What age would you allow your daughter to dye her hair?

That’s a good age. It’s just hair momma. It grows back, colors wash/fade out.
It’s a good way to start exploring & expressing their own personality as well, which is a good skill to build up from an early age anyways. Let her dye it :slight_smile:

Just buy color strip hair for kids. Its a bereat. And 7 is to young to start dyeing her hair. Then after an hour she will take bereat out and forget all about it. Til the next color strip hair like purple. Then do the same thing…

10, is the first time I dyed her hair. We had went out and originally bought her a bunny from a shytty pet shop which was sick and it had died a week later… so we go back they give us another again it dies bc it was another sick one. So I said no more bunnies what do you want… she said pink hair…lol i said ok I can deal with dying pink hair over dying bunnies anyday… as for the pet store they have been caught up in a neglect and hoarding and selling animals too young with our county animal control and have been served with fines and possible jailtime.

When she hits puberty

Hair is just hair. My mother didn’t let me do anything to my hair until I was over 16, which was absolutely ridiculous so all 4 of my children have know from a fairly young age that they can have fun with their hair. Having said that, I also wouldn’t spend a fortune on their hair so if they ever choose to do something it has to be within reason price wise. My daughter didn’t want to do anything with hers u til she was about 12 and it was just the ends dyed purple. My boys haven’t shown an interest in anything but spray colors.

Whatever you are comfortable with. Doesnt matter what other people think. You could dye just a chunk of hair underneath or the whole thing or none at all.

I’d say while shes young and it doesnt affect much. At an older age a lot of jobs dont allow it.
Just make sure you have a professional does it so shes knowledgeable about how to care for it so her hair doesnt get ruined in the long run

1 Like

It’s hair. Let her do it. It will grow out. Let her Express herself.

I’ve done my sons hair blue and red, he was five and six. Its self expression and harmless in my opinion :woman_shrugging:t2:

I say let her dye her hair. It grows back. I know that if my mom would’ve told me no I would’ve resented her for it because hair and style are the only things children have control over. Let her be herself. Don’t stunt the growth of her personality and who she is.

You can buy color pomade now. Washes right out. 7 is to young to dye impo

When she can pay for it herself. Except for prom I did pay for the highlights she wanted but she really didn’t get into changing her hair color or big thing she loved make up😂

I waited til she was 11 and we did just the tips Then at 14 dyed full head She already said no more for a while cuz she feels the difference in her hair and missses her old hair

It’s just hair. But do what you feel is comfortable and right for your family. Maybe start with a small strip in her hair.

Call me old fashion but girls try to grow up too fast today & want all the trends that they see. I would have them wait till their teen years, at least 14, 15. Same for a touch of makeup.

1 Like

12 or possibly when she gets her period. Maybe

I started at 8 I’m 31 and my hair still healthy and I’ve had every color let her be her it’s just hair. Just try to get the dye without the hard chemicals

1 Like

I’m a stylist, but still I waited after years of my daughter asking (she started asking real young) and finally did a small color job on her for the summer (she’s 8yo). She loved it but realized it wasn’t as huge a deal as she thought. Also, she hated the time it took :laughing:. It’s like she just needed to get it out of her system. It’s just hair, I say start with something small (accent highlights) just a few foils may be all she need.

I say let her be 7.5 and wait in the blonde hair color when she is older. I actually think 14 years old would be suitable for that. You also need a professional hairstylist to do this. I feel maybe this would give her a goal to set and she can achieve that goal by saving her allowance or teach her how to earn it. I don’t see anything wrong with streak of her being colored with a washable children’s hair color. Her hair is still maturing, why ruin her healthy hair, especially at a young age? This only my opinion. I respect whatever you decide because you are the parent. Just because I wouldn’t do this does not mean that’s what I expect from you. Sometimes, as a parent you just simply have to say no and explain why. We as parents are not required to give our children everything they want or ask for. I also don’t think hair and makeup should matter when it comes to a 7.5 year old. When my daughter was that age and went with me to get my hair colored she would always say, and momma when I’m a big girl I can get mine done to? I would then say yes, when you are a bigger girl. That was it and we carried on. I do remember putting kook aid on some small strips of her hair. This was also most 21 years ago and things have changed since then.

Depends how thick or thin her hair is dying usually damages the hair
So if ur gonna dye it make sure to backup her hair with lots of vitamine after that

18 years old…and she would have to pay for it out of her money.
Why ruin her hair at such a young age. But clip in color strands until she is 18.

