When did you let your daughter shave her legs?

I think I was 12, my daughter just turned 12 and has super dark hair and weve talked about letting her.

As a gymnast she is more likely to be teased for it plus the coaches may end up saying something. If she’s ready I’d show her how. If she wants to keep up with it then she will. If she doesn’t she won’t

I think I was probably about 9 when I started having a go at it not consistently but coz had older sister and her friends that did . I started highschool at 11 years old which was when I’d started making it more of a habit .

Ours was a little older, but with that said, I get her reasoning, and would allow it. Show her how and let her fly.
It just depends on the child

I think it depends on the child not just the age. If you think she can do it and keep up with it. Then let her.

I started shaving my daughters legs when she was 6. Her legs looked like a monkey’s legs. It was so bad. She didn’t ask me but when I picked her up from school and heard an adult say something about her I lost it.

I think it depends on the child. I was in dance do I shaved earlier too. Beings she needs to as you mentioned, I think 9 is fine.

I feel like there is not a standard age for anything. Each child and situation is different. If something helps boost their esteem i say teach her.

I was much older than that but my friends were doing it and I had no idea what I was doing shortly after that I got my own razor and figured it out lol

I was 12 (didn’t ask mom) and I shaved my legs so hard that I have one scar from it. I thought you had to put a lot of pressure into shaving and shaved some skin off. I would teach her the proper and safe way to shave.

Grade 6 for me. So about 10. I wanted to do it earlier but my mom said no. First day of school I wore a dress, trying to break away from being a tom boy and I got made fun of for my hairy legs, it was horrible. Didn’t wear a dress for years. I was allowed to shave after that.lol

My mom let me start out with NAIR but I soon realized I was allergic and then she let me use a razor I was 8 almost 9 years old…

My daughter is 9 and I use hair removal cream on her, she has extremely hairy legs lol , we have just started with it , she will be 10 next month.

Following because my daughter will be 10 in December, but I still feel she is just a baby and too young… Please help

My daughter started shaving when she was in 6th grade, unbeknownst to me! Oh well! LOL

My daughter just started and she’s 12. But everyone’s different. Do whatever you think. You’re her mum and I’m sure whatever you choose to do will be right for you’s.

When you feel your child can handle it. Everyone matures differently. If she’s asking to do it to help her self esteem for gymnastics, let her. What’s it going to hurt?

My sister (older) grabbed one of my legs when I was in 3rd grade, shaved a line then told me to finish

Hair removal cream is what we started with. Nair worked wonders!

I was allowed to shave at 12 but just my calves not the full leg and my underarms as well.

She was 10 years old but almost 11. Just this summer is when I let her start.

I did it for my very hairy daughter. She wanted to start at 8. She is now 10 and can do it herself.

Every child is different. Go with your gut. You’ve got this. If your child is obviously upset about the situation, then go with your gut, and do what you feel is best for her!

Whenever she feels uncomfortable with the leg hair, let her shave

never had to shave my legs, even til this day. I do nair my under arms. I started my 10 year old a few months ago, as she’s a competitive swimmer. She just asked about her whole body, especially her arms… we will see, but I’m never letting her shave. It grows back thicker

My mom let me when the body hair became something I was uncomfortable with.

Okay mine is 12 about to be 13. She has no desire what so ever to shave anything. And she plays basketball. She raises those arms up and its like a jungle under her arms. :rofl:

I started at 10 years old, I think because it’s bothering her and she is a gymnast that it would be a good time to start.

4th/5thr for me. But girls are developing younger so peg hair is probably more noticeable earlier.

I finally let my daughter shave at 10. But she also had started puberty. So I felt that it was time

The more hairy she is & the more visible it is, the more insecure she may become. She has enough to worry about at her age, Being bullied about being hairy shouldn’t be one of them especially when it’s totally avoidable by shaving. You’ll see how confident she’ll be after.

1. I had dark hairs it was embarrassing for me so my mum let me shave. Being a former gymnast myself it really does impact ones confidence being hairy.

Get an electric bladeless razor for her (like what men would use on their face/head) to start so that she can do that until she’s older and you feel safer giving her an actual razor for shaving.

My daughter started at 12
Its whenever they feel they’re ready and can do so safely.

If she’s self conscious about it let her. I’m 28 and shave my legs 2x a year, never liked it I have fine light hair you can barely see them :joy:

Let her do it. I got bullied because my mom set an age minimum. So I did it behind her back. Better to teach her when shes ready.

