I think you helping her get back on her feet after a failed marriage is noble. If she is following your house rules and paying rent I don’t see an issue. Her relationship issues are not really yours to delegate. Continue to support her emotionally and let her be.

6 Likes

You can set rules in your house (rent, housework, even curfew) If she doesn’t follow the rules then you can kick her out. However you can’t run her life. Im not saying I agree with her choices. They are her choices though. Young adults make bad choices. Are you going to give her the message that a choice you or your husband don’t agree with means you stop loving her? Or that your husband’s personal beliefs come before your flesh & blood? That’s what you’re telling her if you leave her homeless because she’s not living the way you want her to. My children come before anyone else. If your husband truly can’t live in the same house as her then HE can leave. I couldn’t put a man above my child.

1 Like

I wudnt kick her out my kids come before any man and anyone I wud talk talk to her she came home to you for a reason help her dont just kick her out

2 Likes

Took me over 5 years to get divorced after ending my relationship with my ex-husband. If I had waited until we were divorced to see anyone else, I would not have ended up with the amazing man I’ve been with for 12 years now (twice as long as I was with my ex) who treats me a million times better than my ex ever pretended to.

Why should she wait until they are divorced? If she’s done with the previous relationship, then she’s done with it. She can move on as she pleases, that’s her perogative.

She is not required to live her life according to YOUR preferred timeline, nor is she obligated to only date men YOU like. Doesn’t matter if she’s living with you or not, her love life is 100% her own business and her choice, and it’s 0% your business and your choice. She’s an adult. Doesn’t matter if she’s your child, she is grown and responsible for her own love life.

The fact you feel a need to try to control that aspect of her life suggests you may be in need of some therapy. :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Let that woman do her, you don’t know what she’s going through or what she needs to adjust to her new reality, if she pays bills and respects your house, who she’s seeing isn’t any of you or your husband’s concern. This is another phase of you got to go through to grow. You telling her don’t mean a thing she will find out for herself, just be there to support her if it goes bad be damned what my husband thinks. My child will be my child until I die, as long as she doesn’t disrespect our home let her go through it

So she has to abide by your rules and allow you to make choices for her? Nah you are over stepping
Your house your rules sure
But she has a right to her choices and if you dangle a home over her head that could have a possibility fo backfire
My min tried it with me and it only hurt her

2 Likes

I believe you should side with your husband. She’s grown, not like she’s a child. If she’s under yalls roof, she has to follow your and your husbands rules. You’re not necessarily siding with your husband, it’s her that refuses to follow the rules (again) :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I mean honestly it’s not anyone else’s business if she’s cheating BUT you have every right to have peace in your home. You have the right to ask her to leave as a grown adult if her lifestyle is ruining the peace in your home

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you’re trying really hard to make yourself the victim in a situation where you’re not…
See above comment about choosing your husband over your daughter and your grandchildren.

4 Likes

I ain’t throwing my child who can’t afford to live if u left her.
If my mom did that I’m not talking with her again lol. Give her time to find a good way of income and move out when she’s ready.
He might go tomorrow but your child will be yours even if u decided to disown her.
Her dating life is for her to decide you can nicely advice tho.

2 Likes

No way would i kick my kids out on the streets i dont care if the 23 or 40 but id def lay some rules down

7 Likes

From what im reading it sounds like you and your husband are the problems. And dangling a home in front of her and your grandkids only bc you disagree with her choices will hurt yalls relationship…i mean that would be grounds for you will never see me or your grandkids again. I mean its dating not drugs(which then id understand).

5 Likes

Sounds like your husband isn’t even very fond of your daughter… I’m not sure I could personally be with someone like THAT.

5 Likes

I’m sure she didn’t like your choice of men either yet she didn’t have a say. She’s a adult you don’t get a say who she dates or who she sleeps with. Stop being a control freak. Let your kid stay and put your daughter before your husband. You sound like a horrible mom who hasn’t put your daughter before men. You can say don’t bring the guy here but what she does with her love life you have no say in. Read a parenting book and a self help book and learn how to be a better parent to ALL your kids.

6 Likes

My opinion? They’re legal when 18 but your gonna be her mom forever. When she needs help your gonna throw her away? Because of a man? Your gonna accept your man saying bullshit about your daughter? At least talk to her nicely about moving out and give her time to find a place to move out. I think it’s human decency.

