Who is in the right?

I would just have you claim one and him claim the other. That way there isn’t any issues. If you decided to go back on it I can see how he could be upset, for legality of things I would get it in writing your agreement so you don’t have any further issues.

And for what he is using the money for it should not matter.

4 Likes

We can’t really answer this question without more information, do you have 100% custody? Does he pay child support? Does he support the children financially & do they live with him at least 50% of the year? The child support goes to the parent who supports the child 50% of the year or more who the children live with.

3 Likes

If the children live with you full time and only visit him and you support them financially more than 50% of the time, you should’ve never agreed to give him $1000 as that money should all go to you. Only one parent can claim the children. The one who they live with who supports them.

5 Likes

Its 3000$ a child now? So that’s an extra 1000 per kid this year isn’t it?

If you wanted to stop the agreement it should have been after you gave him the 1000 not right befor

7 Likes

He’s irresponsible but you don’t have a job? :eyes:

8 Likes

That’s wrong you made the agreement you should stick to it.its not hos fault you are not working is it?

3 Likes

Yes u r u agree to it , he did it yr b4 , I be piss too , I would do each claim one kid leave it like that but u bk out of agreement just so u could keep money doesn’t matter what reason is if this last yr he would said no to u …u been piss too

I mean its a shitty thing for you to do to him (IF he’s being a good father) but he really can’t do anything. As long as the kids have lived with you for more than 6 months than you have the legal right to claim them. Whoever got the child tax credit money this year is the person that should be claiming the kids though.

So just because you don’t like what he would spend the money on means he shouldn’t get it? What if it was his year and he did that to you? You need to get a job, cause even with a down payment you aren’t getting a loan for anything. Give him the $1000 like you agreed to, next year he can give you $1000. And after that you can just stop because that’s f*cking insane and clearly causes issues.

5 Likes

Keep the agreement. When it comes to coparenting something like this can damage that relationship for years.

4 Likes

If it’s not in a court order it’s only a verbal agreement and won’t hold up in court… If you have primary residential custody you are under no obligation to do that.

4 Likes

I mean, yeah. It’s sucks that you need the money, but you don’t just go back on your word with people. Maybe you could get a job? Not sure what your situation is. Then, this wouldn’t be such an issue. Also, it’s really not your business what he spends his money. He works for it, he can spend his money on whatever he likes. As far as him contacting the IRS, he’s an idiot. The kids live with you. You can’t get into trouble for claiming your own kids🙄 stick to the agreement and give him is portion. Moving forward, don’t make agreements with people, if you’re not able to keep them.

8 Likes

You had an agreement.
Period

7 Likes

If you both financially support your children and there was an agreement then yes you are wrong…how you going to just decide that you dont want this agreement anymore…like if the shoe was on the other foot and he decided you would be big mad too…you will see how it feels come next year when you the one a**ed out on the money.He has every right to be upset…you wrong :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I hope he takes your ass to court and gets full custody so that when he files taxes he ain’t gotta give you shit😑 he gave you the $1,000 last year? But now you wanna back out last minute🙄 this should have been spoken about well before taxes or you should have stuck with the agreement this year and then told him no more. I bet next year when he claims them, you’ll be needing that $1,000🤷🏼‍♀️

Well for one it’s whoever beats it to the punch & not much they’ll do if u show u supported said dependant for half the year BUT…and I will exaggerate that…sound to me like ur the one in the wrong here…I say this because we are only as good as our words & I’ve made an agreement with another person for any reason it’s never been me that’s went back on my word…just not in my character!

2 Likes

Keep the agreement, it was working just fine until you didn’t have income.

8 Likes

He can report you all day, if they live with you, and?
If you don’t have a court order, you better make it happen.
If he’s always broke, good luck getting custody.

Be an adult and get a fucking job? Like you’re a parent and not working? Wtf is wrong with you? You made the agreement, stick to it.

Wow. He is their parent too. He should get the $1000. When it was his turn to give it to you, he did. Hold up to your end of the deal. How selfish of you!

9 Likes

Keep the agreement. Keep the peace.
Get a second job.
Good luck :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Keep the agreement. I would he livid if someone did this too me. It’s not right to go back on your word especially last minute :unamused:

5 Likes

He’s irresponsible but you don’t have a job? Whose paying your bills the government? He should take the kids and keep it all. You should have kept your word.

8 Likes

Because you have no job he should be understanding.
What is your Court Ordered Child arrangement?

3 Likes

I really really really hope he files taxes quick next year and does this to you.

5 Likes

So the year you are suppose to give him the $ you decide, you don’t want to do it anymore?? That’s convenient :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

You’re wrong. Give him the $1,000. And it’s not up to you to decide if what he wants to spend it on is stupid or not. Not everyone who works has tons of money left over all the time.
Also, how can you continue to save money for a down payment on something if you don’t even have a job?
Imagine if he did this to you instead? I’m sure you wouldn’t be too happy.

