When should kids meet the person you are dating?

I waited about six months to introduce my son to my ex-boyfriend.

When u as mother feel itā€™s time.

6 Likes

If it is someone whom you plan on a future with, wait a bit to make sure. Kids donā€™t need to meet everyone. Kids will get attached & then very hurt if it doesnā€™t work out

Do a background search first then only public settings then maybe after a year at one of your guys home but no overnights for a long time

When you feel things are serious enough then you introduce the kids

Wait til you know you are serious.

I waited 6 months then we had the kids meet and had a playdate it was really nice

My kids met him on the first date. But thatā€™s only because weā€™re old friends and my mom wanted to see him, too (she was babysitting). Theyā€™ve been along for the whole ride, including a breakup they never knew happened lol And a wedding they were a part of

I donā€™t think you can put an exact time range. You have to decide if this is a person you are being with for the foreseeable future, not someone youā€™re not sure about. If you have any hesitation, donā€™t do it.

3 Likes

Whenever you & the person youā€™re dating are ready

If heā€™s ready and you are ready, then talk to your kids and ask them if they are ready. Explain your feelings for each other

6months. My fiancƩ already knew my kids though since we have been friends for 12yrs.

We waited a year. He met my brother and my boys dad before he met my kids.

2 Likes

Current boyfriend is not the first person I dated, but the first one my daughter met. He met her really early on because it felt right.

My mom had a 6 month rule before introducing us to her now hubby of almost 20 years

A year roughly Iā€™d say, iv spent over 2 years split from my girls dad and yet to even text another man :joy: not sure Iā€™m ready for all that headache again lol all the best x

Thatā€™s not up to anyone but you and the one youā€™re dating to decide. You two talk about it and if you and him are ready for that then go for it. Everyone has different opinions but only you and him know your relationship and thatā€™s whatā€™s most important. Never go by another personā€™s timing that isnā€™t in the relationship. Itā€™s a personal choice for you and him.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve dated 2 people since my son was born, and both of them I had my son meet right off the bat because If they donā€™t have a connection with my son or seem to not wanna be bothered by him then adios mf :wave:t3:

4 Likes

With your kids being older, and since they know your dating. Just ask them. If you feel like things are going good between you guys, just ask the kiddos when/if they want to meet him.

2 Likes

Person experience, my son was 4 when his dad and I separated. I dated( for a short time) a couple of people within a 3 year time line. However he never even knew. I wanted him to just meet the person I felt was serious and could accept him and love us both. Then I met my current husband at a McDonaldā€™s playmate, lol. I was with my son and he was with his two amazing children. It was like love at first sight. Lol. I promise. We started talking as our kids enjoyed the playground:) so technically I felt it in my heart he was the one and I was right. We started dating and a month later, we made it official. Sorry for the long story. You will know it in your :heart:

At that age ask the kids how they feel about it

2 Likes

If you have to ask, then itā€™s not the right time. Thereā€™s no set time frame, and no one size fits all answer.
When youā€™re ready, youā€™ll know.

2 Likes

I waited 6 months for my kiddos (11 and 8) to meet my current boyfriend.

Honestly, youā€™ll know when itā€™s time. I did.

Thats personal choice id say. Wouldnt introduce them to someone just passing through though. Id want to be sure it was a long term relationship

My boyfriend and I were together for 7 months when he met my kids. I also knew him for almost 3 years before we started dating. But we were super casual for a while and thatā€™s why I wanted to wait till I knew I wanted to be more serious.

1 Like

I never introduce my children (ages 21 and 17) until Iā€™m :100: certain about a personā€¦usually around 6 months.

I may be the odd one out, but the sooner the better. U donā€™t want to get invested with someone your kids donā€™t like. My son met my bow husband a few weeks into seeing each other he was 2 and my step son was 1.5 we all went to the state far and made it comfortable for the kids. We have been together for going on 6 years and have a daughter together and another on the way. Ask your kids if they are comfortable tell them u will not be upset if they are not comfortable yet.

4 Likes

6 months to a year. Closer to the year. Clearly some of these ā€œmomsā€ dont care about their kid when they said the first date. Disgusting.

2 Likes

I generally had a wait time of 6 months

I was with my husband for 4 months before we did like a day at the park with his kids me a mutual friend and his daughter to meet them it was close to 6 months before we were doing things together at my home just us as in my now hubby and his kids.

I wasnā€™t dating my husband yet but we hung out just as friends and watched a Marvel movie together.

