What should I do about my son dating an older woman?

Well I think that too much age difference but if he is happy and it is a safe relationship then just support him

6 Likes

The age difference is definitely a concern. But he is 18 so unfortunately you don’t have any say in the matter. As a parent you can voice your concerns (depending on the relationship you have with your son) but I would list it as a concern instead of accusations and demands. Those do not go well and can drive him away.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have a problem with a age difference if he wasn’t just legal :flushed: this just seems creepy a few yrs is ok . I was 24 and my husband 19 when we got together. But this age gap :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I’m 33 and my husband 27 I joke and say I’m a cougar but apparently not :rofl::rofl:
Unfortunately hun he’s 18 and there’s nothing you can do

1 Like

I’d be having a talk with her. Chances are they’ve been messing around since before he turned 18.

Talk about a predator…EW!!

3 Likes

What’s wrong with her that men her age don’t want her? He’s fresh out of high school personally at 25 I don’t get it. What does a child have to offer. Nothing.

1 Like

Uh? Sounds like he’s being groomed…

2 Likes

Sometimes you just have to let them live and learn. common sense is gained through experience. You lack common sense from lack of experience or by repeating the same mistakes over and over. Just have to hope for the best, whatever outcome that is.

1 Like

40 year olds sexually preying on people half their age is WRONG. If this was a daughter we were talking about you would not have even asked us… you would have known.

I’m not real sure what you can do about it but I wouldn’t be ok with it either

I mean you can be unhappy about it all you want but fact is, he’s technically an adult and can therefore make his own choices.

So now you have two choices.

You can be supportive of him and let him forge his own path while knowing his loving, supportive mother is behind him all the way regardless of what happens.

Or you can be vocal about your dissent and possibly breed discontent.

Choice is yours when it comes to how you deal with it but just think about how your actions might influence him.

4 Likes

Voice your concern is all you really can do. It isn’t your decision and trying to change his mind you will only push him away. Let it ride it’s course.

1 Like

There is nothing you can do since he is 18 my brother started dating. 34 year old when he was only 17 my mom tried to stop it because he was underage but because he was only a few months from his birthday she couldn’t. Sadly the lady was only looking for a babysitter with benefits. She had him living at home with her taking care of her 3 kids while she was out dating someone else she later married so be careful

2 Likes

Y’all the kid is of legal age. I was with a man for a bit older than my father…. 20 years older than me. And we were inseparable until I lost interest. As someone before said, just let it ride and watch for warning signs to step in if needed.

There’s an 18yr difference between me and my husband… we’ve been married 7 years and have 3 kids. I think it really depends on the person… I was 21 when we meet. Good luck to you :heart: things tend to work themselves out.

I’m 36 and would never find an 18 year old attractive. That’s still a baby to me. They still act like children in their 30s. Women my age that date 18 year olds to me, only do it probably because they are easier to manipulate. I know one thing, I have kids and a damn sure wouldn’t want a grown ass kid for my boyfriend.

Leave him be to work it out himself she may be a very lovely person and he’s obviously happy with her so be happy for them

I don’t think I would like that either. Trouble is if you say anything, you’ll just make him that much more attracted to her. I would just go along, be nice, and be ready to support him if she dumps him.

I wouldn’t like it fr and As much as it stinks, he’s a grown man now. And he will have to learn for himself. Chances are if you get in it, He will just run off with her and shut you out. But just pray and keep faith that her intentions are pure and that she treats him well.

I can’t help but LOL at the moms with daughters saying “he’s and adult, there’s nothing you can do about, etc!” Would love to be a fly on the wall when their daughters turn 18 and start dating a 37 years old perv!!! You said she’s a coworker, I’m just curious as to where your son works??? Fast food? Walmart? I hope in the very least she’s a head cashier making more money than he does because if that’s not the case he’s definitely helping out financially and that’s where I truly see a problem! Keep being smart and don’t fuss because at 18 her vag is a mighty magnet and you’ll just push him away and that’s not a mom option…

9 Likes

Y’all don’t normalize this. His brain is still developing. He’s still a teenager. They’re in completely different stages of life. This is gross.