6 Likes

Why don’t you have a job? Just because he has a job doesn’t mean you should all of a sudden not want the agreement anymore. I wonder if he did this to you, would you not be upset with him? And is there not a court order?

8 Likes

Who has primary custody? N is there a agreement on paper n filed through court? If you have primary custody n there’s no paper work then he doesn’t have a leg to stand on but if you have custody n there is filed paper work saying that you pay x amount out of taxes every year then your screwed

1 Like

Just curious who received the CTC from July-Dec? If him , he received $1800 already. But you should never go back on your word especially last minute. Maybe he had his own plans kind of like you. Also, more info is really needed too.

5 Likes

What does Friend of the Court say?

Keep the agreement. You’d be pissed if it was the other way around.

8 Likes

Sounds a little selfish honestly exspecially if he did his part and gave it to you when you was supposed to get it 🤷

4 Likes

You are in the wrong, you two agreed to this.

6 Likes

Let him and you tell him you will swear to the 1000$ arrangement

You need to set custody through a court.

5 Likes

If they live with you more than 50% then it doesn’t matter. You claim them, you get all the money. That’s the law.

7 Likes

You’re 100% bogus AF

Get a damn job. Not his problem you’re unemployed.

What’s the custody situation? And that was an asshole move. The best option would be for you each to claim one child

Why don’t you each claim for 1 child per year then you’d both get some and neither of you would need to hand over any money to one another.

12 Likes

You’re wrong and you know it.

12 Likes

Give it to him this year, then stop the agreement next year when it’s his turn to give you the $1,000 y’all agreed upon. Bet your mind changes then :joy:

15 Likes

U r selfish…sorry but deal is one sided not coolon ur end…seriously

2 Likes

He can’t report you for anything that isn’t in writing and signed by a judge. Verbal agreements between two parties without official court documents don’t mean anything to anyone because there are no legal boundaries that have been put in place. Therefore neither of you have any “rules” to break, bc none have been legally established. As long as separated or divorced parents aren’t both trying to claim the same kids, the IRS doesn’t care. Agreeing to something and then having it drawn up by an attorney and filed in court is the best way to go. That way both of you have something to fall back on going forward.

1 Like

You are 100% in the wrong. Going back on your agreement like that is bullshit and petty. He shouldn’t police your spending just as you should not police his. Plain and simple. I hope next year you are also fine with him claiming them and you getting NOTHING.

Unless court ordered the only one who should be claiming is the one who has the children over 50% of the time. We don’t know the circumstances under which this agreement was made (physical, emotional, financial abuse etc) don’t ever make agreements like this outside of court. Get a court order

2 Likes

If yourve only done it for 2 years both of you have gotten the $1000 each so he needs to suck it up life changes and if money is tight you look out for your household first it sucks yes but you ain’t ripping him off and you can change to a new arrangement of claim 1 child each that way no exchanging of money. Your arrangement ain’t a legal document so call his bluff about taking you to court.

If you have them majority of the year and residential custody, you have the right to claim them. If there is no court papers stating how taxes must be filed, then I would assume this is a civil dispute.

You really waited until last minute to tell him. He could’ve had something planned with that money. You also chose to end the agreement the year you’re supposed to give him money. Give him the $1,000 you agreed to give him. You’d be throwing the same fit if he did this to you.

5 Likes

Yupp nope we had a similar situation this year but my husband and his ex. She was supposed to give us 500 last year since she claimed their daughter. Well since she received the ctc it screwed us so she had to claim once again. She now owes us 1000 since it is part of court/custody agreement. She will hopefully pull through soon.

Yes. You are 100% wrong. You made an agreement, and now that it doesn’t benefit you, you want to back out. What would have happened if it was his year to claim and he backed out? Ughh The smart thing to do is, since yall have 2 kids. How about you each claim 1 child.

2 Likes

Just give him the 1k. You already get way more this year with the child tac credit increase.

1 Like

Make life easier and each of you claim one kid every year.

1 Like

Stick to the agreement your sounding selfish

Why don’t y’all just each claim one child each to make it easier?

1 Like

Your defiantly not in the wrong

Obviously (from your post)
That money won’t be spent on your son
But instead things he wants

You keep that money

I think it would be nice to give each other $1,000. Considering you only get every other year. That’s how me and mine do it. Its much better and helps both parties out

Are you not divorced? The children are with you. How old are the children??

1. It sounds like this story is missing a LOT of context.

2. If it was your year, you would not say you didn’t want to agree.

3. You had an agreement, but because it suits you not to continue the agreement, you want to stop.

4. Who are you to judge how he spends his money? As long as the kids are all set, what does it matter what he does with his money? You’re not together. Not your business. Not your place to judge.

5. You’re wrong, and you know it. You just want a bunch of strangers who do not have the whole story to tell you your right, so you can throw it in his face.

8 Likes

You should have thought that through more.