How my son reacts and how they bond together matters to me before I take anything else to the next level. If my husband acted weird or my son even hid behind me then thatā€™s a No. My son didnā€™t know my husband and pointed at him as he was walking towards us, ā€œMommy, thereā€™s your friend! Hi!!!ā€ And he was only 4.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no set time frame. Itā€™s when you feel ready to let those two worlds mix. People are going to judge and take ā€¦. No matter what you do so do what feels right for you! If youā€™re comfortable with it go ahead. Wish you the best

When you get serious enough to consider marriage/cohabitation. Children donā€™t need to form attachments to someone who may not be a permanent part of their lives.

1 Like

I disagree , kids can feel shit . That we are blinded to , to be honest donā€™t say heā€™s your boyfriend you all go out see how your child reacts . If itā€™s weird something is up .

I feel like I would wait at least 6mths. I just donā€™t feel children should be involved until itā€™s completely stable. I know someone who had her daughter meet n call dad each guy at most a month after seeing 5-6 guys in a 2.5yr span n daughter was between 2-4yrs at the time.

My ex waited about a week to introduce his new victim to our 6 and 8 year olds. And was having overnights within 2 weeks. We were together 9 years.
Iā€™d say atleast 6 months for introductions and atleast a year before overnights.

1 Like

When you feel the time is right, not anyone elseā€™s time frame. Itā€™s different for everyone, I havenā€™t let my daughter meet either of the 2 guys I have been with since her dad just because I wanted to be sure they were going to stick around.

When you feel itā€™s right

I would say 6 months

Me and my partner were seeing eachother for about 6 months before we introduced our kids to eachother and to the other partner. Weā€™ve been together since

1 Like

Id rather sooner then later but meet as friends not as romantic intrests and just see what happens. My youngest has special needs and can be quite a handful ivd had friends and guys ghost me when they find out so i want to know pretty quick if somone has the balls to acept a child like that. And always do it somewhere public ive always done beach or park

When you feel itā€™s right, ask him, ask the kids, this is such a broad thing, not everyone has the same ā€œstandardsā€ to dating obviously. When YOU and your kids and him want to meet, make it happen.

Soon they should know who is going to be in their lifes as well,would be good for all i would think.

Iā€™d wait a year or so. Like the other commenter said, watch how he and your kiddo reacts to each other. Pay attention to your kiddo mainly because theyā€™re the first to tell you if something is bad or off with the guy. Kids ALWAYS comes first

I did it immediately bc I look at it this way if he doesnā€™t like my kids or get along with them I take that as a red flag to move on

2 Likes

I say when you know itā€™s serious.

I have my oldest full time and no sitter so itā€™s hard for someone not to meet him

I would not introduce it until I am sure it will be a stable relationship.

2 Likes

When you decide the person will be around for awhile.

Honestly , if it were me , Iā€™d wait 6mths to a year . That way we will have gotten through the ā€œhoneymoonā€ period , and see if we are good together long term before introducing the kids in the mix .

5 Likes

Iā€™d only introduce them if itā€™s someone I felt I could see my long term future with. Iā€™d also wait to see them angry and how they deal with stressful situations before Iā€™d introduce them to my children. Sometimes you think you know someone, but you truly donā€™t.

If I had to do it over now, it would be at least six months to a year, with a long term future plan in place.

I say atleast 6 months, but it can vary a bit too based on how long youā€™ve known them, if you see a good long term stable future with the person, etc.

Ur kids r old enough to ask them if they feel ready to meet him. Talk to them and see where they stand with it and go from there

id say when u know its the real deal coz what if it doesnā€™t work out these things happen then kids are involved

it depends on if you really think hell be around for likeā€¦ ever. other wise theyll get used to him and theyll be heartbroken when he goesā€¦its a serious decision

If your kids arenā€™t absolutely thrilled that youā€™re dating, donā€™t bring him around for a whileā€¦he will be looked at as an intruder encroaching on their territory and their mom (speaking from stepkid experience)ā€¦

When me and my current relationship started of he knew I had a daughter about 13 14 at time I was holding off for few months but he did meet her just sooner than later she now almost 26

Depending on age and when you feel it is right. All up to you

I didnt introduce my kids for the first few months. I waited until I felt comfortable and secure with the relationship.

Didnā€™t introduce until we were talking marriage. Been married 5 years :)!

If itā€™s just an introduction then I say get that out of the way after you decide to date exclusively and in a relationship. But as far as bringing him around the kids to hang out or go places together I would wait until you and the guy are making plans for future.