Dyeing her hair now could burn her scalp and do permanent damage, leading to possible bald spots. Sally beauty and Amazon both carry clip in , colored hair. If you get her a selection of colors she can change it whenever she wants to ( like to match her clothes or school colors, Christmas, Hanukkah, et c.)

During the summer once school let’s out i let my son pick a hair color and we dye his hair, hes 9 and we’ve done it for the past 4 years

Why not try the washable ones for now. Mofajang is a decent hair wax color that washes out.

Leave it for as long as you can… The upkeep is expensive!!! :tired_face:

I definitely wouldn’t use bleach ,could ruin her hair ,also if you’re unsure of doing it she’ll be disappointed with the results …try hair chalks I think 7 is a little young …your child your choice

Mine are 13 & 14, and have been dying their hair since about 7 or 8. My youngest will just shave hers off on occasion and let it grow back natural and recovered. It’s just hair. I say let them have fun. My kids are well behaved, if that’s the most they do, I’ll support it.

My friend let her 6 year old daughter dye her bangs. :woman_shrugging:t2: you are the parent…

Bleach isn’t going to ruin her hair. If she wants to do it, I would get it done professionally. My daughters 14 and we’ve done her hair so many times. It’s literally just hair. It will grow back.

Hahaha. No. No you may not color your hair until you are old enough to drive a car. That was my rule. That being said, there are plenty of clip in hair extensions…have at it.

We ended up spending over $500.00 on the 13 year old on a dye job and then having it redone she is blonde but wanted a lighter shade.first hair dresser created a disaster then it had to be fixed at a different shop.she has waist length hair and now wants to cut it short but I am stalling. Lol if your little one will use hair chalk,try it first .
Good Luck Mom
Girls want all the girly things(nail polish,nail,makeup,dye job) much earlier now

I have my daughter highlights in her dark hair at 7 it wasn’t a drastic change but enough where she loved it and said she had “new hair”

Bleaching damages hair… to start bleaching so early (more than highlights) will ruin her hair.

1 Like

I let my son bleach and dye his hair blue for the summer. He is 10…

Whenever she is ready. If that’s what she wants then let her

My daughter has used temporary things from about age 6 and on. She isnt allowed to bleach until shes much older. She has medium brown hair. We recently found that punky color works well in her hair although the blue hasnt washed out like the other colors…

1 Like

I wouldnt bleach it. :grimacing: but maybe offer a different color that will suit her better without the bleach. I personally don’t think she is to young to dye kt but bleaching can really mess your hair up and is a lot of maintenance which I do think she is too young for. But i don’t know her either. Do what you think is right though. My girl is 2 and we use hair chalk all the time. When she gets older I’ll u see the Arctic fox dye that is semi permanent.

My daughter is 12 I brought her to get highlights underneath she loves it. And depending on how it’s styled can be hidden.

7 is way too young and I’m sure the money you would be spending to color her hair could be better used elsewhere.

1 Like

9 or 10. Now I will say we never, and still wont let them bleach their hair, at home. Take her to a salon.

My daughter was 5, my sisters a hair dresser so she did the temporary even at age 8 my daughter just got real highlights.

Color fades and hair grows back as long as you aren’t burning your child’s scalp then age don’t matter.

Koolaid changes hair color even dark hair

I was 13 when my mom let me hi-light my hair for the first time, they were blonde highlights on my black hair. I hated it lol I would go lighter slowly so she can find a tone she likes not what she thinks she likes :blush: plus it’ll keep her hair from frying

Just remember she has virgin hair and at that age the hair could not take or could just burn and fall out. It’s a risk.

1 Like

My daughter was 3 when i first put temporary color in her hair :woman_shrugging:t2: she did it again when she was 4. It’s just hair. I wouldn’t bleach it that young but there’s not really an issue with dying it if you are safe about it

1 Like

it’s your child I wouldn’t be asking others for their opinions :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I was in 10th grade when my mom allowed me to dye my hair… But as a mom I dyed both my girls hair and they are 8 and 4

When she has a job and can buy her own mistakes

2 Likes

I think it depends on the child. If you have a good kid that does well in school, and this is something she really wants I would reward her with it. If she isn’t so easy and misbehaves a lot, I would tell her that she can get it done once she starts behaving better, just like any toy. Reward good behavior. It is just hair, after all.

