What should I say to my stepdaughter?

My step daughter,15, mentioned that a friend at school gave her a vape. Should I say something, she always tells me to let it be btwn us on things. I'm worried, this time. Cuz aren't they dangerous??
63 Likes

I think that if she isnā€™t using it, like her friend just gave it to her but she hasnā€™t tried it, maybe let it go. To a point. I would talk with her because trust is highly valuable at that age, and itā€™s good that she has that with you. Donā€™t lose it. Tell her your feelings on vaping and let her know, that Bc it is a health issue, that if she uses it (or any others obv), you will have to talk with her dad. But be clear that you donā€™t want to break her trust, so she needs to do the same and keep her promise to not vape. That way youā€™re being upfront with her, but also letting her know that youā€™re more than a friend. Good luck momma!

I used to vape before pregnancy

warn her about the liquids that can be inside them - THC can get you high, nicotine is addictive and bad for your health. if itā€™s just flavoured, with no nicotine, itā€™s presumed to be fine but there isnā€™t a study of long-term effects. See if she knows where her friend got the liquid from. vapes in the US have been linked to popcorn lung but not in europe. even if itā€™s just flavour itā€™s illegal to purchase and use if you are under 18.

teenagers will do illegal stuff now and then. they just will. make sure they know the risks involved

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I say to my stepdaughter? - Mamas Uncut

Weā€™ll vapes/ are for adult use. So Iā€™d ask her how her friend got it to begin withā€¦
Iā€™d ask her about it when in private, also is it nicotine or THC?!

6 Likes

I would have a 1 on 1 with her and if she doesnā€™t stop then I would talk with her dad and bioā€¦

Dependsā€¦they have liquid with no chemicals. Howeverā€¦i wouldnā€™t let my kid have one as could be an opener to trying cigarettes,etc.

It is considered a adult thing. If your husband finds out you kept this from him. He might be angry.

Iā€™d be more worried if you had found out through someone elseā€¦ however in my opinion Vaping isnā€™t good.

1 Like

There are certain things that donā€™t qualify for ā€˜just between usā€™. Not only is it unhealthy, it is illegal for her to be in possession of it. She can get in trouble with the police as well as her school.

Are you cool with her smoking cigarettes or weed? Having copd sucks! Iā€™m 28 and have copd and Iā€™m on oxygen 24/7 now and have no life anymore. And itā€™s painful.
Kids donā€™t need to be smoking anything imo

1 Like

Known to be destructive to the userā€™s lungs

1 Like

Iā€™d keep it between you two. I know its an unpopular opinion but she came to you and I assume didnā€™t use it. If you tell, is she going to keep coming to you or cut you off because she feels betrayed? Btw- what a good step mom you must be. Thats a lot of trust she has in you.

5 Likes

Even with juice with no nicotine it still coats the lungs and damages them.

2 Likes

your care about her. right ,?
what would you do if she was your daughter? That would be what to do. Treat you step kids like your kids

She at the age where itā€™s common to start with experimentingā€¦ I would wait till yā€™all are in private and talk to her about it. Find out if she already done it and if so how many timesā€¦ and talk to her to the dangers of itā€¦ so she still comfortable coming to you but let her know that you will need to let her father know about it but let her know that your and her have talked about it and etc.

4 Likes

Yes she shouldnt be vaping, yes you should keep it between you and her (she will respect and trust you more) make sure she understands the harm of vape

4 Likes

There are no studies that show vaping is harmful. Be greatful its nit a cigarette

3 Likes

Your not supposed to b her friend ur suppose to be the parent!!! There is no keeping it just between u two ! If that was ur child and her step parent u would b upset!

9 Likes

Tell her they are dangerous and not to ever try them

2 Likes

Well itā€™s definitely a good sign she told you, that makes me think she isnā€™t using the vape herself. She came to you with trust. If itā€™s not a life threatening matter, Iā€™d keep it between the 2 of you. Like others commented above, would she still trust you with big things if she finds out you told about this?

Itā€™s your step daughter, you need to talk to her father about it. I would be HIGHLY pissed if my daughter wanted someone to keep a secret from me or her father- no matter who they are, especially if itā€™s something that is 1. Against the law and 2. Is horrible for her health

2 Likes

Worst things invented no better than a cigarette

1 Like

Vaping is great for those 21 and older who are trying to get off cigarettes. Would I rather them vape then smoke hell yeah but they are not old enough to make those decisions. If you know you need to shut it down.