15 Likes

Ain’t no way! She’s just using him as a boy toy

Omg I would die she and I would have words

I’m 37 and my daughter is 18…… I think this is gross and she knows it….

3 Likes

My man is 17 years older then me. But I was also in my 30s when I met him. At 18 I was dating people my age as your son should. Just make sure he’s not spending all his money on her. Does she drive? Have her own car and place? Does she have kids? I believe he should get more life experience before dating an older woman

1 Like

3 things: As a boy mom, I completely understand. Second, I’m almost 34, I would never even come near anyone less than 28, too different levels of maturity. Third: my cousin started dating someone. They were 19&37, they got married, and it turned into a disaster. 19 was so badly manipulated by 37 year old. They are now getting a divorce & 37 year old is trying to ruin 19s life :weary::weary::weary:

Now saying all that… if he’s serious, maybe meet her. He’s over 18, so can’t really do anything about it.

4 Likes

I dated an 18 year old when I was 31. At first, his mom wasn’t too thrilled (which I totally understand) but after she got to know me, she loved me. The reason I dated him was he was very mature for his age and we had a lot in common at the time.  Give her a chance! I can assure you, she probably has more to lose than he does. I did. I’m sure she probably makes more money than he does and most likely owns her own home and possibly has children. As I said, she has more to lose than he does if the relationship doesn’t work out. It was the same for me. I obviously made significantly more than he did and also had my own place so of course I had my reservations about dating him and wondered if he was using me. But we had a great time! It was never anything serious but we still had fun. Age truly is just a number!

9 Likes

She’s a pedo… doesn’t matter if she’s lonely or not… she needs to find someone closer to her age… she probably has kids his age… eww

4 Likes

Nah that’s pedo type behavior. I’m 34 and the thought of being with a 18 year old makes me sick, shoot I wouldmt even be with a 25 year old.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not much you can do. Only thing you can do is be there for him. Offer advice when he wants it. Once they reach a certain point in life we can’t just tell them no we won’t allow it. He makes his own decisions now. He will make wrong ones with his right ones…just be there for him through it all.

2 Likes

I would like that if it was my son either :woman_facepalming:x

Let him live his life and learn things on his own. Thats apart of growing up.and being an adult. Plus if they’re love is true, its not your say.

1 Like

Having son who is 18 and a daughter who’s 19, two younger children I would have a problem with this. Your not wrong for feeling the way you do.

It’s not like he’s just turned 18, he’s been 18 for nearly a year. He’s an adult now so there isn’t anything you can do about it. Leave him to it, more than likely the relationship won’t go anywhere, if it doesn’t wait and be there for him. If it does last then there is no concerns. If you interfere you could push him away for life

1 Like

I differently would push him away sorry but something is off with her if she wants an 18yr old when 37, my opinion but really my friends n family feeling also

4 Likes

She ought to be a$hamed that’s all I have to say about her :unamused: and as far as your son unfortunately there’s nothing you can do except let it phase out, if you show any objections he will be with her longer

1 Like

You don’t do anything :woman_shrugging:t2: you can tell him how you feel (and I suggest you do it respectfully) but he’s an adult and you don’t get to “do anything “ about whom he chooses to date

I wouldn’t like it either. But at the end of the day he is an adult, and he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. You cannot pick his girlfriends for him. Let him make his own decisions and be there if/when he needs you.

2 Likes

Grooming … just cuz he’s legal he’s still a teenager.

I’d be wary… but don’t push him away being overbearing

6 Likes

Sounds like maybe you should take the time and spend more with her. I doubt he started his job and announced to everyone he had just turned 18. It’s likely she didn’t know his age and he didn’t know hers until they developed an attraction for one another. They are both consenting adults and the fact that you refer to a 37 year old repeatedly as “girl” and not “woman” leads me to believe that you haven’t spent much time with her. Get to know her heart. Is it alarming when your son dates someone older? Absolutely. Does that mean she has ill intentions or is a “pedo?” No.

2 Likes

Just 10 years ago she was 27 and was 8🥴

11 Likes

age difference isn’t a problem, it’s the fact that a mature woman would choose to be with someone so young and inexperienced at life. That’s a red flag alone. Maybe have a conversation voicing concerns when emotions aren’t high and perhaps setting ground rules. You want to be supportive and still responsible. Talk about money, talk about setting and keeping goals, and open communication?? I’m not sure I wish I had more solution for you. Sounds like people are sharing more about the problem than a solution. But trust your intuition,you sound like a wonderful mother!!