1 Like

My daughter got her hair dyed joico magenta for her 3rd bday and my son went blue at 5.

I would not let her at my cost. She would have to be able to pay for it her self.

1 Like

Go to Common Panda they have products that wash out in one wash. The lighter colors show up better in dark hair and the darker colors show up better in light hair

I use manic panic in my 4 year old … it’s currently red and showed up really well on her brown hair

She is 7 yrs old for gods sake ,let children b children,they grow up fast enough,child should still b playing with her barbies not getting her hair dyed

4 Likes

Some of these comments :roll_eyes: Girl, this is YOUR child. YOU make those decisions. Don’t let anyone tell you how to parent.

1 Like

Ultimately she’s your daughter but I would say she is extremely young to make that choice I would tell her when you turn 13 you couldn’t bleach dye your hair whatever color you want but until then you ain’t doing nothing with it

I let my daughter dye her hair at 12. She had been asking me for a few years before. I held off,I was worried about what damage it could cause to her hair. So when she turned 12. We bleached it. And dyed it purple. And yes you have to bleach it first in order for the color to show. My daughter has black hair as well.

When they are old enough to maintain it.

There’s no way to take dark to any shade of blonde without bleaching which is pretty damaging to the hair and really hard to grow out once you decide you don’t want it anymore.
When my daughter turned 10 I let her get some peekaboo streaks/chunks. It was a good compromise because it’s hidden by the rest of her hair but shows they when she moves.

No she needs to wait hair dye has chemical that can affect her hormones her personality you are not suppose to dye hair when you are pregnant it is irresponsible to allow her to do this

1 Like

I wouldn’t bleach it that young or use anything other than a temporary dye.

You can use a little lemon juice with blow dryer to give a sun kiss lightening affect

1 Like

It’s your child, but I wasn’t allowed to until I was 13, I think that’s a fair age🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m a hairdresser so I’ve been dying my kids’ hair since they were like… 8. As long as they can sit still we do it.

Totally up to you…my mom started letting me when I was like 10 I wanted lighter hair and then later some purple…but if you’re doing it yourself let her know you might not get results you want…mine always turned out more orange then I wanted til I was older and new some tricks like really really saturate the hair with bleaching stuff do roots last and put plastic bag on head to hold more heat will lighten better…watch videos…

It’s only hair. At a really young age I would not want to be using bleach but there are lots of other alternatives. We used chalk colourings and I took her to the hairdresser and had little pink hair extension pieces put in that lasted six weeks. She loved it!

My daughter is 8 and we put bright pink streaks in her hair this past summer (also blue ones in her 10 year old brother’s hair).

13 for us but if that’s what you are ok with go for it.

I would wait just simply if y’all accidentally fryed her hair with the bleach could she handle a shaved head/ pixy cuts because her hair was snapping off every time she touched it, now I would let her dip die the ends that way if she doesn’t like it she doesn’t have to wait weeks with a hair color she doesn’t like

Whenever, Just make sure it’s more professional than a 10$ box dye so her hair doesn’t fry as much lol

1 Like

Dying is one thing but PLEASE don’t bleach that baby’s hair. It’ll start the process of ruining it for life.

1 Like

My daughter is 13 and I only let her use the wash out kind

My momma wouldn’t let me do anything to my hair until I turned 18 and got a job and paid for it myself. :joy:

I have done extension pieces for my kids before. One has REALLY dark hair so nothing would show up but doing extensions is a good compromise because using real hair ones you can change the color multiple times

2 Likes

Try overtone, it’s temporary but works on dark hair. As for age it’s just hair.

1 Like

Never. Just not healthy

1 Like

There are colored hair clip pieces she would have fun with. Also lots of spray in colors that wash out that are less harmful. Let her have fun with these first. Maybe 12 years old for a permanent color, but I’m no professional.

1 Like

My daughter had her hair bleached and dyed the first time when she was 7 or 8 years old. I went to school for cosmetology and know how to keep bleach off of her scalp. She had teal and pink hair and loved it. We got it to a very light blond and she kept it for about 6 months. Her cheer team needed it to go back to a natural color, so we matched it back to her natural color after most of the teal&o ink washed out. I don’t see what the problem is? It didn’t hurt her at all, it made her happy and it looked so adorable! She got tons of compliments on it and of course some dirty looks and comments from some the judge mental women at cheer but didn’t let it bother us.

2 Likes

I think she’s a bit young in terms of chemical exposure and also socially. Compromise with clip in coloured hair maybe at that age.

