Thoughts on child leashes?

My daughter (3 yrs) is pretty good about staying on my side if I have to let go of her hand but my 18 month old son is GONE. I bought two of them in the past for them that look like cute backpack stuffed animals. IMO it’s your own business if you want to use a leash, no one else’s. If his family or anyone wants to chase him everywhere then tell them to go for it and unleash him. If they don’t want to chase him around and give you that “it’s your child” crap then tell them it’s your business if you have him on a leash or not. Your husband also failed majorly when he let his family bully you.

I rather have a safe child than a missing child

4 Likes

Ain’t no one helping me run either :joy::joy::running_man: leashes are super! I make my own for comforts sake!

I was on a Backpack leash as a child because I would RUN, and I mean EVERYWHERE! I still remember my mom having to pick me up at the service center at Walmart in the 90’s -several times! There is no shame, you are protecting your child, especially as a pregnant mother! They weren’t a thing in 2014, and I had my youngest that year- I wish they were for what I know now when he got to the running stage… Were the ones judging offering to watch the child 24/7? If not, they need to sit down and mind their own!

3 Likes

would of saved harambe​:woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I put one on my 2 year old in public places so he couldn’t be snatch up by a predator, we live in a crazy world

1 Like

I dont personally don’t agree with it however my kids where not runners It don’t matter what anyone option is you where doing what you thought was best for YOUR child and his safely. If they don’t like it to bad for them either. Help out or mind your business

2 Likes

Um anyone who has a problem with it obviously has never had a child who bolts! I used it with both my kids as they were both runners and would bolt into traffic so it literally saved their life! I say use it if you want and don’t worry about what people say. Having them on a leash is better than having them dead or snatched! It only takes a second for a tragedy to happen. Plus all the people judging you for using it would be the same people judging you if something bad happened.

5 Likes

It’s the “made me take it off” for me …
I would have been like. Ok well your chasing him then … if not he’s staying right where he is… the nerve of some people i tell ya…

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t like them. I would have had words with them for not helping you out, though!

I felt the same way with my first two girls. But they never really ran or got out of hand. So I never really thought about getting one and thought it was weird. But my son is wild, and my mother in law bought us one. And it’s amazing!! We definitely got alot of stares, but it kept him safe and that’s all that matters!

I would have put it back on and the next person to say anything is responsible for chasing him down.
Do not feel bad.
What is the father doing? Oh my heaven.

2 Likes

So sorry that happened. Your child, your rules! Your child’s safety comes 1st. Don’t let anybody bully you into having their way. The harness can save his life. Stay true to yourself and your rules.

3 Likes

The strap is for his safety not for their opinion.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of them but also not my kid and the child isn’t in danger so not my business… sorry they gave you such a hard time for doing what feels right for you.

I don’t wanna cause you added anxiety or anything but I recently saw a story where a man heard the same things from people and he quit using it . Then his child was kidnapped . It’s a horrible story but I say it’s your child and your decision. Stand up for yourself and don’t let people bully you into changing what you do as a mother . Your next child is coming and it’ll only get worse if you don’t . Do what you need to do to protect and take care of your babies . I see mom’s as warriors . So be a warrior! If you need extra support there are people who will help strengthen you .

2 Likes

I put one on my child 45 years ago. When you. Love your children you try to keep them safe.

3 Likes

Whos vagina did the kid come out of? Yours right, so your decision. Also, as a paramedic, I appreciate you keeping your child safe. That kid is obviously very loved by you. Everyone else can kiss your butt.

They’re amazing! I always swore “I’d never” and even after my first born I still didn’t think highly of them. Then comes my second. A wildly unpredictable and very fast and curious lil thing. When we went to the Grand Canyon I got one and also contemplated duct tape as a second precaution. Now I learned not to judge parents that use them. Kids are wild!