8 Likes

He’s 18 can technically date who ever he wants

Your not wrong for how you feel, but he is 18 and testing the waters. Let it play out you can’t shells him forever, he needs to learn for him self and be able to make his own boundaries if it doesn’t work out.

leave him be it is his time to learn

Wow! Wtf is a 37 year old doing with a damn 18 year old ! As a mom I would absolutely lose my shit !

Hey, hey, hey she could be very caring as well, we don’t know anything about her at all. But it seems a little delayed for your son, I am surprised at the young people not getting their license or job sooner, it’s like they are holding back, so he is behind on live experience, maybe having an older girlfriend is a good thing for him, she might be more stable and understanding than girls his age

Yes it would be hard adjusting to but as long as their happy be happy for your son.
You never know she may be his soul mate just just cane to this earth a few years earlier than him

as hard as it is, let him figure it out on his own.

1 Like

What in the hell does a 37 yr old have in common w an 18 yr old?? I understand he’s a legal adult but this Is so wrong on the woman’s part. This kid who’s 18 hasn’t even lived yet and this 37 yr old has. I see this as totally wrong

3 Likes

Most guys date older women at one point in their lives. Don’t worry. It want last but he will be your son forever.

1 Like

Let him go you interefere you will make it worse .he still growing up you can’t make his mind who he can and can’t go out with I’ve all son’s you have to let them go

1 Like

Well since he’s 18 he is an adult,you can’t tell him wat to do anymore(in his eyes at least)you let him figure out life!Hes the only one that can make him happy & if he’s happy with her you be happy for
Him!We can’t pick who our children love it’ is wat it is’ Sorry!

1 Like

Something is off about an almost 40 dating an impressionable 18. It’s just not right.

1 Like

When I first started dating my husband I was 26, and he was 46. There is a 20 year age difference, and it works for us. We each have a child from different relationship. He has adopted my daughter. Him and I love each other, and it’s weird to some people. I’m ok with that. They do not live our life. I’m 34 now, and I am so thankful I said yes to that lunch date years ago. Now, I said all of that to say,

Your son is 18 , he is technically an adult. Let him know your feelings, let him know you love him, let her know how you feel about the situation. Also, do it kindly. Tell them both you are skeptical about this, but that you love your son, and you are here. If you are nasty about it, he will push you away. If you are right about her, he may be too embarrassed to come back to talk to you when it is over.

It’s ok to have have doubts. You are his mother. But, remember to show him grace if you want the same in return.

Good luck Mama. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Definitely have a talk with him about it and her! Just because he just turned 18 doesn’t mean you can’t express your concerns

1 Like

The perv found herself a student. Easy momma cause you will push him away. I agree she should be a$hamed!

4 Likes

I was 18 and dated a 42 year old, the guy was genuinely a good guy. The relationship didn’t last very long maybe 3 months and that’s okay. He moved on to other people a little more closer to his age. It happens. You have to learn to let your kiddo go.

2 Likes

That kind of set up is likely also benefiting him…I am 38 and have had young guys like that try to get with me. For some reason it seems it’s the thing to sleep with an older woman these days for the barely legal guys. Depending on your relationship, maybe just let him know it makes you uncomfortable, but if you don’t have a good relationship it’s possible it will cause issues between the two of you. Keep that in mind before butting in.

He is an adult and if you disapprove it will just encourage him to dig his heals in and stay with her just to prove you wrong that being said if it was the other way around and the 18 year old was a girl every one would be loosing their s#@t

4 Likes

I’m 35 my so is about to be 65 in July,we have 2 kids together

1 Like

At 30 I see 18 year olds as children. Just because something is legal doesn’t make it right. If this were an 18 year old girl dating a 37 year old man everyone would be quick to call the man a predator. The same is true in this case.

41 Likes

You can talk with him. He is 18

Wow so much hate for the woman being older, sorry to say but it does take 2 to tango and hes obviously into her just as much.

