What causes irregular periods?

Lots of stuff from stress to diet changes to medical issues to menopause.

Why all these kinds of questions on this page now???

You should speak with a medical professional just to be safe.

Endometriosis maybe???

I have polyps and fibroids

That just happens when you cycle…

I’ve always been pretty regular and started a week early this cycle…

I had fibroid,early menopause
Very painful periods

I had my tubes tied & clipped 7 months ago. It looks like a murder scene down there every month since! And the pain!!! I suggest speaking to your doctor. I’m currently living off painkillers…

Almost anything can cause irregular periods… seek medical advise

Keep in mind what you think is irregular just might end up be normal for you. When doctors say irregular periods they are talking about period that they miss for months, get it 2 days stop for a week get it back an so forth. That is how the doc explained it to me. Mine was done in 2005 and 5 years later I bleed for months. Found out I had PCOS. Period is my normal and I don’t take nothing. So if it bothers you get with your doctor

Is this s Drs group?

11 Likes

Bodies change, i wouldnt worry unless really heavy or you have pain. Or it lasts longer than 10 days.

Have you had the c0vid vakseen or been in close contact with someone who has? There have been many, many reports of women’s periods that have gone weird because of that

6 Likes

Have your thyroid levels checked. Levels being off affect many things in the body

1 Like

Sterilised 7 years ago, about 2 years ago my periods became horrendous, followed by pain and irregular bleeding, got check out and had pre cancerous cells 18 months before smear was due… go get checked!

Lots of things, body weight and hormonal imbalance to name a couple.

Stress, menopause, hormonal imbalance, certain medications… Many things can make your periods irregular.
If you’re concerned about it, you should probably speak to your doctor :slight_smile:

Getting your tubes tied messes up your cycles. They don’t tell you that until after tho

3 Likes

an iud is not sterilization

4 Likes

When did this page become a forum for birth control, menstruation, pregnancy, fertility questions?? WTF!!

1 Like

Use a period after every sentence and use a comma in the middle of the sentence. Then you have period comma period comma. Then you won’t be irregular!!

5 Likes

Go see a gynaecologist and not use Facebook for medical advice.
If I didn’t do what I had too I’d be most likely worse off rather than on the mend.

Just getting older causes changes. There is so much crap on the Internet that people get all alarmed about things that are natural. I remember asking my doctor does my wonky cycle mean I’m going into menopause and she said if you go a year without a period that’s when you’re in menopause. I got one six months after that and I was so disappointed! Lol.

Weight gain, weight loss, stress, diet, cysts, endometriosis.

Wait untill you hit menopause lol I bleed for 28 days straight had to have a d+c!! Cramps from hell,never had cramps in my life!! Good luck on your journey,what we woman have to go threw🤣

Some times periods fluctuate cycles, are you working or around other women, cycles seem to sync after being close for some reason. Diet, stress, thyroid issues could also cause this.

It’s actually a thing happening right now to 1000s of woman. Hmmm

1 Like

So many things can cause it. You need to see your doctor.

After I got the clips I went from every 30 days to 24 days.

Mine were messed up until I got it all out at 48. If it’s an option now, do it if your comfortable with it.
Best of luck💝

I had a tubal ligation during the c-section with my youngest daughter in 2013. Before that, my periods were 3-4 days, light, minimal cramping, no clotting. After. They progressively got worse, lasting anywhere from 7-15 days with severe bleeding, cramping, clotting and whole body aches. I spoke with my GYN and was requesting a hysterectomy. During my pap, unrelated to the tubal and related issue, she found cervical cancer, so treatment delayed a hysterectomy, but at the time of my surgery, she inserted an IUD. I had some sort of bleeding/discharge for 73 days straight after, but that was from the surgery. Once that stopped, I haven’t had a period at all and the only thing that I get is some mild cramping and tender breasts around the time that my period should start each month but it doesn’t last more than a day. I know that I’m not the only one that has had issues like that. Please, speak to your doctor.

I had my tubes completely removed almost 10 years ago and my periods got so much lighter and last 2-3 days.

Could be PTLS. Pretty common and it’s something I think a lot of doctors don’t mention.

Clips are not a permanent solution to birth control. They can come undone as well as your body can actually heal from things like that. The only permanent solution is hysterectomy.

I haven’t had my period since March 19 and I’ve taken pregnancy tests all negative :joy::woman_shrugging:t4:

Mine were like that. Also very painful. The dr ended up giving me a hysterectomy 11 yrs ago.