2 Likes

With the rate my kids dads get married never honestly they meet someone then get engaged 1-4 months out then married in 2 months lol and the relationships donā€™t last that long either after marriage they are maybe together 6-7 months in total

Iā€™d sit them down and have a conversation about you seeing someone first, let them ask questions, ask if they would like to meet him, and go from there, and when you do introduce him, Iā€™d take the kids somewhere fun where they can meet him and then go have fun, and sit them down again at home and see how they feel about it after meeting him.

3 Likes

Introduced mine after dating in person two months. We had talked online for a few months before that but couldnā€™t meet because of the pandemic. Been over a year now and still going strong. He ADORES my little girls! Heā€™s a better father to them than the pos that abandoned us.

1 Like

If they know you are dating, ask them if they want to meet him. Go somewhere fun so they can talk to each other but not be forced into a face to face. We did bowling one time, arcade, even the movies. And meet him there. Slowly work into having him come to the house to pick you all up to go out

3 Likes

I always had a 3 month rule. Now to be clear I have only dated 3 men in over a ten year period šŸ¤·

1 Like

Talk to your kids and see if they feel ready. Each child is different and let them know you love them no matter what. By not introducing him too them could back fire on you too if they thing you arenā€™t including them in your future or that they are not important enough to introduce them. Iā€™m not saying introducing everyone but when you start feeling strong about someone then itā€™s time to include the kids.

Avoid it as long as possible. If there is a breakup, itā€™s harder on the kids than the adults.

2 Likes

I waited a few months after talking and seeing my SO until i felt comfortable in the relationship, i introduced him to my daughter as my friend, and then invited him over for dinners and nature walks so they could get to know one another. Fast forward a year later weā€™re a happy family of 3 and he loves her as his own. Youā€™ll know when the time is right

1 Like

See what heā€™s like with his own nieces & nephews, or his friends kids, first. This is someone who (you hope) would be heading into a step-parenting role so you want him to be comfortable with activities and households that are kid-centered.

Best wishes!

2 Likes

I met a man I intend to have around for a while. I let him meet my daughter who was 4 at the time pretty quickly. They had talked to each other on video chat (because sheā€™s nosey lol) and she was already quite fond of him. They hit it off. Their relationship has grown steadily as has ours. He sends her little gifts all the time and she draws him pictures (weā€™re long distance). She even calls him for bedtime stories because apparently mine suck compared to his. I did it six months in and my mindset was, if my kid doesnā€™t like him or if their interaction is awkward/forced then Iā€™m wasting my time as he isnā€™t the guy for me. My kid adores himā€¦and he has a genuine interest in her. His interest and concern for me as a mom and not only as someone heā€™s dating speaks volumes. Heā€™s definitely a keeper.

They are at the age you can sit down and ask them if they are ready to meet this person.

I say 6 ish months of being is a serious relationship is a good length of time

4 Likes

When you decide to marry

I say do not wait until your ready to marry simply because you may not like how he acts towards your children after being around them for a few months. I learned that the hard way. My guy was amazing to my daughter at first but once the new wore off he was a complete different man towards her I now regret it and will do things differently the next go around. I will start by dating the new guy for at least a few months to start and slowly introduce my daughter and see how that goes for a while before I even think about getting too deep in the relationship.

2 Likes

Ask the kids if they know your dateing.ask them if they want to meet him.see what they say first there old enough to express themselves but you gotta also except what they have to say.i dont know the situation but your kids do so take it from there.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-should-kids-meet-the-person-you-are-dating/12245

1 Like

I waited 4 momths to introduce my kids to my now boyfriend of 2 years. I was married for 10 years before my now boyfriend so introducing anyone new to my kids wasnā€™t something I was eager to do. They now have an amazing relationship.

3 Likes

It depends on if you are introducing them as a friend or your boyfriend. I introduced mine as my friend until i knew it would be a long term relationship. It was important to see how they would get along with my kids before I was in it for the long haul. I didnā€™t want to wait a year to find out they would t mesh.

25 Likes

When you are sure this relationship is going somewhere that includes them. Everyone you spend your time with dont need to meet your kids. Every man you are seeing is not their UNCLE.

14 Likes

when you feel secure enough to allow him to be part of your family and not before never make your house door a revolving door of men

3 Likes

If you think itā€™s going to be long term. Donā€™t drag a series of maybes into their lives. It teaches them that no one has long term valueā€¦ easy come, easy go. Let them see that a relationship has value.