11 Likes

He is 18 and has to figure life out on his own,and relationships are a part of that,it could end that she is the one who will be there for a long term relationship or she could be one of those who just want to just mess around,he just needs to becareful and take his time

1 Like

I’m 38…I couldn’t imagine dating an 18 yr old. That being said, I was 24 and dated a 49 yr old man and we had a child together. We didn’t last very long either because he was very controlling of me

1 Like

He is an adult now mommy. You gotta let him figure things out on his own.

2 Likes

Yikes!!! As a mom I would be concerned as well because he is still very young.
And as a women… hell no. I like younger men… always have but not that young. He is way too young. I just could not.
Sorry…I hope you find a resolution or she decides he’s not for her.

I am 32 and I cannot imagine being with an 18 year old plus I have boys and I would be rightfully concerned and upset too . All you can do is express your concerns and be there for him :sob:

3 Likes

Invite them to dinner and see how she reacts to your questions. Vent to him your concerns.

1 Like

I’m 37… I could not for the life of me… justify dating an 18 year old. Nope. Even if he was the sweetest and most awesome kid. I’d encourage him to find a sweet young lady for himself. Lol

That’s a tough one. Just talk to him, or talk to them together.

2 Likes

My husband is 17 years older than me been married 11 years n a very good marriage but i wasn’t 18 teen

1 Like

The last day of being 17 and the first day of being 18 does not magically make him an adult. Yes you most definetly can say something

1 Like

This is a hard one cause I’m 37yrs old but still act & think I’m about 18 so I think it just depends on the person/people immaturity level :skull: lol

2 Likes

I’m wondering why this almost 40 year old woman would date such a young guy. I have a son about to turn 21 and my other half’s son just turned 19 this year, so it’s just awkward as a parent and person in general. My first MIL and FIL are far apart in age like that, he went to school with her mother and it didn’t work out and he wasn’t around much for my ex husband or our son. He is missed, passed away several years ago, but he was always into something, very immature and so was my Ex MIL so my sons great grandma raised my ex husband and is now raising my ex husbands other son. Just generational issues that are odd and carry on. My ex had a kid with a girl 8 years older than our son and none of them are there for the kid who is with my ex mil now…so take that messed up story as you will. My son is glad I’m not wild and into younger people, that’s for sure. He’s been more embarrassed.

That’s a bit older. I would have concerns as well . You are handling it better than I would

I would suggest you voice your concerns about him dating someone so much older- because there is a large maturity gap especially when he is only 18. I would make sure that legally he is protecting himself by not ending up on a lease with her and not over extending himself financially. Young people often don’t think about the long term implications of these decisions and he needs to guard his credit, finances etc until he is in a very committed relationship with a financially stable person.

If, after hearing your concerns, he chooses to continue the relationship I think you need to be supportive of him. Hopefully he will remember what you’ve said and if he sees warning signs he will be able to handle them. It may be a great relationship- it may not be. Obviously something about it has caused you enough concern to post a fan question and I think you need to listen to your gut.

1 Like

Yeah age difference is easier the older you get. I’m younger than that and I wouldn’t even look at an 18 year old guy romantically. They’re like kids to me still

4 Likes

Honestly I think it’s not ok… she has issues.

4 Likes

I had the same concern. My son was 19 when he was introduced to a woman 10 plus years older and with a kid. I was not aware as he was living with my mom at the time. I was not happy about it for the fact that he was an immature 19 year old, very anti-social and never really had a girlfriend. Well one day I get a call from her and find out she is pregnant, he was avoiding telling me. I had never met her before. They are still together and he has been miserable through the whole relationship. He is very unhappy and feels stuck. But honestly it really is case by case. I knew this would be a problem only because I could not imagine being a single mom and getting together with an immature 19 year old, I would have to be crazy to do that. My son has not lived his life, not dated, not went out into the world and now he is living with her, her daughter and my granddaughter, is the sole supporter. She calls me all the time with their problems and I try to sympathize but I have to remind her she knew he was practically a kid when she got pregnant by him. She is actually very immature and not mentally healthy which in turn I feel is terrible for my son, as he struggles with depression and anxiety (not treated). He has told me she is un-motivated, crazy and all this stuff but now he is tied to her forever. I try to have a good relationship with her as she is my granddaughters mom and what I have gathered is she does not love herself, has very unhealthy habits and lies a lot. She is a good mom to my granddaughter from what I see but also exposes her to a toxic relationship and seems to think she will and can change my son. I worry about my granddaughter all the time and hurt for my son, he really is very unhappy.