1 Like

Are you her friend or her parent? Would you be okay with her getting an MIP if she was caught with it? What would you do if she told the cops or school you are okay she has it? These are questions you should ask yourself in times itā€™s okay to ā€œlet it beā€ but when itā€™s something that can effect her health or get her in legal trouble I think you should be stepping in

1 Like

This is the reason that adults dont have safer alternatives is because some way some how these kids get their hands on them

1 Like

Iā€™d just give her the best scientific info I could find on vape use & its potential dangers and let her be.

Vapes are bad! Donā€™t listen to anyone! My brother was told that if he continues to vape and his lung collapses again, he will either die or theyā€™ll have to take his lung.

My 10 yr old said he vaped. I asked how it was, if he liked it, what he thought etc. I stayed calm. He made the decision to never do it again.

This is where the addiction to nicotine starts. Once she keeps ā€œtryingā€ it, she might not be able to stop.you need to talk to her about that fact for sure. Tell her to start noticing all the people that are vaping, they are addicted. And donā€™t trust the fact that the kids say itā€™s just juice with no nicotine, that is most likely not true. And further some vape will be made with weed. So thereā€™s that too.
Keep it between the two of you as a trust thing, but if you see she is not taking your advice, time to bring in dad and birth mom. Donā€™t wait a long time to do so though. Nip this risky behavior in the bud.

Destructive:

Out of choices of things for kids to try, I say vaping is the safer option. Not saying there isnā€™t risks, but nothing is risk free. Now Iā€™m not really for the types like Juul or Vuse, but regular E-juice vaping is a better option.

2 Likes

If she gets caught with it at school the school will take action and yall will be in courtā€¦just speaking from someoneā€™s experienceā€¦ the boy age 15 was put on 90 days probation and had to write a 2500 word essay to the court about why vaping is badā€¦ :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

If Dad finds out youā€™ve been hiding this kind of info there could be a whole heap of trouble coming your way, you donā€™t need that. Sheā€™s fifteen not fifty.

2 Likes

Iā€™d talk to her in depth about the dangers, but yes Iā€™d keep it between the two of you. She trusts you and is coming to you for a reason.

2 Likes

There are several studies ongoing on the safety of vaping. So far they say they are safer than cigarettes but still dangerous to health ā€¦
Its good she trusts you and hard to advise breaking that trust ā€¦
Id have her online looking at results ā€¦they can still cause heart damage etc ā€¦then tell her this is a secret you dont feel you can keep as it could be harmfulā€¦give her the chance to tell her parents herself. If she wontā€¦I feel youve got to

2 Likes

Do you condone a teen smoking? Thatā€™s your answer Do you keep secrets from her father?

1 Like

Iā€™d rather my child vape than smoke cigarettes. And Iā€™d much rather her feel comfortable and safe enough to tell me that she has one/uses one. You CANNOT force a child to a anything. If they want to do it bad enough, theyā€™ll find a way. I wonā€™t financially support her vaping. But if sheā€™s well behaved, respectful, has good grades and overall does well and school and has her crap together, vaping would not be a high concern of mine. Iā€™d of course educate her on vapes and the risks they do pose even though theyā€™re not as bad as cigarettes and how to use them responsibly and safely. Iā€™ll once again say, teenagers if they want something bad enough, theyā€™ll do it with or without your permission. But itā€™s better to not be sneaky about it and to be honest. Since she was honest she seems like a good kid.

2 Likes

I would sit down with her and talk to her and show her how bad they truly are.I did this with my son when he decided to try pot.We sat and talked and I asked him what he thought.How he felt and so fourth.I wasnt mad or upset that he tried it.I use to smoke it a lot.He said,he didnt like how he felt.

yes, her dad needs to know

You can talk to her a you want, doesnā€™t mean itā€™ll change anything

2 Likes

You should educate her on it and how itā€™s not good. You want to keep trust and open dialog between you especially the age that age group is so difficult.

1 Like

I told my daughter, they arenā€™t healthy or safe. She said ā€œthatā€™s gross anywaysā€ so Iā€™m hoping she makes the right choice when it comes to that stuff.

