My Family Has An Issue With Me Naming My Son Lucifer: What Should I Do?

QUESTION:

"So, I really love the name Lucifer for my son (My favorite show is Lucifer lol), But my family is totally against it because it is the name of the "Devil". I don't believe in God or the devil, so to me, it's just a name…Should I change the name of my son because of my family?"

RELATED QUESTION: Am I A Terrible Person For Not Liking My Step-Daughter?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

"Call me different. If you love the name then name that child Lucifer. If he has a middle name and decides to go by that due to any ridicule then that’s a back up plan. But name your child WHAT EVER YOU WANT."

"Just remember the name you give your child they have to live with. You have to think of school and what other people will be thinking and acting out towards your child. He could be bullied and teased. It's a lot on a child."

"I have heard, introducing your self as the name you want to give your child can give you a perspective of how people will react to your child. From now introduce yourself as Lucifer and see how people treat you."

"Just remember while you won't hold the name against him, some people will. Maybe kids at school, maybe mean teachers, maybe the parents of girls he wants to date. Maybe employers. The teen years are terrible enough. I mean sure, be a rebel. Get a doggie and name him that. But not your baby who will have to grow up with the consequences of the choices you make."

"I'm all for using whatever name you want but I’d also encourage you to think about your child. They'll have to deal with whatever name you pick for the rest of their life which will include potential teasing/bullying. Also, is this particular name just a fad/phase because you're into a certain show right now or will you really love it and not regret it in a year or two."

"When naming a child think ahead to adulthood…..like college, future jobs, etc. If someone named Lucifer came for a job, chances are he won't get hired. Use it as a middle name, give him a proper first name and call him whatever you want."

"Remember one thing - it's YOUR child to name, not theirs! If they have a problem with it, then they will have to live with it."

"Girl name him what you want. No ones opinion should matter. My family didn’t want me to name my daughter Daisey and that made me want to do it all the more."

"I wouldn't change the name for your family. I would however think of what his life, school and professional career will be like with that name."

"Man if we got everyone’s opinion on naming a child I don’t think any child would actually have a name, someone always gonna have a problem or don’t like it it’s up to you and the father not anyone else. I like the name."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

Well if I were you . I would just add Junior to his name so both of you experience the public stigma . I would say in society Lucifer generally represents evil so it’s pretty insensitive to give your son a name that instantly causes him humiliation or conflict . That’s selfish of the parent to be that egotistical. Just saying .

4 Likes

I would make it a middle name honestly it is a cool name and awesome show but the stigma could be bad in school at least as a middle name he has a choice if he goes by it or not.

You can name your child anything you want. But you have to think about all the teasing he might have to deal with in life due to the name. I would name a dog or cat that before a child, tbh

1 Like

I get wanting to name your child after your fave show/character,I want to do the same.However,we live in a world filled with nasty people.Too many persons see the name of Lucifer as “the devil”, hence this would lead to ridicule or him being outcast, by not only children but adults as wepp especially those “religious” people. The name Lucifer itself is beautiful and even as a strong believer I have nothing against the name. Believe me when I say it’s crossed my mind many times what will happen if I named my child Lucifer.Being a teacher as well, I can tell you his schoolmates will not give him an easy time.However,it is your child and if you really want to, name him Lucifer, it’s not our choice. But personally IMO it’s better for the child as a middle name not a first name.

I have the right to name my baby douchebag but I don’t. See the point??

Totally agree. It’s selfish and abusive. Don’t have kids.

Honest truth:
I wouldn’t name a child after the incarnate of evil, from ANY religion.
Real talk: your child will be bullied and ridiculed for that name.
You won’t be able to stop it or protect him from it.
This is why I struggled so much with naming my daughter.
I wanted to make sure I had a name for her she wouldn’t grow to resent or hate.

1 Like

When you choose a name for your child that they have to live with for the rest of their lives, you need to consider how that name is going to affect how people see them. They will hold it against you if it has a negative effect. Life is hard enough without a name with negative connotations.