1 Like

Screw them! You do what’s best for your child. They don’t like it then forget them and leave. I hate when people say that. The protection of the child is more important than them “looking like a dog”

I always thought leashes were cruel until I had my third child, which is also my 3rd son. He is a child that doesn’t stop moving. He’s fast and hard to manage. He will be 3 next month. It’s given me peace of mind. He is a runner and likes to be independent. He has so much energy he doesn’t even like to sit in strollers and can run circles around his 5.5 year old brother. I’ve received lots of compliments on it, and few stares. We’ve been using it about a months now and my son actually enjoys it.

1 Like

My youngest had to be leashed because she was a runner. I didn’t care what anyone said. My daughter stayed safe.

1 Like

I feel like the ones that go around both mommy and kiddos wrists are cool. That way it’s less “leash” like and more “we’re literally attached, I dare you to run now” :joy: I used something similar taking my son hiking when he was little cause he had zero fears of cliffs, we ended up using it a bunch to help pull him up steeper hills along the trails lol

1 Like

I used to simply ask “are you going to help run after him and make sure he doesn’t go on the street?” If they say no or they can help but not the whole time then they get the gif of it and don’t say dumb things. Literally random people might say something. But if you answer their question with a question then it gets to the point faster and they end up just shutting up. Your responsibility is your children. Nobody will take care of your children better than you. If you have a great support system around you and you trust them then by all means ask for help. Remember that nobody will help you if you don’t ask for help.

1 Like

I love them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: best invention since sliced bread lol before I had kids I used to judge but if they don’t want him on a leash they can chase him round for the day lol

I would of told them to shove it!If they don’t plan on helping you keep him from running off they really don’t have any room to say anything.

I dont like them, but this world is so Evil, and getting worst, I would rethink that decision, I rather have that on my child, than let a crazy person to get my child!

Personally to each their own but to others it may appear as wrong. I’ve never heard of a child leash but you sound like a super mama and I just can’t judge you on this one. It’s all personal opinion and situational. You need more support I feel/help, a break.

I’ve never used them, but our five kids were never runners. I’d rather see a child wearing one, rather than darting between cars in the grocery store parking lot. Do what’s best for your family. Your child, your rules.

3 Likes

I agree on child leashes. I personally never bought one for my child when he was a toddler because I was put down by my ex in-laws for even thinking about it. When my first born was a toddler (and just recently diagnosed with ADHD), I became pregnant with his brother when he was only a year old - he was hell to chase after. If a child is a runner and likes to play the “hide and go seek” game in crowded places, a child leash can be a lifesaver - not only to keep the child safe from harm and ease the parent’s mind(s), but to keep them from getting potentially abducted as well.

3 Likes

Your husband and his family need to step up for you! Love yourself enough to demand they help. He made your kids too!

7 Likes

I would’ve just left tbh. If they can’t respect how you parent then they don’t deserve your time. We’re taking my daughter to the zoo and aquarium soon and you can bet money I’ll have her on a backpack leash. She bolts and I’m also heavily pregnant.

5 Likes

I used one with my first cause he’s a runner and I would’ve told whoever said something that maybe if you had help watching him so you could rest you wouldn’t have minded.

If it keeps your kids safe then thats what matters. My first two weren’t runners. My third was. She got a leash and actually loved it because she loved playing dog :rofl: Dont let others guilt or pressure you into raising YOUR kid THEIR way.

3 Likes

If your kid is a runner - DO IT! Who cares what anyone else thinks, as long as your child is safe

4 Likes

I am pro whatever it takes to keep your child safe from harm. My nephew was a runner and had the cutest monkey backpack leash lol

nothing wrong with it its a safety net for your child and helps u 2 out of 3 of my girls had them first one was optional we told her this she was good otherwise it was in busy public places my 2nd a runner and among other things kept them at hand my 3rd didnt have or use one she always held our hands and still does at almost 10 years old.

1 Like

Oh HELL naw. Made me take it off. No ma’am. That’s your child. I would’ve said, “ok. But you’re chasing him. Otherwise it’s staying on. Period”.
And if they don’t like it, don’t go to these functions. I had 5 small boys at the same time. We used backpack leashes and it was a saving grace.