I started smoking cigarettes around 14-15 and still smoke. If I could go back and never start that would be great because now I donā€™t know how to function without them. Iā€™d tell her that itā€™s harmful to her body but donā€™t keep pushing her and definitely donā€™t tell her she is totally not allowed to because she will be sneaking around doing it anyways.

4 Likes

Well Iā€™m the bad mom of the group, I quit smoking thru vaping and my Dr didnā€™t have an issue, she did say my lungs sounded a lot better . Also my daughter is 18 I caught her smoking cigarettes and stealing them from me, she came home with a vape and switched to vaping, she doesnā€™t use anything anymore but I have bought her disposable ones, I would rather her smoke that than a cigarette, I bought the ones with the lowest nicotine content

3 Likes

Education & knowledge is key.

1 Like

First of Or is very dangerous to her lungs, but less offensive to others because there is no second hand smoke. Explain to her that you appreciate her confiding in you but you will sit down with her and her Dad to discuss the pros and cons. This gives her an out with her friends and she will know that you have her back. Win Win

1 Like

Nah they not dangerous

eh let her be but let her know you donā€™t approve. the trend will go away soon enough

1 Like

Its also illegal. Jfc. My child has a vape what do i do? TAKE IT AWAY. Jfc. Some people just shouldnt have kids

3 Likes

if you tell on her she wonā€™t come to you again so freely

6 Likes

Iā€™d rather her feel safe enough to tell me these things then have her hide them from me because either way sheā€™s gonna do it. Atleast sheā€™ll have someone to come to and you wonā€™t be in the dark.

7 Likes

What kind of vape? Need more info to make a proper judgment. Are we talking the ones with the nicotine juice or the kind of vape for cannabis flower?
Either way, I wouldnā€™t be comfortable with my 15 yr old smoking either of them. Vaping cannabis is safer than smoking a joint though - better on the lungs. Vaping nicotine juice is not much different than smoking a cigarette really, maybe a bit milder. Either way, I wouldnā€™t be ok with my kid using that (until theyā€™re a legal adult and can choose to do what they want)

2 Likes

I would tell her hell no. She is 15. Not only is it dangerous but itā€™s illegal. Thatā€™s just how I see it anyways.

2 Likes

She, the 15 yr old child, tells YOU to let it beā€¦.? Wtf? I would say something to her, and also let her know that you will talking to her parents and fronting her off about this. If her parents donā€™t give a shit then I guess you can ā€œlet it beā€
Sounds like a shitty situation, and the beginning of troubled times ahead with that kid.

Vaping is no better than cigarettes they are still an addiction and still cause lung cancer and COPD I know because I have multiple family that also made that stupid mistake of thinking it was no big deal and for you to have to question what to do makes you just as much of an idiot. God are you the parent or the teenager! Put some knowledge into that childā€™s head she needs guidance not a pushover as a parent.

2 Likes

I would let her know that you want to always keep her secrets, but you canā€™t keep the ones that might harm her. If she gives you the vape, you will dispose of it and never mention it again. If it is something she is curious about, you would like to bring her dad in on the discussion so he can help answer any questions she has.

10 Likes

Depends a lot on what is being vaped and if it is under regulationā€¦ lots of unregulated/tested vapes going around for thc etc that can cause a lot of problems, but for the most part the vapes for nicotine are legally sold and okay inasmuch as you want your kid ingesting nicotine. Better for you than smoking a cigarette but still not good for you at all :woman_shrugging:

Iā€™m not sure what the school can do. No itā€™s not healthy. Iā€™m just glad your child is comfortable telling you. I would just educate yourself so you can have that information for your child.

Sheā€™s not your child so you donā€™t say anything to her. Let her father know, step back and let him handle it.

1 Like

This is happening with my 13 year old. She keeps coming home with them from school. I started doing bag checks when she came home. I talked to the school about it, and they said that this is actually a huge problem, and they canā€™t seem to keep up with it. I also talked to the school officer and he said they have no clue how these young kids are getting their hands on them, but they have seen vapes all the way down to elementary school children. I just keep taking them away from her, but regardless she comes home with more everyday. Vaping in kids has had serious effects including some deaths. They arenā€™t as bad as cigarettes but they are still unhealthy, plus its illegal. Take the vape away. And keep taking it away.