It’s your house. But if she’s paying rent then it’s kind of hers to.

She’s an adult and her love life unfortunately isn’t your business but your home and house boundaries are.

And I’m a Christian saying this.

I know it’s hard to watch the ones you love choose destructive things. You can give a ear but the do this or else this is a parenting tactic for children… she’s a married adult.

4 Likes

You, your husband and your sister need to put all your cards on the table and talk things out. Tell her the situation and give her the rules, if she doesn’t respect your rules, let her know you will be forced to have her leave. But first like I said, talk it out and try to get a fresh restart.

1 Like

She’s paying rent? How do you have any say in what she’s doing with her adult life if she’s paying rent? That makes no sense. And you’re comparing her teenage years to her adult years? I’m sure she’s grown up. This is ridiculous. AND she has children? My mind is blown you’re even considering it. I think the real issue is the husband.

5 Likes

No way would a man come before my child (their daddy or not) for one, and two you can not like her choices in her dating/sex life but you cannot control that. It’s going to push her away and make her resent you especially if you openly choose your husband over someone you created and gave birth to…

As a mother , your job is to love and support your daughter.
Your flesh and blood.
Not to pass judgement on what she chooses to do and whether her choices are good or poor ones , IN YOUR OPINION.

5 Likes

As a mom always support your daughter.

8 Likes

Let a girl rebound in peace

12 Likes

It seems like you and your husband are the problem… I mean you don’t agree on who she is seeing, she’s old enough to make that choice on her own, without y’all approval. And if he’s that bad, let her figure that out on her own, if she’s a good kid, she will. Besides, she’s your child, support her and her choices and be there for her when she needs. If she needs a home because she can’t afford to live on her own, support her and guide her to help her be able to one day be able to afford that place on her own.

Kicking her out? I’m my opinion, worst Choice ever. If she were on drugs, that’s a little different.

13 Likes

Your house your rules…simple as that. Either she follows or she can find somewhere else to go. She needs to make her own choices yes but also needs to feel the consequences that follow her action…good or bad.

4 Likes

So your care and help for your daughter is only on the condition that she lives how you approve? Yikes sounds like she’d be better off in a shelter.

8 Likes

She’s 23, she’s not a kid you can tell what to do. both you and your husband need to understand that. If she’s paying you rent and following (reasonable) rules, it’s not fair for you to kick her out. she’s basically a roommate at this point. her personal life, really isnt your business. imo.

8 Likes

Maybe shes going thru something, if shes got mental issues tossing her out wont help either of you… why not see about getting her into a dr or hospital that can help her condition?

2 Likes

She’s 23 I get it it’s your house but she’s an adult and good decision or bad you should always stand by her
I’m 31 and my dad kicked me and my 2 kids out because I didn’t get along with his wife and all it did was make me hate him and want Nothing to do with him
I’m not trying to be rude at all but your daughter should come first and if your husband doesn’t accept that than maybe that’s a bigger problem she has no means to take care of herself how could you even consider leaving your daughter on the streets

Admins approved this just to watch OP get dragged.

9 Likes

So are there any legit issues? Disapproval of relationship isn’t in issue unless the person is legit abusing them. Who she sees is none of your business.

3 Likes

You act like she’s not human. Quit holding her to such high standards and just love her. That’s all a child ever wants is just love. She came to YOU meaning YOU’RE her safe place. Don’t f it up because she’s not turning out how you wanted her to. Life will teach her but she can’t do it alone. Don’t be that person.

14 Likes

You absolutely should not kick her out. But if you do give her a set time and for goodness sake don’t charge her any rent so she can actually save up. If she has already paid you rent , before you kick her out, give the money back to her. I honestly don’t understand mothers like you. My oldest is 18 and my husband and I are helping put her through college. She’s “grown” in the eyes of some of these people in the other comments. SHE IS STILL MY CHILD who needs a support system and as much help as I can give her so she can succeed! Try understanding what she is going through and be there for her.

6 Likes

Yes, you have a right to lay down rules and expect them to be followed! It is also your choice if you want to continue to help support your child or not as she, in your opinion spirals down another bad path…. Your child is young and has the rest of her life to live, she is also an adult with adults responsibilities she needs to tend to, not you! You and your husband basically don’t need to financially support your daughter or any of her bad habits or growing up pains again! Go a head and get on with your lives and let her lead her own the way she sees fit! A lot of older adults bust their butts to try and help their kids and grandkids through these hard times… and all it gets mom and pop is financial struggles, stress, worry’s and disrespected! Keep hubby happy!