I mean how would you feel if he did that to you? It’s not his problem you don’t have a job? Y’all aren’t together anymore he’s not responsible for your extra savings.

1 Like

If the it was reversed- wouldn’t you be mad? Your word is your word - at least with my people.

2 Likes

You’re being selfish. You’d get mad if he backed out on his year so why do you think he’s upset? You made an agreement and it doesn’t benefit you this year so you want to stop. Bet next year, you’ll say it’s back on cause you have the kids most of the time.

1 Like

You backed out on a promise …when it was your turn to hand over the dough…someone had to put an end to this nonsense. two kids…from now I’d claim one and he’d claim the other…it’s fair this way.

2 Likes

It isn’t fair to tell him last minute. He probably does need that money, and so what if he does want to spend some of it on himself? There’s nothing wrong with that. You are saving your half for a down payment, he should be able to do what he wants with his half.

3 Likes

Sounds like someone got greedy ! Stand by your word that’s all your worth…

4 Likes

What is the down-payment for?

You only have your word in this life

2 Likes

If rolls were reversed you would be on here complaining that he backed out of your agreement :roll_eyes: he spends irresponsibly but has a job, where you don’t have a job…

12 Likes

Why don’t you just claim one kid and he claims the other?

6 Likes

Give him the money. He deserves it. He could have claimed all the children and you wouldn’t have gotten as much back.

1 Like

yes you should not have gone back on the agreement

1 Like

You’re wrong. You should have changed your mind when it was his turn to give you $1,000

10 Likes

You should’ve held your end of the bargain. If roles were reversed you’d be pretty upset. I’d say next year each of all claim one child

4 Likes

If this was court documented you wouldn’t be able to go back on it… this is pretty crappy to do ngl.

1 Like

Do the kids live with you?
Then it’s YOUR taxes, not his.
Do you sis.

2 Likes

I’d give atleast 500… that was the deal, or yes he claims one child you claim the other. It’s the right thing to do

1 Like

You can do whatever you want "without his knowledge " as in filing your taxes …as for the money you promised him how would you feel if he decided to not to give you the money and don’t going saying you wouldn’t care because you would mad …

You’re not working why should you reap the benefits…you sound pretty greedy not handing that grand over …I’m sure if it was the other way around you’d report him

5 Likes

Yeah nah you owe him $1000 man

4 Likes

If you both split responsibility, finances, or he pays child support etc then you should be giving him half. I’m assuming with 2 kids you get a good couple thousand so 1,000 shouldn’t hurt your pockets and it’s not his fault YOU don’t have a job

2 Likes

If you promised him then you need to give it to him

2 Likes

Does he help support the children 50-50?

1 Like

Honestly seems like your in the wrong you only decide he shouldn’t get $1,000 because it’s your turn to give it and things are a lil rough. That’s unfair and plain petty. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him to fork out $1000 for you the year he did based off what your telling us about him but he did. You should have been saving up all year putting away bits of money so when tax season comes and it’s your turn to hold up your end of an agreement you have the cash and it isn’t going to hurt you because you have to take it all out of your Income at once.
If he has the children in his care also and they go to his house and he provides for them also then he is entitled to a portion of that baby bonus. That money is not yours it is for your children’s basic needs and if he’s providing some of that with his own income then yes you owe him that money or half the baby bonus each month.
The fact you have to ask if your in the wrong shows you already know you are.

6 Likes

By law whoever has the kids at least six months out of the year claims them, you said you have the kids so there you go!!

5 Likes

If this was your way of thinking you should have discussed it with him way before just filing your taxes. Kinda shady if you ask me. So over money you’re willing to risk moving a “ great friendship “ into toxic co - parenting ?

6 Likes

If your questioning your decision, it must have not been the right thing to do. If it was your turn would you have cancelled the agreement?

1 Like

If it was the other way around,how would you feel

4 Likes

I question how you’re living or saving money without a job. Get one. Give him the money you promised.

1 Like

You are in the wrong :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

What does it say in the divorce papers or friend of the court?

You should just give him the money and if you feel that he’s untrustworthy with the kids take him to court make him get supervised visitation with the Kids

You’re in the wrong.

Wherever the kids lives most of the time us who files. Let him report you there is no proof. If he helps you with out of pocket expenses then I’d consider giving him 500 at least. If he doesn’t see children to often then you rightfully claim taxes.

5 Likes

How much does he have the kids out of the year ? Is it half, he should get half, is it never. What does he spend on him VS. You? What is truly fair through out the year, why do people never look at that ?

You are definitely in the wrong

1 Like

Just saying if there is texts of him pushing you, then threatening you with that, it’s blackmail. Which is illegal

You’re in the wrong but he’s wrong for how he’s handling it

If the children live with you more than 50% of the time then by law you are to claim him, but if he does help you out financially throughout the year with the children then you should give him the $1000 but if he doesn’t help out financially at all throughout the year then no I don’t think you are wrong at all! It’s a sticky situation though.

1 Like