5 Likes

I put my dogs on leashes to keep them safe. I don’t love my dogs more than my kids. If it keeps them safe, screw what anyone else thinks. Tell them that they can run after him if it bothers them so much. Otherwise they can stfu and get over it. I’d rather leash my kid than join the search party looking for them

To each their own! Some kids are very unruly and if that keeps them safe then so be it

Do you momma .I’m sorry you went through that . I of coarse assume father was a better runner?

I used them esp in public! Don’t feel bad I would’ve said okay he’s all yours the sec you take that off him.

1 Like

I used 1 but we are hikers and always went to state parks and places with dangerous cliffs and stuff. Think i used it at the zoo as well

1 Like

I personally do not believe in leashes, but I am not 38 weeks pregnant chasing a 3 year-old, if they were not going to assist you there opinions were unnecessary. You raise your child by your rules or lack of rules(do whatever you want(within reason, don’t beat or abuse the child).

2 Likes

Personally not a fan but I would never judge someone else for using them appropriately. If they made you take it off him, they should of been helping you with him. Otherwise I would of told them to mind their own business. Your child, your rules! End of story.

1 Like

I have 6 children and mine were on leashes!!! When you are tending to YOUR children you DO AS YOU see fit!!! Tell them if they are willing to chase him then you’ll take it off but if not the leash stays on. Believe me they will shut tf up real quick😂

1 Like

I wish I had one at the zoo when my kid was younger. She ran off so damn fast and almost jumped in with the seals. Next time tell your husband then step it up and help and maybe you wouldn’t have to and to shove it. Start speaking up.

They’re good when it comes to safety. People snatch kids and disappear and you’re a great mother for wanting your child to be safe. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Being very pregnant is stressful enough. I don’t blame you at all for wanting to keep track of your little one. It’s also super crappy of your husband to not help you at all or get you anything to eat. I’d be side eying him hardcore :unamused:.

Do it! It’s safer than having him hit by a car or something like that! I had one of three that I had to leash!

2 Likes

My mom used to connect a leash to the clothes line and to my younger brother’s belt loop on his jeans. He could run up and down but NOT away or into the street. Do what you have to, it is your child, after all!

6 Likes

Pro leash. I had them for my kids and they kept them safe. They’re now an adult and 2 teenagers lol…all bolters as little ones.

1 Like

They should mind their business I had it on my kids when they we’re little

I had a runner. Saved her life at the state fair one time. Lol. You do you!

3 Likes

Care about you and your children and what you believe is safe. Their opinions should not change what you feel is right. Yes some children need and some do not. All children are different!! And at that stage of pregnancy they should be ashamed of themselves, ESPECIALLY Daddy… just wow…

It’s not their choice. If you feel safer with your 3 year old on a leash than do so. My eldest daughter was on a leash for a few years until she learned not to run off and she would if we didn’t have the leash for her. She would bolt the first second she got. She is 6 now and knows not to bolt off anywhere.

I had one for my daughter. I think I used it once, at a zoo. It’s a safety thing. If they didn’t carry them inside for 9 months, labor with them for days, and birth them, then they get no say. You do what you feel is best for your child(ren)! They could have easily stepped up and offered support, but instead it sounds like all they did was bash you. That’s extremely uncool.

1 Like

My son is a pretty good listener but when we take him to big places where he will be on foot for certain amounts of time (like Disneyland/Disney World for example) we took a child leash with us. Our sons safety matters more than what someone thinks of me using it. I’m so sorry they made you feel bad on top of not helping you.

5 Likes

When we went into a large crowd an Ashleigh Chapman was young she had one.

He is your child, Do what you want to do. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks :grin:

1 Like

My son had his 23rd bday today. I broke out the leash when he was 2 because I had to run him down to save him from being hit by a car when he was running away from me in a grocery store parking lot. Your child’s safety is paramount. Safe bet that anyone judging you isn’t there helping you💜

6 Likes

Were they volunteering to tend your child? Probably not, so do as you see safest for you and your child.