1 Like

You can’t STOP her from making bad choices but you don’t have to allow her to bring new boyfriend home . Its your him one as well as your husband so make decisions that are best for the CHILDREN not the adults . YOUR grand babies must be your first consideration . If their mommy doesn’t want to pull her weight financially and physically as she should in taking care of her children then kick her out until she gets back on square one …but keep the baby’s .

3 Likes

She is an adult. Who she is seeing is none of your business. She is paying you rent. She is your tenant. You have no more rights to her life than any other landlord.

7 Likes

It really seems like your husband is the problem
Ask yourself this would he do the same to his kids or is it just because she’s not his
She will hate you Mark my words I was in the very same situation and wound up in a hotel with my 2 kids

7 Likes

If she’s following your rules inside of you’re home let her make her choices . It’s literally her life and if she’s SEPARATED and her husband is doing what ? I think it’s fair she can do what she wants in that department no one has any say so . As long as she’s laying her part cleaning after herself and not bringing any REAL issues into the home what’s the problem with helping your child ? I’m 25 just had to live with my mother for two months until I got into my new home with my man and our three kids and I cleaned non stop always cooked for everyone took care of her animals all day while she worked and she still complained and yelled and fought with us and would let us know she never wanted “anyone” in her home . That was such a shitty feeling don’t make your daughter feel that way too

Sounds to me like she needs to find elsewhere to go. And not because who she’s seeing, but because of the fact that she is being told how to live her life at 23. If she is respectful of your home and such, then her personal life isn’t any of your business. Poor kid is dealing with the fact her marriage failed and you aren’t making it any easier on her. :confused:

14 Likes

Maybe a sit down with her and your husband (assuming he’s not her father since he seems to have such bad juju against her)

No matter how old she is still your daughter first and foremost…

A sit down to discuss things may help some…
Maybe she’s needing help in other parts in her life and throwing her out “because of your husband” is just not a good cause
Unless your husband has a thing for her then maybe you should throw him out…

Help your daughter

See what the root of her issues and problems are make her set goals to be better….

2 Likes

Why do you think you should be able to dictate who she sees? She isn’t 16 anymore

6 Likes
  1. There is no reason to want your child to remain faithful to a marriage that is ending.
  2. My parents did this to me and I wound up in two garbage relationships in a row that sucked 9 years out of my life while I just tried to survive.
  3. If you charge her rent, why do you expect her to behave like a minor living under your thumb?
12 Likes

I’d say, it’s your house- your rules. It sounds like you allowed her to stay with you because she was experiencing marital problems and I’m guessing you and your husband want to be able to help support her while she works on her marriage. It also sounds like there needs to be rules and expectations (boundaries) in place for your daughter while she is in your home, especially in light of the fact that you have younger children living with you. If your daughter isn’t going to abide by the rules/ boundaries and do the work that is expected of her to either reconcile with her husband or divorce and eventually move out and get her own place, then yes, she needs to be kicked out. She is not a teenager. She is an adult(-a guest in her family’s house. She needs to show some respect to her parents-)It’s about time she starts acting like one.

6 Likes

I think it may be that your husband is putting you under pressure because it’s not his daughter and he doesn’t have the emotional bond. Is your husband normally a very reasonable person.? And exactly what problems is your daughter causing? You can’t choose her relationships.

5 Likes

My daughter was the same way she would in my house there was me my son my daughter-in-law four children in my house so my daughter would come to my house and stay sometimes with her daughter cuz she didn’t have nowhere to live she’d run up all the bills in the house she had a little bit of food stamps for food but she ate more than what she got she took baths all day two or three times she gave her daughter bath washing her clothes would not wash a dish that she used it all or help clean up the house and that’s all we asked if it was to do that and she is supposed to pay a fourth of The Beatles I think it was something I said well when she moved in it she didn’t have no money because she spent it on The boy she’s living with bills so it come down to just a few days before she would get her SSI check and he would come and get her every time then what happens he ain’t going to let her pay bills she ain’t going to pay bills she’s got to use it for him so I know a lot about this this is happened to me a bunch of times she don’t follow the rules then she can go is all I say