1 Like

They are dangerous and addictive. You also have to be at least 18 just like cigarettes to buy them. (Some states 21)

First of all is is a nicotine vape or a weed vape either way her ā€œfriendā€ and her need to know that 1 itā€™s not ok to steal from adults (assuming thatā€™s where her friend got it from) and 2 they are way to young to be putting poison in their bodies and if and when sheā€™s of legal age she can choose what she wants to do but I wouldnā€™t allow it in my house and Iā€™d demand the friends name so I could reach out to their parents and limit time with that friend whoā€™s clearly a terrible influence

2 Likes

Nicotine is nicotine; doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s from a cig or a vape. Iā€™d definitely be communicating with her dad, but I would make it a point to make sure sheā€™s not in trouble, after all she came to you with honesty.

5 Likes

Umm BE THE FUCKING PARENT
They are illegal at her age and bad for her health

Okay well first, thereā€™s very few vapes that are nicotine or cannabis free. They do exist, but itā€™s uncommon and generally used for people quitting smoking. But second, do some research into the dangers of both for a 15 year old and talk to her about it. Easy peasy

Omg these spell of a thing really works like magic.
Thanks to you Dr Amala for bringing back my husband to me.

Ask her if she is aware of the dangers of vaping. If she doesnā€™t, then educate her. Or research together.

3 Likes

If you take it from Her shes just going to get another one. Theres really no point from what ive learnedā€¦you say NO she will rebel. Do what you have to do but dont lash out at her if she does just that.

I vaped since i was 14 or 15 and grew out of it within a few yearsā€¦

3 Likes

I would talk to her about the dangers of vapingā€¦ At lease shes not hiding it from uā€¦

5 Likes

Make a Dr appointment. Let the Dr talk to her about the effects vapor and nicotine can have on the lungs. God bless.

4 Likes

Talk to her straight up! Tell her she shouldnā€™t be vaping at her ageā€¦ search popcorn lungs on google. Show her how dangerous it is.

1 Like

Also Iā€™d tell her she should warn her friend that itā€™s harmful, especially to young lungs, and if she gets addicted to vapes or cigarettes it can get very expensive (and wouldnā€™t she rather spend her money on having fun & new clothes?) & itā€™s bad for your skin (which might resonate at this age better than anything else).

3 Likes

They are very bad for you. I would find it and throw it away. At least let her know how bad it is for you. She probably wont listen though. I know someone that vapes and now she has tumors in her lungs. But that wont stop her. She just keeps on doing it

2 Likes

Ask her to give it to you so you can dispose of it?
Does it have nicotine in it?
I personally am using them to quit smoking and in my country (Australia) nicotine ones are illegal to even be sold

1 Like

Is she planning on using it?
Iā€™d ask for it. Just to get it away from her.

Right now she needs you to confide in. You need to be the parent in this circumstance and advise her the best thing to do. Get some information on the effects of vaping and what it can do to your lungs. Hope that that is enough to steer her in the right direction. If it doesnā€™t and she continues to vape yes you will have to tell your partner.

2 Likes

Talk to her and tell her why theyā€™re bad for her.

1 Like

This needs to be discussed with her father.It is his place to talk with her.

4 Likes

Vaping has zero dangers. But at her age no she should not have one

5 Likes

my first thing would be to take the one the friend gave her away and educated her and take her to get her own so you know where it came from and whatā€™s in it and if you just take it away sheā€™s going to do it anyway

2 Likes

Just because she has one doesnā€™t necessarily mean sheā€™s using it. Just remind her thatā€™s itā€™s illegal for a reason, itā€™s dangerous, causes health issues, and itā€™s illegal

I would talk to her about the dangers. Seriously. At 30 I tried to switch from cigs to vape to quit and 3 weeks after making the switch my lung collapsed. Spent 4 days in hospital with a tube in my chest. Iā€™m overall healthy and had no reason for a lung collapse. They called it ā€œspontaneous numathoraxā€. Iā€™m not 100% on the spelling

2 Likes

Itā€™s weed or nicotiene. Either one she can do without at that age. I wouldnā€™t allow my daughter to get away with that. Addiction also runs full force in the family and I have 8 years sober. Weed is one thing as an adult- another as a teen when the brain is still forming.