1 Like

I used one because we had been in a car accident and I couldn’t pick my son up for long and couldn’t run after him. He refused to stay in the stroller. The leash gave him some freedom but I could real him in. I would never have given in and taken it off. My kid, my decision, his safety is more important. I used one that attached to his wrist. I never saw a back pack one until later. I like the back pack ones better. found people either thought it was a great idea or I was a horrible mom. I will also say, if you go to Disney world you see a lot of kids on leashes. So stick to your guns and keep your child safe.

2 Likes

Do what works for your family. I used it on one of my sons while he was a toddler when we went to crowded places. If it gives you peace of mind do it!!!

1 Like

I’ve seen too many surveillance videos where kids are snatched the moment the parent turns their head. And too many kids have gotten lost in crowded places. I will never judge someone for using them in reasonable situations.

3 Likes

Tell them to either chase him for you, or shut the hell up and mind their own business. :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

4 Likes

Say no to leashes! Where was your husband? We had 2 kids and went to public parks, family get togethers, etc, and didn’t a problem with them running off. When I was pregnant with our 2nd and we were both at the function, our son was in a stroller or my husband was pitching in. Ours weren’t perfect, but they weren’t allowed to be runners.

8 Likes

I had them
My kids had them
And so did my grandkids

3 Likes

Mine is 5 we still use one and if someone don’t like it they can kiss off cuz I would rather my kid be safe and with me then care what others think

1 Like

I normally don’t go for the leashes, but I will say I don’t bash or judge parents who do use them… if the other family members had a problem with it they should have taken the time out to help you so you could take a break.

As a momma. Who has had her child DIP OFF. In stores. And in public places. Ive felt the panic first hand of not being able to find my 2 and a half year old. My daughter gives no fucks. She will run off. The first time i literally took my eyes off her in the store to look at a measuring cup to make sure it was a 2 cup one. Looked up and bam she was gone. She was clear in the back with the electronics. I have recently bought one that comes with 2 diff types of vests and they lock and the leash locks and it comes with hand links. Because the first time she undid the clip. And i said hell no. Best 20 dollars i ever spent. Dont let anyone shame you. I give no fucks what ANYONE has to say. And i will defend my choices hole heartedly. As you should to. put them in their place. And if they arent willing to help. F them.

You should have told them unless they were going take care of him and chase him… it stays on… :neutral_face:
And to be quit honest I’m not big on them BUT hey I’m even NOT BIGGER on chasing kids :running_woman:t2::man_running:t2::man_running:t2::man_running:t2:around a park. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy::laughing::rofl:
You can’t relax in public anymore…so I completely understand and besides even if I didn’t… it doesn’t matter… it’s your sanity and then you said you’re pregnant on top of that… do it makes you feel safe. 

1 Like

ironically i feel like some kids are free and have a better time on a restraint? because it actually means your child can move around and expore safely without adults holding onto them or stressing them out to stay right next to you?
i think there is a balance of using them in high stress situations and not using them when its easier to use voice direction etc.
at a family event where you don’t feel supported and feel everyone is going to help you watch your child then i under stand you using it at a famiky outdoor event

Good safety plan, Mom!

1 Like

Keeping your kids safe is important. Who cares what people think

3 Likes

Yeah sorry “fuck his family”!! That simple and “fuck him” if he gonna allow them to parent his kid!! Sorry but not sorry

There’s not one single thing wrong with a safety leash!
My second born was a runner, and she’s only 2 years older than my 3rd.
There was no way I could have chased her and kept my baby safe, too.
I used the leash, and she loved it.
It gave her the freedom to walk around, and gave me my sanity back.

3 Likes

I’m all about child leashes. I don’t give a flying flip what people think about me, because I know it makes my child safer :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My grandson had one n it kept him with us n safe

My thoughts of they are a runner and could potentially get hurt then do it. Doesn’t matter what people think only thing that matters is that child’s safety don’t let anyone judge you on keeping your child safe

1 Like

I rather a child be safe on a leash, than them to jet off and be dead on a street or kidnapped

2 Likes

My thought on leashes for kids: No way

My thought on this situation: also no way. Your kid. You do what you want.