We cant go by when we were kids Everything is so different now I say when they start showing interest in it let them

I don’t think my Mom was EVER going to let me lol my Brothers told her , Mom Carol is going into the 7th Grade she needs to start shaving she was like she’s too young they were like Mom she’s gonna be teased so bad and it won’t go well for her if she doesn’t ! So my sister taught me at age 13

I started shaving my legs at 7. I had dark hair and was getting teased about it when I worse shots or dresses to school.

Let her. If it makes her feel better about herself, why not? I wasn’t allowed to shave and I was very hairy when I was that age. I was teased a lot. Kids are mean.

I was in middle school when my mom let me. I had to learn how to do it in a book - just like I learned how to use pads and tampons.

When I was in 7th grade

1 Like

I believe i was 11 when my mom got me an electric one lol

My daughter is 10 and is also very hairy. I got her an electronic razor so she could trim it down to just stubble but it can’t cut her.

How about waxing or hair removal cream for her legs it would last longer.

My daughter was 12 but I had a lot of hair at 10 but was not allowed to shave I hated to ware anything but long pants

Better to show her while she’s asking than to have her try to do it herself.

1 Like

My. Mother’s. Magic. Age. For. Me & My. Sister’s. Was. 13. We. Could. Shave. Our. Legs, Wear Lipstick. Etc. But. If. The. Issue. Is. Causing. Her. Problems & You. Don’t. Have. A. Problem. With. It. Then. I. Would. Let. Her. Do. It.

Times are different nowadays. There is ridiculous social media and advertising pressure affecting younger girls today. They are growing up faster and peers are more judgemental. Positive body image and self esteem are very important once they hit age 10/11. Whatever is done, should be done for her own reasons and not because peers and society encourage it. I taught my daughter to accept herself and be happy with her body. Milestones were set. When she was 10 she was allowed to shave her underarms. At 11, she could get her ears pierced. At 12, she was allowed to shave her legs. Once she turned 13, she could pluck her eyebrows and wear a bit of concealer make-up to cover breakouts. At 14+ she could wear light makeup such as a bit of mascara and tinted lip gloss. These milestones ment a lot to her and provided a fair pace for me, as we navigated through those challenging tween and early teen years.

11, when she started playing basketball. But we didnt use a razor, we used clippers at first until she wanted to use a razor and then she just kind of did it on her own.

When she’s ready she will let u know. A little help and guidance will go a long way😁

My daughter is almost 9, and was very self conscious about the hair on her arms and legs …if we went out, she would want to wear long sleeves, even if it was hot…I helped her remove it, as I didn’t see any reason to make her have to be embarrassed

My mum never let me do it I decided to do it myself at 12 in yr 7 as that’s when I became more self conscious about it.

Just have her use trimmers If she still insist then show her the proper way so she doesn’t cut herself on those thin areas. Ankles and behind knees are the cautious areas and moisture is ur friend

I let her when she told me it bothered her.

She is 9 and so far it’s just her arms that she has confided in me about. So I helped her shave them. I let her know that it’s OK to let them grow, shave them, whatever.

I just asked her to not do it herself.

My daughter is 11. We use Magic shave powder. It stinks but it’s awesome

I was in the 4th grade when I started shaving and using Nair . I had black hair and was really self conscious about it

Let her shave it will give her more confidence she doesn’t need hairy legs being a distraction🤷‍♀️

12Yo started when she was 10, she hated the way her legs were too hairy and she felt like everyone was looking at her legs and not her. We talked about the responsibility about shaving her legs, and we sat on the tub and watched her the first few times.

Now 14 yo has no interest in shaving her legs…

My daughter just turned 14 in July and became self conscious about wearing shorts and not having her legs shaved so I finally let her. I shaved her legs the 1st time to teach her and now she does it on her own

This post just gave me a new appreciation for only having a boy so far. As 1 of 3 brothers as well, i had no idea girls have so much going on so young.

I’m not there yet but what I plan to do with my daughter is when she first asks, and if she’s hairy, I’ll teach her. If she’s hairyand it’s noticeable I would say yes especially sense she’s a gymnast

I always told my 9 yr old when her period starts my 10 yr old step daugher is allowed by her mom… But if she is a gymnasts and all her friends do if shes thay hairy i would let her

I started when I was 9 I think that’s fine momma!!! And her being a gymnast I understand even more

What’s the big deal with shaving? Personally I just do the essentials but my daughter is extremely hairy and has bees removing everything below her eyebrows since she was 8/9.