You’re right! Naming a child is everyone’s business these days. He would have hell with this name

I like the name too but it is associated with evil. So if you decide to name your baby Lucifer I would call him Luc or something like it. Cause people can be mean.

You may love it. But your kid will have no friends. It’s not what you believe it’s what’s in a name. And that name sparks nothing good. It’s like setting your kid up to be evil doer. #notagoodlook

Yes it is your child to name but definitely think of the child. They are the ones that have to go through life with that name. I also like the show Lucifer so maybe try Samael which is another name he goes by…and they can always go by Sam if they want. Just a suggestion. I have a cousin who named their child Medusa smh

Basically give in to a demanding family, Hey Jesus wasnt exactly a humanitarian, he came for dividing families but most Christians dont want to hear that.

I would name him Lucifer Satan, its your child, you should name him whatever you want, People would be offended no matter what you do, and i would be the type to ignore offended family because they have a cross up their bums.

1 Like

I’m not one to judge or to tell people what to name their child(ren).
With that being said, when your Son begins school, some kids are going to be so cruel and vile to your Son, maybe some adults too.
I have seen it first hand, some kids are mean, vindictive and cruel.
Not ALL…SOME
I like the name, yes it is related to the “Devil”, but you do what you see fit.

Think about it: Lucifer is a name that is pretty much universally NEGATIVE. Consider that.

1 Like

You may like the name now because of the show but it was cancelled . In 5 years, when he starts school, people won’t remember the shoew but will remember Lucifer in the Bible. Unfortunately, children and especially teenagers can be terrible. They will use any excuse to tease and bully another child. Why set your child up for that. Use it as a middle name if you are that attached to it. I was teased because my name rhymed with melon; it was awful to be tease about sonething I had no control over.

1 Like

Yea. You think it’s ok, but your kid has to live with it ! God bless your son!:nut_and_bolt::nut_and_bolt:

Could have named him samael

1 Like

I have the right to name my baby douchebag but I don’t.

Not for your family.
But you are creating a victim
of being bullied. Kids are
ruthless.

I agree. Your child may have different feelings about God than you and may be very unhappy you named him Lucifer.

You should consider the consequences your son may face growing up. The majority of humankind believe in a God of some kind & most believe in the devil. Remember, people can be very cruel.

When we name our children, of course we choose names we like. However, it’s really not about us, is it? It’s about the human being who has to live each second of their life with that name. Please don’t condemn your child to a life of odd stares and humiliation because you think a name is cool. (it is pretty cool, BTW). If I named my kid after some of my favorite TV character, they’d been names Pikachu, Buffy and Stimpy

My children had to go through school with the last name of Rice and that was hard enough on them. Please think carefully what you name a child. Especially this day in age. Unfortunately kids are cruel and they can come up with enough reasons to be mean dont add to it.

Not because of your family but because of your son and the ridicule he stands to endure

Too burdensome of a name for anyone. Think of how to honor the man you want him to be.

We carry our names around for our whole life. Naming your son something that you like is fine for you, But he will have to deal with it for the rest of his life. More then likely he will change it the first chance he is able. You might consider Hitler, or Stalin as alternatives. There hated as well but not by as large a group as those who would hate Lucifer.

Instead of limiting the good people, we should be changing the character of those who hurt and bully kids off of a name!!! Raise your kids better!

**if I have another girl I’m naming her maziken, it’s beautiful and I love the show, too!

“ Lucifer is a Latin word that means “light bearer” and was originally the name for the planet Venus, known as the “morning star.” In the Old Testament the planet Venus is referred to under this name.”

Lucifer is a “nickname” they gave Satan as an Angel. He was named Satan after he fell from heaven.

It’s just a name which originated from the original name of the planet Venus. Others should educate themselves before judging. There’s a “bad seed” with everyone’s name somewhere. Bring the name new life and meaning, restore it with a new face.