1 Like

To those telling you he’s an adult… correction: at eighTEEN, he’s just legal enough to do a few things. He doesn’t have enough life experience yet to be considered an adult. His brain isn’t even fully developed yet.

9 Likes

If it was a teenage girl and a 37 year old man, yall would be saying it’s disgusting, he groomed her, it’s hardly legal.

It’s different because the role are reversed?

Yall need to keep the same energy

9 Likes

he’s 18 you have to step back

2 Likes

OK Unpopular opinion here maybe She’s been threw a few Bad Situations and your Sons kind heart is helping her they are dating not getting married I get your concerns as A signal mother of 3 boys myself! Maybe try to spend some time with her get to know her then Make a decision…

2 Likes

My son at 22 was fast becoming an alcoholic and was headed down the wrong path in life then he started dating my boss which is 8 yrs older than him. I didn’t much care for it at first mostly because she already has 3 boys and can’t have anymore babies and I know my son really wanted his own kids but she’s been good for him, he doesn’t drink much anymore he’s got a job as a correctional officer at a prison she cleaned his credit up he has his first brand new 22 car and they seem really happy together. The way he was going he would’ve been on the other side of those bars before to long… sometimes things work out and I’m happy for them…hopefully this lady will be good for your son as well

14 Likes

They just bangin’ he’ll be alright.

2 Likes

This is very difficult. I only know of one state where age of consent might be over the age of 18. Legally, we as parents can’t do anything. Your concerns are valid. I’d fear saying anything would just make it worse.

That seems sick to me. What does a 37 year old woman want with an 18 year old. That woman has issues and I would get her away from my son

7 Likes

Everyone complain when a man dates an older woman but most women date older men… let the kid be and enjoy his experience. It’s not life long

6 Likes

I have an 18 year old. This would enrage me… but nothing you can do because he’s 18. Your concerns are valid mama.
I suppose just do your best to offer guidance and love. Try not to drive him away.

3 Likes

I’m 33 and would never look at an 18 year old, they are still kids in my opinion, I think it is wrong on her part and she has issues. It’s hard to go about it with your son as he feels he is an adult which legally he probably is, not sure where you live so laws are different everywhere.

7 Likes

I’m sorry but that’s gross!
What’s wrong with her!
I would be pissed!
Before anyone comes for me in the comments I would say the same thing if they roles were switched!
It’s wrong either way!
Legal age or not!
Yikes!

6 Likes

I’m 28 and I would never date an 18 year old… idk but I agree I would be concerned too… just be open with him and tell him your concerns.

3 Likes

He’s an adult so therefore you can’t do anything about it. I can guarantee if you make a big deal about it he will move out and move in with her. Leave it alone. And men date younger girls ALL the time and its no big deal.

He is just too young no way…

1 Like

I’d be concerned too! Age shouldn’t matter but when it involves a teenager still that’s wrong it’s be different I think they were both older then 20… but most 18 year olds are still in high school! I would be very concerned too! Hugs hoping something can be done or said to help both of you feel at ease with the situation. Maybe if you have a good relationship with him ask him what his intentions are with this girl. Explain he’s still young has his whole life ahead of him! Some 37 year old mothers have 18 year old sons!

4 Likes

If you could step back and let it play out the way it will, but be available to your son if he needs to talk, Being a Mom is a difficult job sometimes, there’s no users manual!!! Best of luck, hope it all works out well for everyone involved!!!xxx

2 Likes

She’s old enough to be his mother that’s my main issue

1 Like

There is nothing you can really do about it. He is 18 and if you try to stop him or speak negatively about the relationship that might just push him closer to her. You could try and say something like just be careful.

2 Likes

Dudes basking in being a legend amongst his friends, :woman_shrugging: you can voice your concerns, but there’s nothing you can do

1 Like

It’s gross! He is still a teenager and to me that’s still a kid.

3 Likes