4 Likes

Hubby vapes and it gets a bad rap. Not all are the awful horror stories you hear about where kids are dying from ingesting chemicals. The ones where people are getting sick is generally from using illegal vape thc products you buy on the street. Legal products are usually the nicotine oil but they do have cbd oil and thc if itā€™s legal in the state and from a reputable source. The illegal ones are these cheap cartridges made in China. So yes potentially very dangerous depending on the original source but your step daughter doesnā€™t know that information and possibly the person she got it from doesnā€™t know either which is truly the problem. I would talk to her about it and let her know how serious this can be and that she needs to be honest about it and itā€™s not safe for her to do it. Iā€™d tell her you love your relationship but you love her enough to keep her safe too. So one she needs to stop but either she talks about it or you will her choice.

2 Likes

People post on this sight and never comment to clarify. Almost feel like we are being played

Tell her youā€™re an adult and that you gotta draw the line somewhere. The vape is a no go. If she ainā€™t old enough to go into a store and buy one herself then she has no business using one. Vaping is so bad for you and sheā€™s still too young.

6 Likes

Sounds like she wants you to be her friend while that may seem cool itā€™s not youā€™re a parent figure youā€™re not her friend , thereā€™s a fine line between parental figure and friend . Sheā€™s underage , once sheā€™s an adult she can do what she wants until then she has to listen and respect all parents in her life .

4 Likes

Vaping is killing people.

1 Like

Vaping with just flavours is ok and actually quite normal for highschool students, BUT if they are using it with actual nicotine different story

1 Like

Be careful sheā€™s confiding in you and being responsible about it. If you break her trust by humiliating her by making a scene with that student youā€™re going to subject her to bullying and trust me when I say she will never confide in you again. Work it out between you two. Itā€™s not illegal everywhere. I never heard of it being illegal but regardless teach her it can cause breathing problems.

I get that you dont want a 15 year old to smoke a vape because yeah they are dangerous, but if you go it the wrong way she might just smoke it anyway, maybe try explain they have no research and the dangers of smoking them etc and they have given young kids popcorn lung and show a photo of it and explain what will happen to her, scare her a little maybe

2 Likes

Tell her that you are happy she is comfortable enough to come to you and tell you. Admit to her that you are unsure how safe vaping is and would like to look up the good and bad of it. See if she can explain it to you as to why she did it. Was it peer pressure, did she want to do it to try it and does she think she will do it again. If she says yes, ask her to atleast wait until you look up the good and bad first so you can show her.

5 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I say to my stepdaughter? - Mamas Uncut

There is something in liquid form that the teenagers use in e cigs these days called THC its like weed but also very dangerous

15 Likes

Maybe talk to her about the dangers they can cause and that it is addictive because itā€™s nicotine. Itā€™s brilliant that sheā€™s able to talk openly with you so maybe just an honest conversation with her may do it. Even though shes only 15 unfortunately they do start with experimentation around then.

hi! i vape!

warn her about the liquids that can be inside them - THC can get you high, nicotine is addictive and bad for your health. if itā€™s just flavoured, with no nicotine, itā€™s presumed to be fine but there isnā€™t a study of long-term effects. vapes in the US have been linked to popcorn lung but not in europe. even if itā€™s just flavour itā€™s illegal to purchase and use if you are under 18.

teenagers will do illegal stuff now and then. they just will. make sure they know the risks involved

To be fair I started smoking much younger than that and itā€™s probably better she is vaping rather than smokingā€¦ however, I wish I never started and it was very hard to put down permanently.

No matter what anyone else said I didnā€™t listen though. So as far as experimentation goes at least itā€™s potentially the least harmfulā€¦ but itā€™s still not great. My two bob, tell her itā€™s easier to stop now rather than going on for too longā€¦ itā€™s something that even smokers would tell me but it was something I had to learn for myself. I wish I wasnā€™t so stubborn.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s one of the new flavoured vapes - they contain no nicotine and itā€™s just flavoured steam basically. You still have to be over 18 to purchase and use though - so maybe just let her know about law and that you donā€™t want her to get in any trouble.

does she even smoke? if not then there should be no reason for her to have one. i would explain the dangers and addictiveā€™ness