I am 39 weeks pregnant with a 2 year old that loves to try to run into traffic because she thinks it’s hilarious when we chase her for her own life. :roll_eyes: A backpack harness is a MUST with me because I can’t even walk currently let alone run. That is YOUR child not theirs and I would totally lose my mind on them if they attempted to tell me what to do with MY child.

Also doesn’t matter what others opinions are of the harness, it’s none of their business either.

5 Likes

I’d make him wear two just to piss the heck out of the in laws…

I think it is safe and a great way to keep track of your little one.

4 Likes

Where was your husband to defend you? I’m a mean person when people judge so I would’ve told them to shut up :joy:

1 Like

Do whatever your children need to keep them safe mama :purple_heart:

3 Likes

I never used them for mine, but there are some kids who just need them. My niece should have had one lol. But seriously, do what YOU feel is necessary. The fact that you didn’t eat anything and you’re 38 weeks along makes me sad. They need to mind their own, or they can be the ones to chase your son.

3 Likes

I would much rather keep my child safe than have them run off into traffic, get lost or kidnapped.

My eldest has ADHD, ODD, OCD and most times no filter on safety at all.
The only way to prevent her from hurting herself, was to have her backpack on her that had a ‘leash’. This way, I knew where she was at all times.

Not using one simply due to the opinion of others, isn’t worth your child’s safety.

I had one person say something about treating my child like a dog.
My reply “don’t worry, I’ve brought a poo bag and water… she will be fine”

Screw the haters! Your child’s safety always comes first :relaxed:

3 Likes

I don’t let anyone else tell me how to parent. Child harnesses are for safety, not because you’re treating them like an animal. My now 6 year old son would have ended up in the middle of the road if it weren’t for his harness, he was just too fast for me and didn’t like to hold hands. People who judge have never experienced a child that is a runner.

7 Likes

I used a backpack animal one when my daughter was little. I’d do it again, kids are wild and adventurous. There’s nothing wrong with trying to keep them safe, my daughter loved hers… I’d let her put snacks inside her animal zip up and her fav toy. Became like a habit for her, she’d remind me to get her animal back pack. She decided to take off running at the zoo, into traffic. If it wouldn’t have been on her, who knows if I would have been able to run as quick as she did to the road? It’s safety for you and your child.

5 Likes

If they aren’t going to watch and chase after him then they need to sit down and be quiet

10 Likes

If it keeps the Runner from running, go for it. :woman_shrugging:
Unless they’ll chase your child, tell them to mond their business. It’s not illegal, it’s so he doesn’t get hurt.

7 Likes

I hated them but now my youngest is my boy and he’s a runner and I can barely keep up with him with my medical condition so really thinking Bout getting one tbh :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

Also this situation is poooop. Your child, your say not anyone else’s.

1 Like

Use it!
I don’t understand the hate for them. It’s not a dog leash around their neck. Most times it’s a backpack with a harness attached or goes on their wrist.
The idea of my child running off or getting snatched would drown out any voices telling me not to use a harness to protect them.
I had to use one in my last trimester of pregnancy because my toddler was moving too fast for me to keep up in public spaces. At the end of the day, if something happens to your child it won’t affect the naysayers. Their life goes on, yours will stop. Do what you need to do to keep your kid safe.

7 Likes

When military tranferred my Dad to Germany, leaving me, a preteen, and my 3 yr old brother with my Mom to get us safely to Germany by herself, she used a lease onmy youn brother. Made the trip alot safer and easier for all of us. Definitely a time and place for these things

3 Likes

put on a harness and leash, the safety of the child is your concern and not theirs.

5 Likes

U should’ve just left your husband could’ve found his own way home.

1 Like

If they told you to take it off they should’ve at least helped you. So fkn annoying

3 Likes

I would have left. No one should make you feel bad for that. You were doing what’s best for you and your child.

3 Likes

I mean as long as it’s not connected to a collar around your kid’s neck then I don’t see a problem with it. Kids are freaking fast and I would rather have them on a “leash” than being hit by a car.

4 Likes