23 Likes

Your kids are old enough to understand so why not ask them if they are ready to meet your friend. Tell them heā€™s a just a friend at first, if they are interested in meeting him then maybe start with plans of meeting outside your home like taking them out to the park or for Ice cream that sort of thing so you can see your kids reactions to said person in a neutral environment.

5 Likes

When the dating turns into more than ā€œdatingā€ā€¦meaning a full- commitment to each other. No sense in having your kids getting to know someone if perhaps the relationship will end. Also, make sure your kids want to meet him. Even if they are little, ask them.

6 Likes

My son is six. Heā€™s never met anyone Iā€™ve dated. But my dating life is next to nonešŸ˜‚ I donā€™t think thereā€™s a specific time line. I think you know if this other person is going to not only want to be in your life but your childā€™s life as well. Like fully in your lives. Single parent life is busy! Itā€™s very different! So I guess just make sure the other person fully understands your life. That your child/children will always come first. That thereā€™s going to be conflict with the other parent, at times. Itā€™s a lot to step into and it might be over whelming. Just start out slow and seriously, go with the flow. You should know if this person is legit or not. If thereā€™s reg flags then I wouldnā€™t recommend it.

10 Likes

I would personally wait until I knew it was really going somewhere, and also would tell the father of the children before and also speak to the children before introducing themā€¦ x

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t allowed to meet my husbandā€™s kids for almost 6 months. I also couldnā€™t be around if their mother was around. Sheā€™s not a good person. I still got blamed for all the issues anyway. Iā€™ve been around for 16 yearsā€¦ not going anywhere!

8 Likes

I think it depends on whether the kids would be ready and if you are confident in a future with this person. But, how this person interacts with your kids is a big piece of determining a future with said person too. I dont know if I could be with someone who doesnā€™t bond with my kids or make the effort. So id wait long enough to nurture and build relationship but donā€™t wait so long to introduce the kids.

3 Likes

Talk to your kids. They are at ages they understand and see more then you think. There are some people Iā€™ve never introduced my kids to and others who I haveā€¦ the last guy I met it felt right almost right away as we have the same age teenagers and if they couldnā€™t get along there was no hope lolā€¦ we arenā€™t currently dating but building a friendship that will hopefully last and spend most weekends with all 4 teenagersā€¦ even went camping as a group and had a blast. Sometimes things are just right and sometimes they are iffyā€¦ depends on where you are at comfort wise and your kids. Being a single mom the only advice I have is talk and listen to your kids.

1 Like

I would ask the kids. They may not be ready.

3 Likes

My Ex and I agreed on seeing a real future with said person and at least 6 months of dating before we bring the kids in.

9 Likes

I introduced my kids to my bf of now 9 years after a month or soā€¦ but I introduced him as my boss (at the time he was) and also friend. We visited and I cut his hair (as I was a stylist) and they gradually got used to him as my friend. We never stayed over or anything. And he didnā€™t either at our home. It was an easy transition. Eventually we were just a familyā€¦

4 Likes

6 months but only as a friend who occasionally stops by. Donā€™t get him involved in your kids lives until at least a year.

2 Likes

I always kept my social life separate from my family life. Iā€™ve done a lot of dating, but my kids only met 3 of them and that was at almost the year mark, because by then we were seriously dating. Two lasted 6 yearsā€¦and 7 years and the 3rd, I married.

1 Like

I introduced them to mine through a group putting about 6 months in. Fast forward 2 years, I think it was the best decision I could have made to wait .

When you feel totally comfortable doing so. If your questioning it you may have some doubts give it time.
Relationships are always good at first.
I wouldnā€™t introduce my kids at a young age to anybody I was dating because their father was deceased and they were starving for a male in their life.
You never can be completely sure these days so I didnā€™t want to introduce them to anybody then they get close to them and things donā€™t work out then your kids hearts are broken as well.

2 Likes

Itā€™s when you get comfortable. Personally, if someone insisted on meeting my child before I was comfortable with it, and I have never had a problem telling someone I wasnā€™t ready to introduce them, Iā€™d be concerned. In todayā€™s world trusting people with your children is hard. Also, have you checked out his background?

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a good sign that he wants to meet your children and, 3mths is good enough time if you see this as a long-term relationship.

3 Likes

Really depends on your individual situation and your kids! No set answer! Some kids you can introduce a friend earlier than others. Also, how many, if any other friends have you already introduced? Do they have a solid relationship with the other parent? Does the other parent have a friend around as well.