Can be alot of things usually it’s the simplest answer stress. Stress is usually what makes your period out of whack. It could be hormone levels. I’d speak to my obgyn. Right now I have mine I have gotten it every 2 weeks for 2 months now. If it goes to a 3rd month that’s when I contact my obgyn

Take a pregnancy test

1 Like

Stress, not ovulating.

1 Like

Did you change elevation a lot when you went on vacation? A big change in elevation will make you start when your not supposed to or not have a period when you are supposed to. Not personally experienced, but a lot of my friends have said this

I’m 21 3 kids and this exact thing happens to me and I got diagnosed with pcos!

Definitely sounds like PCOS

1 Like

I have endometriosis that caused mine.
Stress can cause it too.

2 Likes

Around the same age this happened to me. My dr.put me on meds to “jump start” me. Just beware, they made me CRAZY. Good luck. Hope you get it figured out!

Have you taken the covid shot? Many women have had menstrual issues after receiving them…

4 Likes

My periods are really irregular too. Found out I have endometriosis

Might be endometriosis

I have pcos and have problems with my periods I used to have really bad periods and now they are backwards or I’ll go a long time without one them it decides to surprise me

My problem is Menorrghia, had it for yrs heavy blood clot cycles on & off for months! Cycles now after so many yrs cycles come every month still heavy w/blood clots! But only last no more than 2 weekshuge improvement! I have a 28 yr old & a 5 yr old! Menorrghia bites! Takes over ones life!

I have Hashimotos and periods were very irregular. Same 40 to 59 days apart and on medication. The doctor told me I was in normal range… problem with that normal range can be 1.0 to like 4.0… I was 2.4 couldn’t get pregnant. Got my doctor to agree to up medication and see if my level went down and they did 1.2 got pregnant the next month. 3 years later basically same thing couldn’t get pregnant again level in the 3s up dose got to 1.4 got pregnant 2 months later… my point is normal range mean nothing if you don’t know what normal
For you body mine is 1.4 ish someone else maybe 3.5. If you are having symptoms such as irregular period you are most likely not on your body’s normal range. Talk to your endocrinologist about symptoms see what your range(levels) you were before each pregnancy that my help… if you had the condition before pregnancy.

1 Like

I had the SAME thing happen to me. I have three kids and no period for around 60 days before I saw my doctor. We also want one more before I’m 30. Did an ultrasound and they diagnosed me with PCOS. Said I’ve probably had t for years but it’s just now really rearing it’s head. When you finally get it, I would ask about if it could be PCOS. I’m on a medication I take for 10 days to restart my period. She said I will more than likely be able to still conceive naturally. Best of luck to you :heart:

Why do yall comment before you read the entire post? Yall look dumb

1 Like

Depending on whether you’re hyper or hypo with your thyroid issues you can skip periods or they can vary in length by obscene amounts.

I have a hyperactive thyroid sometimes my cycles can vary between 45 days one cycle and 14 days the next.

1 Like

Babe you really need to see a gyno, I have had my thyroid removed and I’m on meds now but one issue with thyroid issues it can cause early dementia and early menopause. Because your levels sound well managed it’s probably unlikely that’s the case, but a gyno would be best to investigate…

My period will come almost like clock work for 3 to 4 months every 28 to 30 days then I’ll go to 35 days then bam 45+ days then right back to 28 to 30. Thats my regular nowadays. Been that way since my late 20’s

If you have put on weight it can happen I went six months with out them then they started again you should see a doctor but just to be safe

Mine have never been regular my whole life since the age of 8. Docs say hormones are most likely the issue because i don’t have anything else wrong.
But everyone is different and if you are truly concerned please go see your doctor.

May have fibroids. Sometimes you start late and other times you bleed heavy for month. Need to get a check up

1 Like

I have pcos . I have periods every 45 days . When I ovulate the day after my period that I won’t have again for 45 days which is roughly 6 weeks I still didn’t get a positive until 8 weeks pregnant .

Have you ever been on the depo shot I know after I got off of it, it messed my periods up for years after I got off of it, took it forever to get regulated!

quarantine is messing up our cycles. I had one period on Jan 1 then my next one started May 1. My daughter had the same issue

Give your body time to heal at this point. Even tho u had a great time on vacation doesn’t mean your body wasn’t stressed out n if it’s stressed out your period will be late. You could’ve texted too early also since your periods are irregular anyways. Just try relaxing.

Thyroids can cause them to be irregular

I missed mine when I was 18 for 3 months…I had a cyst a really big one i would get checked out…I thought I was pregnant back then…

Thyroid disorders can cause periods to be out of whack alone. However at one of my daughters endocrinology appts the dr said she might have PCOS since thyroid issues and PCOS go together and she was having menstrual problems.