She is way too young to color her hair. If she was meant to have blonde hair she would have been born with it

I wouldn’t let her bleach her hair. It could totally kill her hair and ruin it. If she really wants it a different color I’d get a safe temporary hair color spray. But I’d definitely just teach her to love her hair the way it is.

It’s really popular to let kids dye their hair right now. I get that they are stuck in the house and they need something to do, but I do not agree with it. I see these young girls with dyed hair and I hate it. My daughter is 10 and all her friend have blue, red, green or even highlights. I am teaching my daughter to love her natural beauty. She has to love herself the way she is and the way God made her.

3 Likes

When my daughter was 2 (blondy) wouldn’t let me do her hair pink. She is now 5 and still won’t let me :sweat_smile:
I have black/brown hair so I understand where your daughter is coming from.

They make a temporary hair color wax that will show over dark hair. It washes out but you should not allow bleaching or lightening its so damaging

So long as she can do it by herself, it’s all her. I’ll make sure she doesn’t chemically peel her scalp, though.

When I was your daughter’s age she used to use that sun spray to lighten it some. I couldn’t have highlights until 13 then in high school I could actually dye my whole head

My youngest is 6, I let her do temporary color. My oldest has been for about 3 years. She’s 9 now. She also has dark hair. We just pick darker colors. I’m not ready to hurt her hair with bleach.

Never. My hair was blonde as kid. My mother said never touch well it turned brown after having my twins it went blonde again. Glad I listened

1 Like

I worry less about the damage to the hair and more about the damage caused by a 7yr old brunette wanting to be blonde. Unless it’s because she wants to be Cinderella or something silly like that…I wonder why she’d already be wanting to alter her natural appearance, her natural beauty. Girls already grow up too fast these days. Keep their innocence!

5 Likes

I’ve told my daughter she can maybe have some lighter foils when she’s a Teenager.
Only because bleach is so damaging to the hair.
Just my opinion, others may be ok with it.

2 Likes

Every summer I allow my girls to do what they want nothing dramatic that way if they make a bad decision it will be normal or fixed before school starts back! It’s only hair! It’s one thing that can give a girl confidence and can have control over! A smile is worth it all for them to have something they like! Just my opinion so please no rude comments!

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t mind if my now 9 year asked for colors in her hair, BUT it will only be temporary colors at this age for her. Hair waxes, colored hair spray, etc. Things that wash off. I think decisions like that is to the comfort of the child’s parents. Not a right or wrong age, just how you want to deal with your kids.

My daughter was 6 i believe. We added red to the bottom of her hair before she had surgery, to have something fun to focus on. Shes 12 now and its been a few different fun by now. She just knows that if it gets damaged, we’re going to cut it.

Also, id recommend using a blonde box dye to lighten her hair. It so much less harsh then bleach

I’d say let her go for it, but if using bleach, have a pro do it. I have 9 grandchildren & a couple of them went through a stage of piercings, tats, and coloring hair. They out grew it when they became young adults. I’m 78

I have kind of a different take on this. It stemmed from all the 18 year olds getting tattoos on their birthday. Tats, piercings, hair dying all cost $ and we paid for a lot. When she covered all of her expenses and had discretionary income, she could do whatever she wanted. She is now 28, was gainfully employed prior to Covid (event industry), finished with college and owns her own home. She has 4 piercings all on her earlobes or upper ear and a tiny tat on the inside of her wrist that is meaningful to her. It worked for us as she understood what we were trying to teach her.

They shouldn’t have any bleach, perm, or permanent color until 12. This was my mom’s rule but our stylist also said it’s about hair maturity too. My stepdaughters had their hair bleached as small children and their hair still struggles in adulthood.

If you decide to allow it, take her to a REAL hair stylist, not Supercuts or Fantastic Sam’s type chain store. It will cost around $150-$200, but they know how to mix the chemicals so it won’t burn her hair. Good luck.

My daughter was about 11 when she wanted to do something colorful to her hair so we did bleach underneath with a color so she just had that under layer of color and the tips because I know from experience when the roots start growing out with a full head of color it’s a pain and does not look good once you start dyeing the roots there’s almost no turning back because it looks terrible when they grow out

My mother never allowed me to color my hair. I did not start till I was in my late 20s. My son wanted to color his at 17. That’s fine… he really did not ask for permission first but I didn’t care. My stepdaughters have been coloring their hair since about 14 or 15.