My mom let me start at 9 as well because I was embarrassed by my hair legs

5th grade, both my kids had hairy legs and it bothered them. It’s whatever you decide, mamma knows best!

10 but she is almost 14 now and doesn’t do it regularly lol :roll_eyes: the whole excitement of it all wore off at like 12.

I started at 10, I don’t think theres a specific age.

1 Like

First time my dad bought me nair lol then started to shave when I was in the 5th grade lol

My mom let me start shaving when I started my cycle :woman_shrugging: but you know your child. If she’s mature enough to understand that they are sharp and expensive I wouldn’t see any harm in teaching her…

When she asked me to help her with it. Both of my daughters where almost 12 years old

My daughter was 12 or 13 but your baby is in a sport that shows her legs. I would let her . If it makes her feel better

When she asks. Why would I stop her? It’s her body and I want her to feel comfortable

2 Likes

It’s their body and they will know when the time is right for them… that’s how I’ve been with my oldest

Just let her shave. Its not about the age, depends on the kid. Better shave from now than let your daughter be teased and feel insecure. :+1:

I let my daughter when she was about 10-11

1 Like

When they ask was what we did

2 Likes

I shaved without permission… cut myself big time… ended up wearing norhubg but trousers for a loooong time to hide the cut… some 15 cm long en 2 cm wide…

Summer before Going into 6th grade. But do what is best for you and your daughter

Maya daughter was almost 11 I think and so was I. I was so mad at her cause I wanted to help her and she done it before I got home

“Normal age”…no such thing. All kids are different. If your daughter is asking to shave then teach her how. Really no biggie.

I was 10, I have boys soooooo, that never came up. But my nieces started shaving at 10/11

My girl asked when she was 12 I think it was…shes maybe done it 2-3 times since and shes nearly 15 :joy:

I was 10 when my mom let me. If my daughter asks at 9, I’d probably let her

If she asked then I would let her. Especially if she feels insecure about it and she is in a sport where she will be showing her legs. I was 9 and my daughter was to.

I did when i was 10, cause i was insecure in sixth grade whenever we change in gym class

I started shaving at 9. My mom didn’t teach me my first time but when she found out I did it I get a lesson.

I don’t remember what age but I let them do it when they were ready

I was about 9. Noticed my legs were more hairy than other girls at 8 and got self conscious about it.

I was taught when I asked how to do it, there was never an age limit set. When I was learning, Nair had a type of leg hair remover cream that came with a squeegee so I learned HOW to use a razor without the Knicks and cuts. I think i was around 9 or 10

I just let my 10 year old use a beard trimmer with no tip. Shes got a lot of hair and it’s close enough without cutting herself.

When they start to feel self conscious about it

1 Like

I let my daughter start with Nair before using a razor. She had very dark hair on legs and I’m thinking maybe 5th grade

I think I was maybe around 10 or something
I understand being bothered by the hairs so just teach her how
Wont kill her

1 Like

My daughter had to at this age too as she was hairy and had issues at schooled with other kids. I would get her and electric razor so its less risky.

I don’t think there’s a “normal” age Per se. I’d say whenever you & your daughter are ready. My oldest is 16 now & has been shaving since she was 13. I always said once my girls start menstruating then that’s when they can begin shaving.

I was a gymnast as a kid! I started shaving my legs at 10

My daughter was hairy and a cheerleader I let her shave when she entered middle school 6th grade, she was 11-1/2. And now she’s entering 7th grade and pretty much shaves on “special occasions” :joy::joy:

My daughter is 7 & I have been shaving hers for about 2 years … same reason - she’s a cheerleader & does pageants & she’s Mexican so she has dark black hair lol. She doesn’t wanna get made fun of so I help her - it does make her legs look super dirty cus of the hair if she’s not shaved … so I understand & tell her only I can do it - she’s not allowed to by herself yet of course & also of course we don’t do it weekly or anything - just when she needs. I do her face with a face razor too - cus she gets a big mustache & side burns. I see nothing wrong with teaching girls or boys how to groom themselves- I’d taught young they’ll grow up doing it & won’t have to fight with them to shower etc is how I look at it lol