Make sure you tell your doctor and get examined

Do you see an endocrinologist for your thyroid? Endocrinologists are the hormone doctors. Get checked for PCOS.

I find a new doc my doc office can get me in for same day appointments

1 Like

Weight gain or loss, stress, all different things cause me to be irregular

Combined with sore breasts sounds like pregnancy

I would say Maybie pcos but I’m not to sure just go doctors when you can x

Are u up to date on your pap?

Pcos? I have that and went 24 weeks without a period before :flushed: no bc or anything … if your unsure defo keep calling the doctor until u get an appt x

When I found out I was pregnant I had every symptom of my period without the bleeding I was atleast 3 weeks late and I tested positive and was 8 weeks when I found out.

PCOS or early endometriosis

Have you asked about PCOS?

If you are hypothyroid, that’s probably the cause. When not on BC I have like 3 periods a year. Did blood work once at my Gyno, and my prolactin was elevated and I was pregnant or breast feeding. The elevated prolactin was due to my hypothyroidism

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What causes irregular periods? - Mamas Uncut

If you are losing blood this much then get your iron levels checked. Could be thyroid doing this

1 Like

I did that and they put me on meds to stop it and to regulate it. I thought I was going to bleed to death. I can’t remember the medicine name is been 20 plus years ago. Mine was cause by cyst on my ovaries

Transmadiec acid stops it

Go to a different doctor and have them do test.

3 Likes

This was me a couple years ago, I got a iud, turns out 3 years later it was placed wrong, has it removed can’t take anything else due to a blood clot once. Been tracking since last October Oct. 18 to Oct. 30

Nov.15 to Nov. 28

Dec. 12 to Dec. 23

Jan. 15 to Jan. 26

Feb. 25 to March 7

March 27 to April 7

Nothing in April

May 4 to May 7 light
May 8 to. May 15 Super heavy (a pad every 20 minutes)
May 16 & May 17 light brown

June 1 to June 3 light
June 4 to Super heavy (a pad every 20 minutes)

Finally having a full hysterectomy end of July

I have PCOS and had similar problems. Birth control actually made it worst for me. I ended up making an endocrinologist / gynecologist appt (she specializes in both, specifically i think it’s women’s health / infertility / endocrinology). She put me on progesterone for 10 days a month every month and it legit fixed the problems I’ve been struggling with since I was 16. I’m 36 now.

1 Like

How old are you? Could be peri menopause, if you are finished having children talk to your dr about a uterine ablation, best thing I ever did for myself!! Have now bled since I had mine!

3 Likes

I actually went to ER because I have been bleeding for months. They gave me medication but the bleeding hasn’t stopped. Although I am spotting. I would recommend just going to the ER my doctor was useless in helping me.

2 Likes

I had this issue and it was a fibroid. I got a hysterectomy 2 months later. The only thing that stopped the bleeding was norethidrone, something like that name. A week after my prescription ended I’d be bleeding again. Ask the dr for an ultrasound to check for fibroids.

This happened to me since I was 13… periods lasted 3 weeks at times until I got on the pill… turns out I have pcos.

Happened to me after my 3rd, dr put me on high doses of birth control and it stopped. Definitely recommend going and getting seen.

I bleed more on birth control. I would go back to the gyno

I’ve suffered with pcos for years ever since I can remember to be honest. It’s hard. They should be doing a variety of tests such as your thyroid a CA125 which can indicate cancer or endometrial issues or just reproductive issues. They need to check your estrogen and testosterone levels as well just to rule out any imbalances. If its hurting and you’re bleeding this much you can always ask for an ultrasound as well…with that it should be able to look at your fallopian tubes and can detect any masses that may be on the tissues of your cervix. But absolutely get an ultrasound done

1 Like

I’m on birth control atm and they also put me on metformin. You could also ask for a hysterosalpinography which looks at your endometrial tissues mainly if the problem keeps occurring

Very irresponsible of the doctor to not do testing but diagnose you. You need to find a doctor that will actually do testing.

4 Likes

Shes right the last doctor I seen was a pompous asshole and threw out everything I wanted to do like it didnt matter. I changed doctors haha

Endometriosis caused mine

And if you’re bleeding that much I would honestly stop taking your birth control it may be adding extra hormones which boosting your endometrium to shed more than it should. Kinda like when a pregnant woman is given oxytocin to induce contractions.

1 Like

I would find a new Dr…

My sister had big cyst on her ovaries n they had to do surgery … She bleed for few months . be for they found it