I think it’s a good name its meaning is good means morning star it was the devil’s name when he was an angel not anymore so it’s ok to use it’s not his name anymore so what you feel is right it’s not an evil name cause it’s not the devil’s name only when he was gods angel but he isn’t that anymore so the meaning is beautiful it’s not evil.

I think it would be cruel to name your kid that. You may love it right now, in the moment, but think of what your kid might go through

Family reaction is justified keeping the repercussions of the name in mind. If you feel you are ok with dealing with the after math of keeping the name and your kid’s emotion of dealing with having a name like that…
Then go for it…
However RETHINK!

Since you love the name, get a black and name it Lucifer.
Have a little respect for your parents and your child. When he finds out you named him after the Devil hand he will, regardless of your views - he will surely wonder why you thought he was a devil. Going to name a future daughter Cruella?

Black cat! Not “Black”!

This is pretty funny because I said the same thing about the name Lucifer…I absolutely love it! Eventhough I do believe in God and Devil…Lucifer was also the most beautiful angel until he messed up…BUT,I wouldn’t want my son to get treated badly or counted out or teased because of the name I chose for him…as much as I,myself would love to use the name if I have another son I couldn’t put my baby through a lifetime of bullshit over a name…you can use it as a middle name if you feel very strongly about the name but,I wouldn’t use it as a first name…but that’s my opinion.

You live in a world where you assume people believe as you do. Sure some might attach stigma to this name, but many would not. Not everyone shares in your beliefs. Some of us choose to not push our beliefs on others nor judge people for theirs.

1 Like

YOU may not have an issue with the name, but your son has to grow up in a world that will stigmatize him and make his life harder. Why go there??? We have to protect our children as much as we can. Life is hard enough

The boys and even the men will call him LUCY when they want to be insulting.

YOU may not have an issue with the name, but your poor baby (and someday man) will be stigmatized by society which will make his life more difficult. Why go there? Life is hard enough for our children. Choose another name <3

Lucifer Morning Star was the fallen angels name. I like it personally, but I named my first son Malachi and now I’m forever damned with ppl making comments about the children of the corn. Yeah I get it but Malachi is also a saint too. So do what u want but I’d think of all the pros and cons first.

Imagine him trying to get a job and judgmental HR sees his resume. Do you think he will be hired over someone else with less qualifications but a regular name? Also, in the UK that name is illegal. All names must be approved and Lucifer will never be. Hope he never wants to live there.

Just saying you maybe the worst Karen I have ever seen online. Who are you to say she’s selfish for naming her child what she wants.

I think Lucifer is a good name. But I grew up with the name, Cinamon Colley. I was the stick dog. My mom used to tell me that having an odd name helps you to create your character. Well, I am one HELL of a character. Well, mom, I am definalrty one hell of a character now. Hahahahaha

How about Luke? Means the same, is way cooler, and is much more acceptable.

Makes you a very selfish mother and not thinking how this will affect your child. Putting him in the exposition to be rejected because of his name is just selfish smh

Here in Toronto, my friend named his son Satan Diablo (that was in 2001). Someone reported him and he wound up having to go to court about it. He won his suit and was able to keep the name he’d chosen (he also has full custody and the Mom isn’t present in either of their lives).

Satan is now a young man and he is sweet and kind and thoughtful. He is very social and has a lot of friends. So, let’s keep in mind that when kids choose whom to pick on, it has a lot to do with demeanour. Such as, they would pick someone who doesn’t speak up often, or seems easy to pick on. Because that’s how bullies work.

If you like the name, then use it. It’s your choice as the parent.

I would say name your child anything you want. With that said, as others have said remember your child will have to live with that name and deal with it going through school and growing up and… AND more importantly if you live in a liberal state be ready to deal with social and child services. There have been numerous documented cases and videos of families being harassed by social services because of choosing to name their children “questionable” names according to societal norms…